Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No sound after computer repair

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Nickynoodles41

Nickynoodles41

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
:angry: I am really angry with this guy at this point - I also am worried as he has my son's laptop at the moment worth over £600!! I will be taking the tower back to him first thing in the morning as I honestly had no idea I had anything illegal on it!! :angry:

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Wait till I get verification on this but you can do a search for XP Pro Performance Edition and see that there are well over 10 million listings for it and I have yet to find anything that suggest it is a legal OS.
I hate to be the one to bring this kind of news but please look and see what I mean. I am still waiting on the verification to come. :(

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Unless a Admin or a Global Moderator says anything different I think we are at the point of my post 60.
This does mean I have to close this topic so that no further help can be given. :(
The steps are very clear what you have to try and do but I would really push for the person who installed it to correct this issue. Legally he is responsible for the illegal installation. I will give you a chance to respond along with any final responses from all involved and then close this topic. You are welcome to pm myself, a global moderator or any admin for clarification on this and I really am sorry to have to do this. Your patience, willingness to try everything we have suggested is to be commended. :thumbsup:

Nickynoodles41

Nickynoodles41

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
No thank you so very much for bringing this to my attention! I am really disappointed as I paid good money and had complete faith in the person who sold me the machine, who, I have to add is trading as a computer repair and seller!!

I will let you know the outcome, by pm but I respect and totally understand your need to close this topic down asap!

Thank you all for your help though.
Nicky x

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I just thought of something Nicky. Is there any where on your system a sticker that says what the original installed OS and a serial number stuck to it? It could be on the side, the back, the bottom and I have even seen it on the inside of the case.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It should look like this below.

Nickynoodles41

Nickynoodles41

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Yes there is on the back and its: XP windows home edition

So the mere fact that its home edition now rings alarm bells

Edited by rshaffer61, 12 August 2012 - 10:36 AM.
Removed serial number

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK this may not be as bad as originally thought. Here is what you need to do.
Have this guy install XP Home Edition and the serial number on that sticker.
You will be legal at that point. If he can supply you with a OS disk that would be great.
Then you will need to get the 100 plus updates that Windows will need along with the drivers to get your system up to date.
Any data you want to save needs to be done before this guy does anything because he is going to have to format the system to do this legally.

Nickynoodles41

Nickynoodles41

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Okay will let you know after that what happens!! :rolleyes:

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You get this all done and when done you will have SP3 and I will bet you the sound will work.
When you are all up to date return here and pm me and I will reopen this topic and we can assist you with any updates you need. Please understand I will need proof this has been done and I will ask for that before we can help. ;)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
For now I will close this topic pursuant to the TOU with the OS installation. Feel free to message me when you are ready. Good luck and again thank you for being so understanding. :thumbsup: