Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Adding RAM to an old computer

• Please log in to reply

Ozzy13

Ozzy13

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi, i want to add another GB of RAM to an old desk top i have been slowly upgrading, but i don't know a whole lot about RAM... First off, where is a good place to start looking to buy ram? and is there any way to add more components to the motherboard to have the capacity to add more then two slots worth of ram? also, i know there are many varieties of ram types and such, so could somebody give me some info on choosing the correct type and such? Thanks!

Advertisements

MikeMason

MikeMason

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
This is a very good guide. This program will scan your computer and tell you what memory you need to buy. http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/

Use this as a guide only. You should consult your motherboard manual it will tell you iwhat memory type your motherboard uses.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi Ozzy13
You can only use the memory slots that are available on the board.

Use the Crucial system scanner tool to find the best recommended Ram for your system, no need to purchase from there, write down the details and shop around for the best deal http://www.crucial.c...ner/?click=true let us know what is suggested and we can also look for you.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Laptop or Desktop?
  • If a name brand system then what brand, make and model is the system?
  • If custom built then what brand, make and model is the motherboard

Ozzy13

Ozzy13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thank you for all the replies guys!

Rshaffer61: it is a desktop. HP Pavilion a1310n

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Use Phill's suggestion of the Crucial online Scanner as it will give you the exact configuration, total amount you can install and even give you suggested types that are compatible with your system. From there Phill can check around and see if he can find it for you cheaper somewhere. Hood job with the info requested. :thumbsup:

Ozzy13

Ozzy13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Okay, i did the scanner and here is the info it gave me. Memory Type: DDR PC3200, DDR (non-ECC)
Maximum Memory: 4GB
Currently Installed Memory: 1GB
Total Memory Slots: 4
Available Memory Slots: 2

i still have the page up if you need more info. you guys rock!

MikeMason

MikeMason

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
You're set to go with that information you've posted up Ozzy13. Just look around for DDR PC3200, DDR (non-ECC) RAM. You motherboard can handle a maximum of 4GB of RAM.

*EDIT* Misread post.

Edited by MikeMason, 11 August 2012 - 10:35 AM.

Ozzy13

Ozzy13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Awesome. would you guys mind helping me look around for a good price?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

OK maybe I'm not reading this right but I suspect the max per slot is 1 gig each for a total of 4 gigs.
Presently looks to be 2 slots with 512 megs each for a total of 1 gig installed. :whistling:

Advertisements

MikeMason

MikeMason

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Phil is good at that. He helped me a couple of days ago!

Ozzy13

Ozzy13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

OK maybe I'm not reading this right but I suspect the max per slot is 1 gig each for a total of 4 gigs.
Presently looks to be 2 slots with 512 megs each for a total of 1 gig installed. :whistling:

that does sound very reasonable.... okay!

i will start looking around for 4 1gb sticks then.

MikeMason

MikeMason

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
*EDIT*

I'm wrong rshaffer61 is right.

Edited by MikeMason, 11 August 2012 - 10:34 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep you are right. If it were me I would go with 3 x 1 gig modules all the same and take out the 2 512 megs modules completely.
Remember a 32 bit OS will not even utilize anything more then 3.5 gigs total anyway.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Can you let us know in what country you are so we can suggest the appropriate store/s a UK option as an example http://www.saverstor...emory/pcmemry10 and US http://www.amazon.co...N/dp/B0009PAYY8 or http://www.newegg.co..., DDR (non-ECC)