Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Sata Windows XP Pro Install

• Please log in to reply

GrimPingu

GrimPingu

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
i have een tol that my sluggishness comes from using an olf 40GB drive as the main winsows drive.

i have a 120gb maxtor ide and a 160gbsata which windows currently wont see.

the otherboard doesnt come witha sata install so i will have to make my own.

please can someone walk me throughthe process of installing windows onto a sata and having the 120gb ide as a secondary?

i need to do this later today and wont be able to access internet untill ive got the pc working again :tazz:.

so ill need a pretty good explanation.

i know how to fdisk and format normal drives but do i dothe S-ATA the same way as an IDE? sorry for the noobyness of this post but this is my last hope before i try and do it later.

also, please can someone direct me to the right driver page? - im a little sketchy on drivers, ive had serious driver problems in the past and would like to get something right for once

Edited by GrimPingu, 04 June 2005 - 07:53 PM.

Advertisements

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Pretty straight forward stuff but you didn't list your motherboard or what SATA controller is on it so I'll give you an approach in generic terms and let you fill in the particulars. First thing you'll need to do is identify your SATA controller and put a set of XP drivers for it on a floppy. Secondly, because different mobo's and different BIOS'es require different settings I'd generally recommend you set boot order to floppy, CD and SATA in that order. Third, I'd disconnect all but your SATA drive and then boot to your XP CD. AT the prompt for controller drivers hit F6 and just continue on following the screens. When you get prompted to setup, you'll get an opportunity to fomat the drive or if necessary, delete the existing partirion, create a new one and then format. When the time comes, Windows is goign to ask you for that disk with the SATA controller drivers and all you have to be able to do is follow instructions. Once your install is complete, you can reconnect your other drives and you will be in business with your OS on the SATA and your boot ini files on the same drive.

:tazz:

GrimPingu

GrimPingu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thanks rockster, does anyone know how i can find the info on my specific motherboard?

ive got an Asus A8v Deluxe, thats all the box says :tazz:

anyone else with this prblem? - Rockster says its straight forward, but all i want is the driverss toput onmy floppy. please help, im going to print the text off this pagefor use when doing the install.

Edited by GrimPingu, 05 June 2005 - 05:49 AM.

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Here you go.

GrimPingu

GrimPingu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
ThanksRockster, ive got aproblem thoguh...their site is soooooosluggish, im on a 512K connection and i'd hate to see a 56Ker having to go there! their menu's arent the best either :tazz:

is that one website for everyone in the world or something? its so unbelievably slow for me.

all other web pages workfine for me

thanks for pointing me in the direction of the download site ;)

GrimPingu

GrimPingu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Ok, i put drivers off the motherboard CD onto a disk and tried it but windows installed said something about no driver for the mass storae device (i pressed S then insert the disk and press enter as it told me to)

ive downloaded the drivers off of the website but they look exactly the same as i tried before, ill try then then get back to you... im using the .exe to extract all the files needed to the floppy. - if im backk in less than 2 hours, its unsuccessful. if im never back... its realy unsuccessful :tazz:

GrimPingu

GrimPingu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
when i click the .exe its only copying the files for PIDE... ie tried to open the SATA folder and theres nothing inside of it. hen i try to copy the files manualy it copies the Viasraid security catalogue and the Viasraid setup information but i get an error when it tries to copy the viasraid system file.

"Cannot copy Viasraid: The drive cannot find the sector requested"

whats that all about? any way around this?

GrimPingu

GrimPingu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Anoyone know a way of putting a system file nto a floppy? because i cant do it without the error popping up :tazz:

ballistik kevin

ballistik kevin

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
i have the same trouble if i try to make a floppy

GrimPingu

GrimPingu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Bah, which bright spark decided to invent the S-ATA drive? - he/she needs shooting... :tazz: (No, im actually joking!)

should i try looking on a different set of forums for the answer? - maybe theyve got an explanation ;)

Advertisements

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts

should i try looking on a different set of forums for the answer? - maybe theyve got an explanation

Geez ......... thanks. I was about to go look at the files you are having trouble with, but you go ahead and do anything you want. I'll hold off for 24 hours and if you still have a problem, post back.

Regards,

GrimPingu

GrimPingu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
wow, wow, wow Rockster2u.... :tazz: Im sorry, i was only asking weather i should...

I would be extremely greatful if you could look at them. It is harming my computer confidence ;)

i just cant understand why the program that Asus provide has only extracted the PIDE files to the disk and left out the S-ATA files which of course i cannot manualy copy over because of the stupid error

Please take a look for me :help:

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
I just wrote a book and lost the post somewhere, somehow. In any event to recap albeit much briefer - you have two SATA controllers there as you know, one is Promise, the other is VIA. The Via is bit faster, so you are making good decision to put your drive on that one. Still, you want to install drivers for both when you do your XP installation - trust me, it will save potential headaches down the road.

Now, we need your ASUS CD that came with your motherboard and two blank formatted floppy disks. Lets start with Promise. Put the CD in a machine but don't let it run - cancel or close it out when it starts. now, using windows explorer, navigate to th drivers folder on the CD and then to Promise and then to the RAID Drivers. Insert a floppy and double click Make Disk. One down one to go. Remove the floppy when its done and repeat the same procedure for your VIA drivers, again navigate to the VIA RAID folder and find the sub folder titled driver disk - open it and you will see Make Disk. Double click it. Remove the floppy when its done.

Guess that wasn't so tough after all huh?

Now you have drivers for use at the F6 prompt when you do your next installation - install both the Promise and the VIA drivers. I would also advise you disconnect the IDE drive when yu do your installation and hook it back up later - that will keep all of your boot files on the SATA drive.

Edited by Rockster2U, 05 June 2005 - 01:20 PM.

GrimPingu

GrimPingu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thank you very much Rockster2u... i was trying to put the wrong files onto the disk (although i was clicking a make disk in a driver folder somewere ;) )

Greatly appreciated :help:

And this Forum gets a massive :tazz: 10/10 :help:

Edited by GrimPingu, 05 June 2005 - 07:42 PM.

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Glad to help. Thanks for the kudos on behalf of the entire Staff. ;)

As a word of caution re: safe computing - be careful about giving anyone you don't know access to your machine through a remote connection, regardless of the generous spirit in which it is offered.

Regards,