Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PC doesn't boot....RAM problem....please Help?

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The chance of bricking your system is always there when doing a bios flash. Personally i have only done it a couple of times and usually to correct a known issue with a bios. The decision is yours but honestly I don't see anything with those updates that is going to help with your present issue.

Advertisements

pranav164

pranav164

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

The chance of bricking your system is always there when doing a bios flash. Personally i have only done it a couple of times and usually to correct a known issue with a bios. The decision is yours but honestly I don't see anything with those updates that is going to help with your present issue.

okay...
so again i have come back to zero :P :(
so there is some problem with my Dynet RAM....most probably because of 1.mixing up two different companies and 2.mainly because it doesnt even load video at boot up
:(
really annoyed with just 1Gb RAM...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you tried each stick of the Dynet by itself?
With only 2 memory slots it is limiting what you can do.
Not only try each module by itself but also try each module in each slot.

pranav164

pranav164

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
what combinations i tried and what problems i got :

1. Only old 1Gb RAM - PC works fine(of course slow due to only 1gig)
2. Only Dynet new RAM in primary slot - PC doesnt show video at all !!
3. Both RAMs with Dynet in Primary slot - same prob as above(2nd one)
4. Both RAMs with Transcend old RAM in Primary slot - PC boots, with startup repair everytime i need to perform, and ending up removing new RAM coz problem won't solve :/

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I don't see where you tried just one module of the Dynet alone.
Number 2 seems to be the closest but is that just one Dynet module by itself?
Also I want to just thow this out there.
Put just the old memory in and then do the following.

Go to HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system.
You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

pranav164

pranav164

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

I don't see where you tried just one module of the Dynet alone.
Number 2 seems to be the closest but is that just one Dynet module by itself?
Also I want to just thow this out there.
Put just the old memory in and then do the following.

Go to HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system.
You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

ok i will try and tell you.

And yes, that was the Dynet module itself...
that is what i mentioned in number 2. only dynet new memory. CPU starts, fans spin, but monitor remains blank!!

pranav164

pranav164

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
here it is :

http://www.crucial.c...B192ACB31D926C3

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK Crucial is verifying everything I have thought. Something with that original module is not adding up.
Can you please post the model number of the 1 gig module please?

pranav164

pranav164

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

OK Crucial is verifying everything I have thought. Something with that original module is not adding up.
Can you please post the model number of the 1 gig module please?

Sure :) although its included in the photo in the post.

Transcend 1Gb DDR2
Module Size - 1024 MBytes
Max Bandwidth - PC2-5300 (333 MHz)
Manufacturer - Transcend Information
Part Number - JM667QLU-16
Serial Number - 0007D595

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK now this is starting to come together. Take a look at this HERE.
This should be your original 1 gig memory module using the part number you just posted.
I think that module you have is mismarked because that part number shows it as being a 667 mhz module. Now if this is true it would answer why the original works and the new doesn't because it is way to slow. It would also verify everything we have found on the motherboard that says 333mhz memory will not work.

Advertisements

pranav164

pranav164

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

OK now this is starting to come together. Take a look at this HERE.
This should be your original 1 gig memory module using the part number you just posted.
I think that module you have is mismarked because that part number shows it as being a 667 mhz module. Now if this is true it would answer why the original works and the new doesn't because it is way to slow. It would also verify everything we have found on the motherboard that says 333mhz memory will not work.

hey thanks.

So according to you which one is slow? The new Dynet or the old Transcend one?

And if anyone of them is slower than the other one then can i overclock the slower RAM?

pranav164

pranav164

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
hey

I just updated my BIOS.

And i just took a chance to re-attach my new RAM....

at start i had to perform multiple startup repairs....i didnt work...

then i set the DRAM frequency to 533Mhz(the BIOS doesnt have 667MHz option :S ), but still the system did not boot...againg i had to perform startup repair...again failure!

but then i set the DRAM frequency back to "AUTO"...then when i started the PC....the windows started properly!!!(although this has happened early also, so i am not that happy because again when i boot my PC...it wont boot -sad-)...

so i took the advantage and through CPU-Z i took snapshots of the other memory slot....

i am attaching an image....it has info about the other RAM....

see SPD > Slot #2 in the image....

Untitled.png

i hope this helps us to understand more and solve the problem :)

Thank you,
Pranav

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I know what the problem is as I posted in my last post.
Your original memory is mislabeled and because it is mislabeled you bought what you thought was the correct memory.
You have to buy the 667 mhz memory and then everything will work together. If you can return the Dynet and get the right one you should be fine. I understand it is working now but I'm willing to bet it will reset itself and you will be back to where you were originally.
Besides having all the same type would be better then having mismatched memory.
If it works and you want to keep it then that is your decision ultimately but I would want all my memory to match in every way.

pranav164

pranav164

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

I know what the problem is as I posted in my last post.
Your original memory is mislabeled and because it is mislabeled you bought what you thought was the correct memory.
You have to buy the 667 mhz memory and then everything will work together. If you can return the Dynet and get the right one you should be fine. I understand it is working now but I'm willing to bet it will reset itself and you will be back to where you were originally.
Besides having all the same type would be better then having mismatched memory.
If it works and you want to keep it then that is your decision ultimately but I would want all my memory to match in every way.

Yes you are right...the situation came to where it was! :)

and about the mislabeling, even the CPU-Z says it is 333MHz!!

okay, any which ways, the ultimate problem is with the new Dynet RAM only.

So the ultimate solution will be to replace the Dynet 2GB RAM.

So can you just give me final quote that of what specs should i replace the RAM with new one?

Thanks,
Pranav

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK if it were me I would replace all the memory with these HERE. Get two of the 2 gig modules and that way they are matching.
Personally I would go with either the Mushkin or Crucial. You would be looking at at minimum of $54.00 plus shipping.Take out everything you have a put these in by themselves.