Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC doesn't boot....RAM problem....please Help?

• Please log in to reply

pranav164

pranav164

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
The photo contains my PC configuration.
There is a startup problem every time i boot my PC. It is happening since i added a new Dynet 2Gb DDR2 RAM.

It is showing there is Memory R/W failure. And it says "recent hardware or software changes must have damaged you computer."
I have 2x2Gb slots. Transcend 1GB in primary slot and the Dynet 2GB in the other one.

I performed many startup repairs (almost everyday, once or twice) but still not able to boot up my computer. It boots up properly after i remove that RAM.

I also performed MemTest+. with pass 1. and it showed no errors. It is really annoying because i everyday have to perform startup repairs.
What do you think is the problem guys? It will be really helpful if you guys can make out the problem and tell me the possible solution.

config.jpg

the image shows...slot#2 RAM's properties...
i couldn't show add the props of the other not-working-RAm coz it does not let the PC boot

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

It boots up properly after i remove that RAM.

Which the new ram?
Have you tried removing the old and just running with the new?
It sounds like incompatible ram is the issue.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

I have 2x2Gb slots. Transcend 1GB in primary slot and the Dynet 2GB in the other one.

As mentioned your ram are surely not compatible to work together. They should always be of the same brand (2 Transcend or 2 Dynex) and the same strenght (2 x 1gb or 2 x 2gb) if you want them to work in Dual Channel.

Tell us your motherboard model and we can check if it is possible to have the two ram you have work in single channel or if you can only have two ram working in dual channel.

Hope that helps.

pranav164

pranav164

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
The new RAM is Dynet DDR2 2Gb.
The old RAM is Transcend DDR2 1Gb.

Yes i have tried every combination with both of these RAM to attach in the slots.
1. When i attach both, the problem is - system asks for Startup Repair everytime, -everytime.

2. When i attach only the new RAM, the PC boots but Monitor remains blank. I had tried to wait to at least listen to the Windows startup music, but unfortunately after waiting for 5 minutes, i didn't hear any sound.

Well, i'm not sure about the speed of the new RAM, but 333Mhz is the speed of old 1Gb RAM, although, i had asked the shop person to give me RAM with 333Mhz speed.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can we get the following which will provide the info Alzeimer asked for also.

Please download CPUz from my signature below

[1:] Save it to your desktop.
[2:] Click on the icon it creates and let it run
[3:] I need the following information from it.
[4:] First click on the Mainboard tab at the top of the window and give me Manufacturer and Model number it shows
[5:] Click on the Memory tab and give me the Type and Size of memory it shows.
[6:] Click on the SPD tab and get me the Max Bandwidth line information.
Please include in your next reply

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

pranav164

pranav164

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

As mentioned your ram are surely not compatible to work together. They should always be of the same brand (2 Transcend or 2 Dynex) and the same strenght (2 x 1gb or 2 x 2gb) if you want them to work in Dual Channel.

Tell us your motherboard model and we can check if it is possible to have the two ram you have work in single channel or if you can only have two ram working in dual channel.

Hope that helps.

Thank you Alzeimer for the reply

i am attaching an image having my motherboard configuration...

Posted Image

and English is not a problem here :) . You are helping me is far a good thing.

Thank you,
Pranav

pranav164

pranav164

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Can we get the following which will provide the info Alzeimer asked for also.

Please download CPUz from my signature below

[1:] Save it to your desktop.
[2:] Click on the icon it creates and let it run
[3:] I need the following information from it.
[4:] First click on the Mainboard tab at the top of the window and give me Manufacturer and Model number it shows
[5:] Click on the Memory tab and give me the Type and Size of memory it shows.
[6:] Click on the SPD tab and get me the Max Bandwidth line information.
Please include in your next reply

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

hey thanks for the reply rshaffer61,

i have already attached an image which contains CPU , MEMORY, SPD and GRAOHICS tabs from CPU-Z.

The MAINBOARD tab i have just now attached in reply to Alzeimer.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK something is not right because using the motherboard your picture shows m2n-mx se plus it only shows 2 memory slots and you say you have 4 of them on your motherboard.

pranav164

pranav164

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

OK something is not right because using the motherboard your picture shows m2n-mx se plus it only shows 2 memory slots and you say you have 4 of them on your motherboard.

there seems to be a misunderstanding here.

I have 2X2Gb slots(i.e. 2 slots with 2Gb capacity each), not 4 slots.

so in total i have 2 slots with maximum 2Gb RAM capacity each( 4Gb RAM max for my PC).

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
In post 4 you stated:

Well, i'm not sure about the speed of the new RAM, but 333Mhz is the speed of old 1Gb RAM, although, i had asked the shop person to give me RAM with 333Mhz speed.

Interesting you say the old ram was 333mhz but looking at the memory specs for the system it shows the following.

2 x240-pin DIMM, Max. 4 GB, DDR2 1066/800/667/533 Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
These are the instruction for your motherboard concerning memory

As for your Dynex 2gb that you say your system won't start with check the memory speed of it so it matches one of the following as described in your manual.

pranav164

pranav164

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

In post 4 you stated:

Interesting you say the old ram was 333mhz but looking at the memory specs for the system it shows the following.

2 x240-pin DIMM, Max. 4 GB, DDR2 1066/800/667/533 Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory

it is 333mhz. it even says in my CPU-Z snaps!!
and the PC came with that 1Gb 333mhz Transcend DDR2 RAM!!

pranav164

pranav164

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Well i had read somewhere...
a person had same problem of RAM
he updated his BIOS....
do you recommend updating my BIOS?
how do i do it?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I still think the Dynet ram is the problem since you don't even get a video when booting with just that.
Bios updates you never want to do unless it will add some functionality to the motherboard you did not have before.
The newest bios update is from 2008 that I can find.
If you look at the link i provided earlier for your motherboard you can pick your OS and then go to downloads. Expand the bios area and you can see the 3 bios updates available. I see one will allow the bios to display the total memory installed.

pranav164

pranav164

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

I still think the Dynet ram is the problem since you don't even get a video when booting with just that.
Bios updates you never want to do unless it will add some functionality to the motherboard you did not have before.
The newest bios update is from 2008 that I can find.
If you look at the link i provided earlier for your motherboard you can pick your OS and then go to downloads. Expand the bios area and you can see the 3 bios updates available. I see one will allow the bios to display the total memory installed.

yes i had seen your link....i have already downloaded the .ROM file and some other file also...to be ready for updating it through flash drive USB. what do you say? should i go for it? 'cause its a bit risky work as my PC may stop forever.!!