Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video card broken?

• Please log in to reply

Bylodates

Bylodates

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Greetings

I'll get to the point quickly. I have an old good ati radeon hd 2900 xt (http://www.gpureview...T-card-518.html site doesn't matter, just for specs) and the last couple of months it has been acting strange with games. I didn't have any problems when I played skyrim half a year ago, but when I downloaded the diablo 3 demo some 2 months ago it became unplayable.
A picture often says more than words, so I'll just drop a screenshot of skyrim I opened some minutes ago (http://i49.tinypic.com/2zio38z.jpg). Normally I wouldn't be bothered by it because I don't really play any games anymore, but my last exception will be guild wars 2, hoping I won't need to buy a new video card for this one game. I have the latest amd catalyst control center so I assume I have the latest drivers. Any little dust that was inside got blown away, I've put new cooling paste on the gpu and all in all the card looks fine.
Anyone know what's going on here? Thanks in advance!

Edited by Bylodates, 12 August 2012 - 10:50 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
:welcome: Bylodates

Common causes of artifacts are bad video memory (vram) heat and a bad power supply.
Can I first ask you to check the video cards memory using Video Memory Stress Test http://www.technibbl...ry-stress-test/

Let us know the results please.

Bylodates

Bylodates

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

:welcome: Bylodates

Common causes of artifacts are bad video memory (vram) heat and a bad power supply.
Can I first ask you to check the video cards memory using Video Memory Stress Test http://www.technibbl...ry-stress-test/

Let us know the results please.

WARNING: Your card can be not compatible with this test! If multiple errors will found, try test with onscreen buffer usage or wthout of ignoring colors bit mask.
Changing video mode to 640x480x16...OK
[12/08/2012 20:22:47] Test started for "ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT"...
Trying 16bpp RGB:565 mode...OK
Trying 16bpp RGB:555 mode...OK
Trying 16bpp BGR:565 mode...NOT SUPPORTED (Code: 80004001)
Trying 32bpp RGB:888 mode...OK
Trying 32bpp BGR:888 mode...NOT SUPPORTED (Code: 80004001)
[12/08/2012 21:16:47] Pass completed (0 errors found).

There seem to be no errors found, if I did everything correctly.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
:thumbsup:

Please check the temps and voltages now, use Speedfan first but depending on the results we may need to confirm the readings with another program;

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Bylodates

Bylodates

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

:thumbsup:

Please check the temps and voltages now, use Speedfan first but depending on the results we may need to confirm the readings with another program;

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Thanks for the quick response again!
Here is the screenshot:
Posted Image

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Thanks for the screenshot :thumbsup:

Couple of things, the +12V reading on the PSU is off, if it was really that low the computer would not work at all, you only have one fan reading and it is rather slow, this is most likely why your temps are rising in the screenshot, suggestions, 1: open Speedfan and then click on the GPU Fan + sign and increase it to 60% and see if it helps with the artifacts and the overall case cooling 2: run HWMonitor and again provide us with a screenshot so we can again check the temps and voltages http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

Bylodates

Bylodates

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Thanks for the screenshot :thumbsup:

Couple of things, the +12V reading on the PSU is off, if it was really that low the computer would not work at all, you only have one fan reading and it is rather slow, this is most likely why your temps are rising in the screenshot, suggestions, 1: open Speedfan and then click on the GPU Fan + sign and increase it to 60% and see if it helps with the artifacts and the overall case cooling 2: run HWMonitor and again provide us with a screenshot so we can again check the temps and voltages http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

I have put it on 60% but that's the loudest thing I have ever heard in my computer. I thought it was loud before but now it's like an airplane taking off, temperature decreases a bit though.
Here's the second screenshot
Posted Image

Edited by Bylodates, 12 August 2012 - 02:59 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Voltages now look ok but temps are still a bit high, knock the GPU fan back to 55% and do some gaming and see how it goes, but can you first run PCPitstop;

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop...pit/default.asp
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the PCPitstop instructions :thumbsup:

Bylodates

Bylodates

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Voltages now look ok but temps are still a bit high, knock the GPU fan back to 55% and do some gaming and see how it goes, but can you first run PCPitstop;

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop...pit/default.asp
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the PCPitstop instructions :thumbsup:

Thanks for the explanation. I've run pitstop and it only gives some minor flaws, like I've need to empty my recycle bin and be cautious about saving passwords in firefox, but nothing major.
The 3d tests were fluently, but I've taken a screenshot of it which shows the same problem:
Posted Image

No problems with 2d testings.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
You are welcome but can you please provide the requested PCPitstop url so that we can take a look.

NB: PCPitstop does not reveal any personal details whatsoever if that is a concern.

Advertisements

Bylodates

Bylodates

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

You are welcome but can you please provide the requested PCPitstop url so that we can take a look.

NB: PCPitstop does not reveal any personal details whatsoever if that is a concern.

Oh sorry, my mistake. Here is the link if that's any good: http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=25022106
Don't see any other way to share it.

Edited by Bylodates, 14 August 2012 - 09:10 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Thanks for the url :thumbsup:

Having had a close look at the results I can nothing out of the ordinary.

Can you provide your PSU details, brand and model name or number please.

Cautionary note, I note from your listed software that you download torrents, are you aware of the security and malware attack risks associated with downloading torrents.

Bylodates

Bylodates

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
*to be deleted*

Edited by Bylodates, 14 August 2012 - 11:02 AM.

Bylodates

Bylodates

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
*to be deleted*

Bylodates

Bylodates

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Thanks for the url :thumbsup:

Having had a close look at the results I can nothing out of the ordinary.

Can you provide your PSU details, brand and model name or number please.

Cautionary note, I note from your listed software that you download torrents, are you aware of the security and malware attack risks associated with downloading torrents.

I will take a look. But downloading torrents was ages ago, and I was aware, thanks for the warning :)

PSU details:

Seasonic, Model: SS-500GB Active PFC F3

Posted Image