Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello stevecb1300...

Regarding the "Verifying DMI Pool Data...Boot From ATAPI CD-ROM:Failure..." issue, while this can be caused by any number of things, I suspect that you are seeing this because the machine is set to boot from the CD-ROM and there is not a bootable disk in the drive. If you start the machine with the CD-ROM selected as the first boot device it will give you a boot failure for the device when boot instructions are not found there...it will then move on the the next boot device to look for the instructions. Changing the boot priority in the BIOS settings so that the System Drive (HDD) is the first boot device with the CD-ROM as second will usually stop this message.

The Task Manager may be a little tougher. First, let's take a look in the system32 folder to see if the executable is even there. With a machine of this age, who knows what may have been removed over the years.

Click on the Start button...then click on "Run". In the input field, type system32 and click "Ok". In the system32 folder that opens, look for the actual program (taskmgr.exe or taskmgr) to verify if it's even in the folder. If it's not there, copy the program from your other machine and transfer it to the current machine's system32 folder via flash drive or other removable media. Then try the Task Manager again by either pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete or by right clicking on the task bar and selecting "Start Task Manager" from the menu.

If taskmgr.exe is present in the System32 folder, but will not open, we'll take a look at the associated registry entries to see if the problem is caused by an improper Data Value there.

wannabe1

Advertisements

stevecb1300

stevecb1300

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hi Wannabe1 and thanks for your help..

Ok I'll need help with the 'Verifying DMI Pool Data...Boot From ATAPI CD-ROM:Failure' cure as I dont have a clue what your on about!
I understand its trying to boot from there etc.. but would'nt know how to fix it...

No taskmanager in my system32 file but have managed to copy it on to a disk for our laptop.

I just dont know how to get it into the system32 file on this pc! The disk autoruns when inserted but I cant copy it as I dont know the path to system32 if you know what I mean...

Thanks..

stevecb1300

stevecb1300

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Ok, I think I found the path..

When I put the cd in a box opens with taskmgr.exe

When I hi-light the destination folder"system32" and either select the copy or move button It says it already exists.. I select it any way but when I look its not gone there...

Thanks...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
For Task Manager, just copy it (right click - Copy) from the removable media, then click on the Start button, click on Run, type system32 and click "Ok". Then right click somewhere in the System32 folder that opens and choose "Paste". Close the System32 folder window and see if you can open Task Manager.

To change the Boot Priority, we need to enter the BIOS Setup. Restart the machine and at the Acer logo screen tap the F2 key (F1 on some Acer machines). Once in the BIOS Setup, use the arrow keys to select the "Boot" section. Under Boot Priority, select (using the arrow keys) the HDD (usually IDE0) and use the appropriate key (listed to the right...usually F5 = up - F6 = down)) to move the HDD into the top position (first boot device). Press F10 and then press Enter to exit BIOS Setup. Let the machine boot normally. Do you still receive the DMI Pool error?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sorry...we cross posted.

Open Control Panel...then open Folder Options. Under the View tab, locate and select "Show hidden files, folders, and drives". Take a look in the System32 folder...is taskmgr.exe there after doing this?

stevecb1300

stevecb1300

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
That Like magic! lol..

Task manager is now up and running on desktop pc..

My laptop is the Acer machine which is running fine, The problem pc is my desktop which is a Fujitsu Siemens is it the same procudure to change the boot priority?

Thanks...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I think the F2 key will still get you into BIOS, but after that you'll have to look for the information to make changes in the BIOS windows. You'll still use the arrow keys to make selections, but moving things up or down may require different keys. Some use the + or - keys for up or down. Some you have to select Boot Priority and press Enter...then make the moves using the appropriate keys.

The key to press for entering BIOS Setup should be shown on the bottom of the logo screen. There should be descriptions of the select and move keys on the individual BIOS screens.

stevecb1300

stevecb1300

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hi,
Ok, I have restarted the pc pressing each F key in turn(1 through 12). F5 and F8 brings up a Windows Advanced Options menu with various safe mode, enable VGA,enable boot logging options.
There was no BIOS option..
I tried hi-lighting the enable boot logging option(this the only one to do with booting)but nothing happened..

Still have the still have the DMI Pool error...

Thanks...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try the Esc key or the Delete key.

We don't see many of this make machine in this country so I'm really not familiar with how to access the BIOS. There should be a line of text on the logo screen, usually the bottom, that will say something to the effect of "Press <key> to enter Setup". Once you get into the setup, changing the boot priority should be pretty evident. You want the HDD to be first boot device and the optical drive the second boot device.

stevecb1300

stevecb1300

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
You cracked it!!

The delete key worked, thank you..

There are 3 boot priorities they are now set at 1 HDD
2 CD ROM
3 Floppy

I think thats the main issues fixed on the pc, I would like a little help on the folowing if you could, or point me in the right direction if you cant.

Is it possible to add more memory to this macine? Would it make a differance?
It seems slow to boot, sometimes its much quicker than others.
Very slow to swap between tabs when on the net...

Thanks....

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Great! :thumbsup:

Before we move on, let's make sure we're good on that Task Manager issue. Did you paste the copied taskmgr.exe into the System32 folder to make it work again? Or was it unhiding the files that did the trick? If it was the former, we need to go back and hide the files again in folder options. If it's the latter, we need to adjust the properties of the taskmgr.exe file so that it isn't hidden.

stevecb1300

stevecb1300

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
The task manager was copied from my laptop to my desktop pc(which didnt have it) and copied into system 32.. When you go into system 32 you can see it..

You could see it in sytem32 on the laptop it was copied from..

Thanks...

Oh, The Fujitsu Siemens desktop pc was purchased in Ireland 10years ago when I lived there! lol.. Its got a flat screen and looks modern! The tower is hidden under the desk..

Edited by stevecb1300, 08 September 2012 - 03:31 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It's not polite to confuse old people....

Is the memory for the lappy or the desktop? :P

You might try the Crucial Memory Scanner to see what you have and what you can have. It will also give you the memory specifications so you can order from your favorite online retailer of purchase it locally.

Or...give me the complete make and model of the machine and I'll look it up for you. Please take a look at your system properties (Rt click on My Computer and choose Properties) and let me know how much RAM is currently installed.

stevecb1300

stevecb1300

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hi,
Sorry for any confussion..
The Acer laptop is now working fine, with a big thanks again to this place..
All other help is for my Fujitsu Siemens desktop pc including the task manager and any further memory to be added..

Info about the system is below.. Is this enough?

Microsoft windows xp home edition version 2002. Service Pack 3
Fujitsu Siemens Computer
Intel®
Pentium®4 CPU 2.00Ghz
1.99 Ghz 256MB of RAM

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Adding memory will definitely give you a big boost in performance. Right now you have barely enough RAM to run Windows let alone enough to run anything else. That's why it's so slow. I would look at getting at least 2GB for that machine.

Give the crucial scanner a try. That should tell you the type of RAM you need and an idea of the cost.