Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

stevecb1300

stevecb1300

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Ok..Do you know of a similar program here in the UK?

This is an extract from a recent derfag report..

Volume 50_02_13 (C:)
Volume size = 74.56 GB
Cluster size = 4 KB
Used space = 13.63 GB
Free space = 60.93 GB
Percent free space = 81 %

Advertisements

stevecb1300

stevecb1300

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
This is a report from the Crucial memory scan..

Your MS-6398 (845 Ultra AR) System Specs
Scan Id: FC886B3F31D926C3

Memory:DDR PC2700, DDR PC3200
Memory Type: DDR PC2700, DDR PC3200, DDR (non-ECC)
Maximum Memory: 2GB
Currently Installed Memory: 256MB
Total Memory Slots: 3
Available Memory Slots: 2

256MB

DDR PC2100 EMPTY EMPTY

Each memory slot can hold DDR PC2700, DDR PC3200 with a maximum of 1GB per slot.*
*Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory.

Although it is physically possible to install more memory, the system will only recognize the maximum listed. Installing more memory may cause major problems. Consult the system's manufacturer for more information.
How much memory your Windows OS will recognize depends on which version of Windows you are running. 32-bit versions of Windows will see (and utilize) only 3GB or 3.5GB. To utilize more memory, install a 64-bit version of your OS. More information about OS memory maximums can be found here.
Memory or DRAM is the 'working' memory of the computer. It's used to store data for programs (sequences of instructions) on a temporary basis.
video - installing memory

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Running the scanner will give you the type of RAM you need. You can purchase the RAM anywhere you like...you don't have to buy it from Crucial. I usually put either Corsair or OCZ RAM in the computers I build or work on. Both are reliable and reasonably priced.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
heh...we cross posted again.
This is the RAM to look at. Two 1GB modules will have that machine moving along at a good clip. Pull the current module and install the two 1GB modules.

stevecb1300

stevecb1300

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Ok...

Im off to PC world tomorrow, If I ask for..

2GB (2x1GB) 184Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC3200)Desktop memory model etc they'll know what I mean?

I take out the existing, replace 1 of the new ones in its space and the other in an empty space?

It self installs?

Thanks...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yup...that's about the size of it. Make sure to have the machine unplugged when you install it...and touch a metal part of the case before you reach in to remove the RAM modules to reduce the risk of static discharge.

Note that the little notch on the connector side of the RAM module is offset slightly. Make sure to put it in so the slot lines up with the ridge in the slot. If it's not right, you'll have a devil of a time getting the module to fit. Push the modules firmly into the slot until the retainer clips at both ends of the module snap into their locked positions.

Let me know how you make out. I'm off to a wedding...see you tomorrow. :thumbsup:

stevecb1300

stevecb1300

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Thanks...

Enjoy the wedding but easy on the booze!Prob gonna need your advice tomorrow!!

Steve..

stevecb1300

stevecb1300

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hi,
Hope you had a good time at the wedding!

Ok, so been to a local pc store and got hold of 1 x 1GB RAM upgrade.
I could'nt get 2 as it was the last one they had, I'll order another online today..
So, do I swap it for the existing one or put it in as an addition?
Thanks...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I would recommend you replace the 256MB module with the 1GB module.

When you order your new module, try to get the same brand and speed as you bought locally. It's important that multiple RAM modules match in speed, voltage requirements, and latency...so having identical modules is preferable to mixing and matching.

Even with the single 1GB module installed you will enjoy a noticeable boost in performance.

The wedding was beautiful...as was my date. ;)

stevecb1300

stevecb1300

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Wow!!! What a differance.. Unbelievable..

Its like a new pc.. It takes 2.5 mins from turning on, going through log in, and on to the internet.. It used to take 10 to 15 mins with at least one re-start..

I've had multiple tabs open and it switches from one window to another almost instantly... It used to take an age! How strange to see what your typing instead of waiting 5-10 seconds! lol.

I've managed to install office 2003 which I was unable to do a few weeks ago, the one that was on there did'nt perform, Spell check was missing from it etc(and you can see I need it!).. I can send a document to the printer and print it without dreading to do it!

I was eager to install the new RAM so put it beside the original 256 one before I read your reply.. I'll order another one identical to the new one and swap it for the 256 one.

I have done a crucial memory scan and along with the my computer properties it says I'm at 1.25GB of RAM.
It took longer to get the dust out from the inside of the pc than it did to install the RAM.. Never been opened before to my knowledge. A friend had the pc for 6 months in a wood shop, and I used to have an ashtray on top of the tower! You can imagine!

Its sooooo quiet now...

Would like to thank you and Dakeyras again so much for the time and effort...

So what next?

Theres a few things on my desk top I'd like to get rid of, I'm not really sure what they are..
How do I get to the place wher you can choose what you allow on the start up?
Where would be the best place to learn a little about how a pc works? interested in the registry and what is it exactly? Any books you could recomend?

Glad you had a ball at the wedding, Hope you date did to!! :thumbsup:

Edited by stevecb1300, 09 September 2012 - 09:03 AM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The first step would be to go to Add or Remove Programs (from Control Panel), look for any programs you don't use, and uninstall them.

If you have documents and/or images stored on the desktop, remove them if you don't need them or don't know what they are.

There are several ways to stop programs from starting with Windows. Look in the Startup folder (Start button > All Programs > Startup) and if there's anything in there that you don't use, delete it. Many programs will also have the option within their Preferences or Options. If there are icons in the system tray, try opening them and looking for an option (check box) that tells it to start with Windows.

There is also the Microsoft Configuration Tool (msconfig), but I'd only recommend using that if you still have unneeded applications running after using the previous suggestions.

As for the registry, it's not a place to be experimenting. The Microsoft Windows XP Registy Guide is a good reference if you want to know what the registry is and what it does.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
My personal thanks to wannabe1 for the assistance...

--------------

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.