Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't change default settings

• Please log in to reply

bettei

bettei

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Hello,
I recently changed my virus protection program, and when it downloaded, I had to remove any other competing virus protection. I would like to download the Malwarebytes program again, and I don't seem to be able to do this.

I found a link on this forum on where to download it, I saved the file to my desktop (Firefox) and try to open it. It keeps telling me the default player is not a supported file format. I made a slideshow and have been editing pics with Digital Image Suite, and somehow that keeps coming back to being the default player. How this happened, I have no clue. I have tried going to the saved mbam file, right clicking, and changing "open with" to Firefox, but it keeps going back to the default player, which won't open it.

This should be a simple thing, but I can't figure out how to get that default setting back to where it was so I can use Malwarebytes. Thanks

Advertisements

MikeMason

MikeMason

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
That's quite a strange problem. I'm not sure why Digital Image Suite is trying to open an executable file. Does the mbam file have ".exe" after it's name? If you can't see file extensions go to My computer, click the tools tab, folder options and then view, untick "Hide extensions for known file types". Have you tried downloading Malwarebytes again? It may not have downloaded properly and could be corrupted.

If none of that works. If you're using Windows XP Download exefix from here http://windowsxp.mvps.org/exefile.htm. This utility fixes the exe file association in the registry automatically for you.

There is a similar program for Windows 7 but unfortunately I've never used it. So you would have to look around the internet yourself!

Edited by MikeMason, 10 August 2012 - 11:30 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
If the suggestion by my colleague does not work please try this

1. Here are the instructions for how to install MBAM free edition.

http://helpdesk.malw...es-anti-malware

Here is the direct download link for MBAM, from Malwarebytes, but in the case of the free edition, it will then take you to CNet for the download.

http://www.malwareby...lwarebytes_free

Do NOT SAVE the download, click run and then you are back on the guide of how to install.

If that does not work, then uninstall from Control Panel add/remove prograsm if it is listed there

Then run this

http://helpdesk.malw...es-anti-malware

Then attempt to install again.

WHAT may I ask is your new AV program -

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
The first download I did was not an exe file, and was not able to run it. I kept searching your files for your link to download Mbam file, and I did that, and noticed it was an exe file. So I was able to run and install that one.

The first link to mbam was from someone else's link, and did not work for me. I deleted that link.

So thanks!

MikeMason

MikeMason

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
It's np at all. I had a feeling it wasn't an exe file you downloaded. That's why I wanted you to check the file extension of the file!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Good job Mike, you were right on with this one. :thumbsup: