Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Latest XP Pro SP3 CD-Rom that'll work with my product key?

• Please log in to reply

maskedwarrior

maskedwarrior

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi there. Could you help me identify what kind of version of XP pro I have and where I can find an up-to-date CD-Rom including SP3 etc. that'll work with my product key? I want it for future clean installs because, ss I'm sure you are well aware, it's just so much cleaner than running all those hundreds (it seems) of updates!

I've had some brain aches in the past trying to make my own... etc but really I need some help

I successfully managed to get one for an OEM XP Home build that worked great. But no such luck with my Pro version. It just wouldn't accept my product key!

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Tony

Edited by maskedwarrior, 11 August 2012 - 09:55 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
IS your XP Pro SP3 a OEM version?

maskedwarrior

maskedwarrior

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi that's the thing I'm not sure. The original sticker went walkies and it doesnt say on the cd. It may not be.

All I have is a blurry photo of the serial taken with my phone, you annoyingly can't see the top bit where it says OEM or not...

oh edit: In case I was unclear before... My xp pro was bought a while ago , it had sp2 on the original cd. Hence why I'm looking for an up-to-date sp3 cd that'll work with my serial number :)

Edited by maskedwarrior, 11 August 2012 - 04:07 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If it was the original preinstalled OS then yes it is a OEM version.

maskedwarrior

maskedwarrior

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
No it wasn't pre installed. I bought the CD about 6 years ago and installed it on my mum's PC, stuck the sticker on the case too, then chucked it away!

So, to sum up: I have a product key which I purchased... looking for a newer CD that'll work with it. Either OEM or not.... is there any way to find out from the serial number alone?? and is there a place to get an up to date CD??

Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

So, to sum up: I have a product key which I purchased... looking for a newer CD that'll work with it. Either OEM or not.

OK this is the problem because a OEM number won't work on a retail version and the same the other way around. The other option you have is to borrow a cd that matches what serial number is for and install it that way.
I'm going to try and talk to a Tech staff person about finding a copy for you but I really need to know if you need a OEM or a Retail version.
A easy way to tell is when you bought it was there just a disk or were there manuals that came with it?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Even if it proves possible to slipstream SP3 and your present CD to burn a new CD, you will of course still have all updates, both critical security updates and others issued since SP3 and all driver updates to install.

It very much depends I think on the reason for the clean install.

If for instance the clean install is the last resort to solve a problem, where Windows will simply not load and cannot be recovered by any means, other than a reinstall, then it is usually far easier to simply recover from an image.

Additionally of course, this method allows you to recover all your programs and all other files as well, but OBVIOUSLY only from when the image was made, but your personal data of course, can be restored from a simple backup.

I am not sure what this means

I bought the CD about 6 years ago and installed it on my mum's PC, stuck the sticker on the case too, then chucked it away!

as it cannot mean you chucked the CD away, unless I have misunderstood as you also say

The original sticker went walkies and it doesnt say on the cd.

I have a product key which I purchased... looking for a newer CD that'll work with it.

so, I presume you mean the case in which the CD was.

I am sure it is me not quite understanding what it is YOU NOW HAVE.

If I am correct and you have the product key AND you have the CD for that product key, then from the aspect of a clean install and making it easy by incorporating SP3, it will only REALLY be that much easier if you also slipstreamed all updates since SP3 using

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wul.html

Win Updates List and the procedure here using NLite.

Run WinUpdatesList. You'll see a list of all the updates you've installed, and sorting by date and type should show you what you've installed since the last service pack. Right-click on an update, and you'll get a link to a related Microsoft Knowledge Base article, where you should be able to download the fix directly and patch it into nLite. You can also roll executables for Windows updates—like Internet Explorer 8 which will be another update, into your disc.

NLite

http://www.nliteos.com/

see the guides section.

So in summary, apart from the small benefit of not having to install SP3, you will still have all the other updates to do, issued from SP3 and ALL this depends of course as my colleague rshaffer61 has said, on what you have and I offer for your consideration, on WHY you would view the clean install necessary.

Then of course you also have to consider

But no such luck with my Pro version. It just wouldn't accept my product key!

WHY and the answer to that will be easier I think when as my colleague has said we know what is was you bought 6 years ago and indeed what it was you bought that would not accept the product key.

maskedwarrior

maskedwarrior

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi, thanks for your promises of help and thoughtful replies, truly. Just to clarify a few bits.... Sorry for not being crystal clear to begin with.

I bought a version of Windows XP Pro a good few years ago to install on a home build for my mum.

I installed it and put the product key label or 'sticker' on the side of the machine casing. I later photographed it just in case it got lost... as this was the only copy of the serial number to activate that version of Windows I had.

The original home build system + product key label did indeed get thrown out.... (by me, cos I'm an [bleep]!)

So I'm left with the original CD-ROM and the photo of the Product Key Label, which doesn't show the text at the top describing the version of windows... Ie. oem etc. So... discerning what the version is was one of the things I need help with. Is there any way you can tell from the Product Key itself??

The Original CD says 'For distribution with new PC only. For product support, contact the manufacturer of your PC.' Which makes me think OEM...

However, the other big trouble I've previously was downloading an OEM OR retail slipstreamed CD that hadn't also been CRACKED!

So, perhaps to simplify this... I'm after some suggestions on where to locate LATEST RETAIL or SLIPSTREAMED XP Pro CD-ROMS - either OEM or RETAIL - that include as many up-to-date security add-ons etc. as possible - that will boot in my CD drive and ask me for a product serial number.... so I can use my legitimate one, which I mentioned above.

Sorry, I had no idea it would be this complicated when I started out! lol
Tony

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

The Original CD says 'For distribution with new PC only. For product support, contact the manufacturer of your PC.' Which makes me think OEM...

Yes this is a OEM version but we need to also know if it was Home, Media or Pro version.

I'm after some suggestions on where to locate LATEST RETAIL or SLIPSTREAMED XP Pro CD-ROMS - either OEM or RETAIL - that include as many up-to-date security add-ons etc. as possible

Please understand that even a SP3 release is 4 years old now according to this:

Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) was released to manufacturing on April 21, 2008, and to the public via both the Microsoft Download Center and Windows Update on May 6, 2008.

That means you would still have over 100 updates that would be needed once you installed it.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

That means you would still have over 100 updates that would be needed once you installed it.

Indeed and as I said on my post 7. So you now have confirmation that even a CD with SP3 will leave you all the updates since then

Even if it proves possible to slipstream SP3 and your present CD to burn a new CD, you will of course still have all updates, both critical security updates and others issued since SP3 and all driver updates to install.

and to the best of my knowledge there is no reliable retail sale of CD`s that include all of these.

What concerns me slightly is what YOU mean by this

However, the other big trouble I've previously was downloading an OEM OR retail slipstreamed CD that hadn't also been CRACKED!

as the generally accepted meaning is a version of an O/S to which has been applied a "CRACK" so that installation attempts to circumvent the requirement to either insert a product key and activate windows.

With the increased levels of security from Microsoft, such "cracks" work less and less these days and of course it is a COMPLETELY illegal and clear breach of licensing conditions AND as my colleague rshaffer61 will confirm a matter which we are ABSOLUTELY unprepared to discuss or to offer ANY help or assistance in any regard.

From out Terms of Use

• We will NOT help anyone we suspect of having obtained their software or services illegally.

Therefore without making any allegation that any O/S you are running or intending to run uses such software to CRACK the legal requirements of the licensing conditions, if it does, then NOW is the time to say so.

In my opinion before we continue, and please wait for my colleague rshaffer61 who is a Moderator (Senior Staff Member) on this site, I would wish to see the results of a Micorosoft Genuine Advantage report, to satisfy ourselves that we are not assisting with problems relating to the clean install of such software.

Advertisements

maskedwarrior

maskedwarrior

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

We will NOT help anyone we suspect of having obtained their software or services illegally.

I

Thanks for the lecture man, but I'm looking for a CD-Rom that requires a Product Key to use with my own legit product key.... how exactly does that translate as me dealing in stolen goods?

Last time i checked there are a hundred slip-streamed, cracked versions available... why would I be wasting my time here if that's what I wanted??? Think for a second dude.

Yes this is a OEM version but we need to also know if it was Home, Media or Pro version.

I already said it was Pro... I thank you for your time I really do, but am I being given the run around here as a suspected villain?? Are you biding time before the swat team break down my door?? lol

I simply want a legit up-to-date XP Pro CD to use with my LEGIT Prduct KEY. I have said nothing that would or should make you suspect any different.

I run a music recording system that needs as stable and fast a system as poss. XP is the system of choice for the software I run.... If you have any other accusations to make please refrain and simply bid me a good day.

Life's too short for this hassle.
Peace.
TOny

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am sorry you took it that way, as a lecture

I did actually say

Therefore without making any allegation that any O/S you are running or intending to run uses such software to CRACK the legal requirements of the licensing conditions, if it does, then NOW is the time to say so.

The ONLY reason I mentioned it is, that you posted

I think the answer is as my colleague and I have both said. AND the real answer to the problem, if indeed there is a problem, is to slipstream SP3 to your XP CD, burning a new CD, using Win Update if you wish and see if it will work.

OR do as I suggested and whilst the system is ALL OK create a complete image.

and although it is not really of relevance to this topic, I have responded to your posts before on this one here

http://www.geekstogo...__fromsearch__1

Once again I apologise if you have misinterpreted my post, perhaps it was my error in the way I worded the post.

maskedwarrior

maskedwarrior

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thanks for apologizing for what you describe as my misunderstanding ;) That's a kind and diplomatically worded gesture lol but I don't need appeasing. I'm not cross. I just appreciate any help I'm given!

I meant by this that I can't find a slipstreamed XP pro on the net that hasn't also been cracked. I didn't say I'd been using or even downloaded any! lol

I thought there might be a site with loads of free slipstreamed cd-roms for folks running XP in my position..

I have a drive image, I have several.... but they are all taken from this install.... which was made from the old SP2 2 cd-rom I mentioned...

Anyhoo. Thanks for your time.
Kind regards,
Tony

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Masked I have explained that there is a site that if you have your product key you can legally download the OEM Pro SP3. I just have to talk to the tech that knows what it is. I'm not playing with you and if that is how you want to take it then I am truly sorry. It takes time since we are not all here 24\7.
You came here and we have explained the situation. I can't get the info till that Tech logs in. Since this is a issue HERE is the site but I cant tell you where the files are.

maskedwarrior

maskedwarrior

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thanks and NO PROBLEMS. I think you were caught in the cross fire as I felt a little taken aback by suggestions I might be a criminal. lol ALL GOOD. Love and light and universal good will to all brethen..... X