Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Latest XP Pro SP3 CD-Rom that'll work with my product key?

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just to clarify everything SP3 came out 4 years ago. No matter what you get you will still have to go through all the updates to get everything Microsoft has released in that time period.
The only way you will be able to not do this is to make a image of your drive once those updates are done and have it for your restore. Any new updates will not be included on that image after you are done. We're not trying to be hard but what you are asking is specific to the system considering drivers for one system won't be the same for another. Programs installed and updates for those programs will also differ from system to system. I understand what you are looking for but realistically it doesn't exist short of making a image of your drive.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Well, lets start again, please. I did say perhaps it was my error in the way I worded the post.

Hopefully I can clarify for you some of the points I have already made.

If you need clarification of anything my colleague has said, then I am sure he will be back on the topic shortly.

1. You can place SP3 from the direct download for SP3 to incorporate it on a new burnt CD with the files from the existing XP SP2 CD.

It does NOT always work with an OEM CD, which as my colleague has said it appears you have - as it depends on how the original equipment manufacturer eg Dell Hp etc, has altered the file system of the basic Microsoft XP CD in its retail version.

SOME OEM Cd`s cannot be successfully copied to a "slipstreamed" CD.

2. Even if you manage that, you will as we have both said have all the updates since SP3 to download and the only way round that one is to use Win Update that I sent you.

Those of course in some respects are particular to that computer, so EVEN IF you managed that it could then only be installed on that computer.

3. The LATEST image of the present system although installed from the SP2, would have course have all updates etc and SP3, etc, so that if you were to create one now, and the system was working to your satisfaction then you wuld have NO updates to download.

Of course that will not produce a CLEAN install of Windows, but usually, as I said previously, you would I think only resort to that to resolve problems.

4. I can send you other guides if you wish to making that slipstreamed CD, addtional to the one I included on my previous post from NLite, together with the WinUpdates download.

5. In my experience, when SP3 was first released, as it incorporated nearly every update since SP2, there was a great benefit in having a slipstreamed CD incorporating SP3, NOT ONLY from the aspect of a clean install but also from the point of view of using it for a repair install of Windows and indeed for the system file checker, when it requires the CD.

HOWEVER as time has progressed and there are now so many updates since SP3 the benefits have lessened.

I hope this explains what I was trying to say on my previous detailed post, a little better for you.

Note please being typed before the Moderators reply above was visible to me.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I have a ideal that may work better then the disk if this is going to be used on only one system. :whistling:
Setup your system with XP Pro with all the updates. Get your AV installed and working. Your browser you prefer with your favorites and email addresses all done. Now this is the interesting part. Get you a smaller hard drive say like a 40 gig or so. Clone your drive to that and put it away. Now if you ever have to reload your system you have a actual backup that should take less then 30 minutes to clone over to a new hard drive or to the hard drive you are resetting up.
I did this with my daughters system 3 years ago because she was having so much trouble keeping infections off it. Worked like a charm. You would only then have to backups of data and then reinstall any programs. :thumbsup:

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
HERE is the direct link to the file you want. XP Pro OEM SP3. Click on the RED lettering for the download. :thumbsup:

maskedwarrior

maskedwarrior

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Macboatmaster and rshaffer61, sorry for the delay gettin back to you. I've been away.

Thanks for all your trouble and thoughtful replies. I already use backup images thanks, I wanted an up-to-date cd so, at some point in the future, I can make as stream-lined an installation as I can.

I will check out the links you sent, thanks rshaffer61, that's incredibly helpful!

And Macboatmaster if I draw a blank for any reason from these links I may well take you up on your offer for more info on Slipstreaming.
Best wishes,
Tony