Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ouch! This is why I should let the pro's do it

• Please log in to reply

WinterStorm

WinterStorm

• Pip
  • 5 posts
:tazz: Gateway 500s Win xp, just attempted to install 256MB in the open slot, followed all directions from Gateway and from BestBuy where I purchased the ram...when I reattatched all cables and turned everything back on, I get no power to keyboard, to mouse. I've checked them a hundred times. the modem is on but when I put a disk or floppy in, nothing happens. The monitor is powered but the only message it gives me is a brief "power saving mode" before it hibernates. I removed the new memory to return to original state, same results. I cant get squat...boohoo pleeeeeeze help!!

Advertisements

bazcor

bazcor

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Well it's unlikely that you have caused any permanent damage to the computer :tazz:

Sounds as if it's not making the POST test successfully, do you get any beep codes from the speaker at all?

Best to start it with a minimum of hardware connected, just the PSU, keyboard and video card are enough to show a successful POST. Try resetting the BIOS defaults using the jumper which is usually close to the battery, your handbook should tell you how to do it.

I'm sure someone with a better knowledge of Gateway computers will be along with more suggestions soon.

good luck .. Barry

WinterStorm

WinterStorm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
No beeps, the modem's light comes on I hear it whirring but then nothing further, nor any recognition of a disk or the a drive. The keyboard wont power up so I'm a bit helpless :tazz: How can something so easy go so wrong?? sheesh. thanks for any and all help!

pgarvie

pgarvie

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
like he said strip it down to bare bones then if you have more than one memory chip try putting just one in
basically your computer show have
motherboard, cpu, harddrive, video card
the only other thing it could be would be somthing shorting out one of you cards make sure none of your wires are touching things their not supposed to also check to make sure you have all your conections in properly (hdcables in the right order and pluged in the right way same with the floppy cables)

WinterStorm

WinterStorm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I took your advise and reseated the original memory card, the motherboard etc... minimal toys to start adding one by one as I went and Voila!!! :tazz: Thanks for the help!

pgarvie

pgarvie

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
great no problem, you might have had a wire backwards or somwething not inserted properly the advice to strip it to the bones is always a good one :tazz: i use it all the time