Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

stevecb1300

stevecb1300

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hello there..

New member needing help!

So about a month ago I broke my lap top trying to repair hardware problems.
It was a packard bell,It had an on/off button sunken into it and also the mains entry port? thingy was sunken in.. Took it to bits as could'nt start or charge it.. Bad move, its now in pieces in the bin...

Im using my desk top at the moment (has its own problems, hope to sort later!)and need help to fix a second hand acer lap top we have been given since I destroyed our own.

Its an acer travelmate 2490 and has XP Pro on it, and was given to us by a voluntry organisation that my partner helps 2 days aweek.

It was 1 of about 5 they had and was used by anyone who wanted to use it, staff, students, and the public.. It was not wiped before we were given it.

When its turned on you have to press control, alt and delete to get to a log on page, then press OK with no password entered to get on it.
I tried to put flash player so we could browse youtube etc. but was told we needed to be loged on as administrator.
Was given a password that seemed to work but still could'nt get admin privilages.
Didnt bother taking it any further at the time as was not a major issue.

Since then its got a fake file recovery virus. Tried to download several maleware removal tools but cant run them as no admin privilages!
It seems to have gotten worse and now the only thing thats on the desk top is internet explorer, everything else has disapeared.

I tried several things to get on as administrator so could download a anti virus prog but to no avail.
I've downloaded dban on to my desk top, put it on disc and tried to wipe the laptop clean with it but it wont run! When you click the start menu of the laptop theres nothing there, all files and progs seem to have gone..

How do i get to log on as admin to try and remove the virus?
Or how do I get to wipe it clean and start again?

Hope your still reading!! Thankyou

Steve

Advertisements

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. :)

Or how do I get to wipe it clean and start again?

Having read your entire topic/post, I honestly feel this is the best option in your situation with this machine:-

How do I restore my computer using the eRecovery Management program outside of Windows?

You may need the actual Windows XP Pro product activation code after the above is complete, if so that you would need to get that from the voluntary organisation you mentioned. Or follow the advice for the aforementioned here.

There is further advice on the above Acer link(page) I have provided if a Factory Restore fails/does not work with regard to purchasing specific Acer Recovery Media. Failing that my best advice would be seek assistance at a reputable IT Repair Centre.

Good luck and stay safe!

stevecb1300

stevecb1300

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Thankyou for the reply and the links..

I will follow your advice and try to fix it over the weekend when I have time to do it..

I'll let you know how I get on..

Thanks

Steve

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Fair play and you're welcome! :)

stevecb1300

stevecb1300

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Wow!!

Thanks so much..

Followed your advice/instructions and now we have a clutter free and workong lap top!
It was thankfully easy to do in the end.
Im on the desk top while my partner is putting flash player, new browser etc on the fixed lap top.

A couple of questions please..
What do you suggest to put on the newly fixed lap top in way of security?
Do I start a new topic somewhere to resolve a few problems with my desk top?

If you could point the way please, then this topic can be deleted/closed/solved..

Thanks again so much for your time and effort...

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Hi. :)

Wow!!

Thanks so much..

Followed your advice/instructions and now we have a clutter free and workong lap top!
It was thankfully easy to do in the end.
Im on the desk top while my partner is putting flash player, new browser etc on the fixed lap top.

Good, pleased for you a successful outcome and your welcome!

What do you suggest to put on the newly fixed lap top in way of security?

Information below...

Do I start a new topic somewhere to resolve a few problems with my desk top?

If your desktop machine has malware issues I am willing to you assist you with that in this topic. If not malware related I will advise which part of the forum would be best to seek further assistance in etc.

So in your next reply just inform myself what the issue is with the desktop machine as best able and what Operating System is in use on the aforementioned and we will go from there.

Next:

This part of my reply pertains to the Acer machine you just performed the Factory Reset on...

Most new machines when shipped by the vendors tend to come with all kinds of dross pre-installed and if the inbuilt recovery partition is invoked like you just did with the Acer, basically it is back as was when first booted up etc.

So this application here is worth both downloading and running.

--------------

Install all critical updates and relevant service packs via Windows Update. For XP the latest is SP3.

I would also ensure Internet Explorer is up-to date also. For XP based machines it is IE8. Reason being even if you opt not to use IE as your main browser having a out of date version installed can leave any one machine vulnerable to malware.

The aforementioned should be available via Windows Update, if not can be downloaded from here.

Once the machine is updated and fully patched, I do advise visiting Windows Update periodically as Microsoft releases patches for Windows and other products regularly.

Plus check Automatic Updates is enabled.

--------------

Then install a Anti-Virus software solution, only ever have one of such installed and active in system memory at any one time.

Either of the below will suffice:-

Which ever of the above you choose to install, automatically checks for updates and downloads/installs them with every system reboot and or periodically if the machine is left running providing a internet connection is active.

I advise you also run a complete scan with this at least once per week.

--------------

Installing a specific Anti-Spyware application would be prudent, myself I recommend:-

Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware

During the installation process you will be offered the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Trial. Your choice to enable or not...

After installing, I advise check for updates and run a scan at least once per week.

--------------

Emergency Recovery Utility NT. I advice you consider installing this, as a means to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed. Instructions can be read here.

Myself I would actually create a new back up once per week as this along with System Restore may prove to be invaluable if something unforeseen occurs!

--------------

A custom Host-File is a further layer of protection whilst browsing online.

Either of the below will suffice:-

Only use one of the above!

--------------

Consider installing WinPatrol. This application alerts you about possible system hijacks, malware attacks and critical changes made to your computer without your permission.

Download it from here.

You can find information about how WinPatrol works here.

--------------

Finally, periodically visit the Secunia Online Software Inspector to ensure all third party software is upto date. As many such as Adobe and Java related applications for example if out of date can be exploited by malware.

stevecb1300

stevecb1300

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Thats great!

We have put IE8 on the acer laptop and have installed and run the anti virus and anti maleware progs.. Everything dandy and tickity boo! lets hope it stays that way..

Now the desk top..
Its a Fujitsu Siemens with windows home edition, service pack 2. Its 10 years old! 2002!
Its not been used regularly for 3-4 years but its a flat screen and looks ok and we'd like to keep it..

Theres hardly any space left on the desktop screen, its littered with old progs and [bleep] knows what from removing coolweb search about 5 years ago!

Its running really slowly, 10-15 mins to boot up, 15-20 second delay when typing or deleting letters in search bars etc..

If possiable could we do a factory reset? can save any stuff we want first. Have the original cd's for it somewhere (prob in atic,moved house and country!)
We also have a windows7 cd with legit multi user licence, would it go on this pc after a factory reset?

If the above is not possable I would need assistance in removing progs etc to try to get it to speed up. Dont want to start deleting shortcuts from the desktop as the progs still remaim (is this correct?). But there not listed in the add/remove prog list..

Do you need a OTL Log thingy? It removed a trogan already!!

Steve

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts

Thats great!

We have put IE8 on the acer laptop and have installed and run the anti virus and anti maleware progs.. Everything dandy and tickity boo! lets hope it stays that way..

Good.

If possiable could we do a factory reset? can save any stuff we want first. Have the original cd's for it somewhere (prob in atic,moved house and country!)

I have read(acknowledge) the rest of your prior post...

I will need to know more than the fact a Fujitsu Siemens Desktop, so inform myself in your next reply what exact make/modal as best able OK.

We also have a windows7 cd with legit multi user licence, would it go on this pc after a factory reset?

Giving the age of the machine in question might not be a option but may be feasible in theory(all depends on the specifications of the machine as a whole). You can check once we have the aforementioned as you wish with this:-

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor

I would not even bother attempting at the moment though...

Next:

So to recap, in your next reply just let myself know the exact make/modal of the Fujitsu Siemens Desktop and we will go from there, thank you.

stevecb1300

stevecb1300

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Ok..

Putting xp back on is no problem if its not possable or gonna cause problems..

The best I can tell you about the computer is as follows..

Microsoft windows xp home edition version 2002. Service Pack 2
Fujitsu Siemens Computer
Intel®
Pentium®4 CPU 2.00Ghz
1.99 Ghz 256MB of RAM

Hope this helps...
Steve.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts

As it stands the Fujitsu Siemens machine will be unable to support Windows 7...

Windows 7 system requirements

Even for supporting XP the presently installed RAM(random access memory) is quite low with only 256MB and will not really perform that well at all even when/if stable again.

For interest sake if you wish to upgrade the installed memory, Crucial have a small scanner(CrucialScan.exe) which is perfectly safe to download and run. Which will advise if your computer can support any upgraded memory modules. They cater for the US/UK and Europe. Though trying the scanner would most likely be problematic at present giving the computer's current state.

Anyway this is a problem for another day as they say and we will too try address the main issue(s) with the machine as a whole.

Next:

My research has revealed there are a fair few Fujitsu Siemens Desktop versions...

To find out exactly which modal can be achieved in theory via this support page. If successful in finding out which exact modal(then in turn inform myself) I can then review the online PDF manual for it etc and then check if possible to invoke the Recovery Partition(if it has that particular feature).

For now this article here:-

Recovery Solution

Explains how to use the original CD-ROM(s) you mentioned may be able to locate.

Next:

In your next reply let myself know the outcome and or exact modal etc.

If all else fails I am quite willing to attempt a malware removal process on the machine but please be aware because at present it has only had XP Service Pack 2(support for XP SP2 was withdrew back in July-2010) for some time...the Operating System may be compromised/damaged beyond anything that can be done via a online environment.

Advertisements

stevecb1300

stevecb1300

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Yet again thanks for your time..

I have read and understood your last post and will do as you suggest over the weekend. I was called in to work unexpectedly and will not have enough time untill Sat/Sun..
Be great if we could afford a new one!!

Steve.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
OK, not a problem and you're welcome. Thank you for the courtesy of informing myself. :)

stevecb1300

stevecb1300

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Ok then, long story short..

Could'nt find exact model of pc. Could'nt get to restore it from cd, kept saying a corrupt something or other and spitting the disc out. Plus already had a newer version of windows.

What I've done since..

Took all personal files, pics off of pc.
Deleted (I think completly) loads of old programs.
Upgraded to IE8 web browser.
Installed service pack 3.
Downloaded and run the following
pc decrapifier, avant anti virus, and currently running malwarebytes..

Seems slightly faster but not significantly so.. The above has taken HOURS!! lol..

What do you suggest next? Thanks.. off to bed!!

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts

Could'nt find exact model of pc. Could'nt get to restore it from cd, kept saying a corrupt something or other and spitting the disc out. Plus already had a newer version of windows.

Fair enough.

Took all personal files, pics off of pc.
Deleted (I think completly) loads of old programs.
Upgraded to IE8 web browser.
Installed service pack 3.
Downloaded and run the following
pc decrapifier, avant anti virus, and currently running malwarebytes..

Seems slightly faster but not significantly so.. The above has taken HOURS!! lol..

OK and I am sure it did! If anything was found/removed by Malwarebytes Anti-Malware please post the log for my review.

What do you suggest next?

A review of the machine now as a whole would be prudent I think as follows...

Security Application Check:

Please download and save SecurityCheck.exe to your Desktop from one of the links below.

Link 1
Link 2

• Double-click SecurityCheck.exe, then follow the on-screen instructions inside of the black box.
  • A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt
  • Please post the contents of that document in your next reply.

Scan with OTL:

Please download OTL and save it to your Desktop.

Alternate downloads are here and here.

• Double-click on OTL.exe to start OTL.
  • Under Output, ensure that Minimal Output is selected.
  • Under Extra Registry section, select Use SafeList.
  • Click the Scan All Users checkbox.
  • Click on Run Scan at the top left hand corner.
  • When done, two Notepad files will open.
    • OTL.txt <-- Will be opened
    • Extra.txt <-- Will be minimized
  • Please post the contents of these 2 Notepad files in your next reply.

When completed the above, please post back the following in the order asked for:

• How is your computer performing now, any further symptoms and or problems encountered?
  • Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Log(if available/anything removed etc).
  • SecurityCheck Log.
  • Both OTL logs. <-- Post them individually please, IE: one Log per post/reply.

stevecb1300

stevecb1300

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Ok..

This morning since downloading service pack 3 yesterday, Ive been on windows update and downloaded 73 updates! lol..

The pc seems to be running alot better sofar, typing in fields comes up straight away, IE seems more stable..

Here is the security check log, I will post the 2 otl logs in the next 2 posts and see if I can get a malwarebytes log.

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.46
Windows XP Service Pack 3 x86
Internet Explorer 8
``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:``````````````
Windows Firewall Enabled!
avast! Free Antivirus
`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:`````````
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 1.62.0.1300
CCleaner
Adobe Flash Player 10 Flash Player out of Date!
Adobe Reader 7 Adobe Reader out of Date!
````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent````````
AVAST Software Avast AvastSvc.exe
AVAST Software Avast avastUI.exe
`````````````````System Health check`````````````````
Total Fragmentation on Drive C:: 12% Defragment your hard drive soon! (Do NOT defrag if SSD!)
````````````````````End of Log``````````````````````