Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Inability to Access Certain Sites

• Please log in to reply

inoknow

inoknow

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am unable to access certain sites on my computer, including Google (both the search engine and gmail), Facebook, and my school email. I can access other ones (Yahoo, for instance, and Hulu) and they work as they normally do. Google and Facebook both load the top display bar, but nothing else--the rest of the screen is white. When I try to use the search bar, I can enter an inquiry, but I get no results, and only, eventually, a "Internet Explorer cannot display this webpage."
I have tried running my security scans--I have some office depot support thing, as well as McAfee Total Protection. I've restarted my computer, disconnected then reconnected to the wireless server I'm using (home). No difference. I've also tried testing my internet connection (a right-click option on the connection bar symbol)and was able to indicate a specific site I was having trouble with (www.google.com), and my computer detected no problems.
I also had a friend tell me to look at my task manager, but I do not know enough about computers to identify anything "weird." I believe my computer uses Windows 7 (as that's what's on this sticker here :P), and it's a Toshiba, and I got it about a year ago and have had no problems thus far.
I'd also guess that the problem is my computer and not my internet server because two other laptops and my smart phone--all using the same server--have no trouble
So, what should I do? Is this a little problems that I can easily fix? Do I need to take my computer in to someone?

Thanks! :)

(Also, I apologize if this is not posted in an appropriate area. And also for my lack of correct computer speak :P.)

EDIT: This began today.

Edited by inoknow, 11 August 2012 - 10:07 PM.

Advertisements

RubiksHQ

RubiksHQ

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Hi.
Could you try and download a different web browser and go on the sites you were unable to access on Internet Explorer? Just wanting to make sure it's not just the browser.
So you ran scans on your computer and nothing was detected?

inoknow

inoknow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi.
Could you try and download a different web browser and go on the sites you were unable to access on Internet Explorer? Just wanting to make sure it's not just the browser.

Oh yeah! I have Mozilla too.
Google search works just fine.
Gmail probably works...but I forget my password and my school email (the one previously mentioned) is the only one it's linked to and it's not loading. :blush: I can still access my school email on my phone, though. So could there be a problem with my computer?

And what do I do about Internet Explorer? Download it anew?

So you ran scans on your computer and nothing was detected?

Yes, that's correct. (Or, at least it seems the programs repaired whatever problems they detected, if any.)

(And thanks)

Edited by inoknow, 11 August 2012 - 10:21 PM.

RubiksHQ

RubiksHQ

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Lets try removing your temp. files.

Download TFC to your desktop.
  • Close any open windows.
  • Double click the TFC icon to run the program
  • TFC will close all open programs itself in order to run,
  • Click the Start button to begin the process.
  • Allow TFC to run uninterrupted.
  • The program should not take long to finish it's job
  • Once its finished it should automatically reboot your machine,
  • if it doesn't, manually reboot to ensure a complete clean

inoknow

inoknow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Alright, I did that.
Those sites still don't work in IE, sadly.

RubiksHQ

RubiksHQ

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
This might be a problem with Malware, so I advise you to check in there to receive help from the GTG malware staff volunteers.

Please create a thread in the Virus, Spyware, Malware Removal section and follow the instructions as stated here.
If you have not received a response in 3 days, please start a new thread in The Waiting Room with ONLY:
  • a link to your topic
  • Brief description of your issue i.e Malware - Hardware- Application - Operating system.
  • the date it was posted

inoknow

inoknow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you.