Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building My First PC - a lot of advice needed!

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I'm not sure what you mean by the I/O on my case...?

The I/O shield is in the back, top left of the case, this needs to be removed by firmly pushing into the case from the outside, then install the one that came in your Mobo retail box, inset from the inside of the case, >

the RAMs in A1 and B1 - though i'm unsure if it's securely locked

Before you installed the RAM, you pulled back a little lever at each end of the slot. When you pushed the RAM down into the slot, the lever at each end should have clicked back into place. The RAM should be level in the slot with both levers locked into place.

What was your question/s about the PSU?

Advertisements

Vixie

Vixie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hello again, back from Holiday and feeling fresh and restarting and such. Thanks to people for replying steadily while I've been gone.

Macboatmaster
- I know that both you and phillpower2 said that it would already have thermal paste and I didnt need it, however he's a lot more stubborn than me and repeatedly told me it was going to overheat and refused any additional help so I got the thermal paste from him.
- I apologize (sorry :( ) for posting on the system-build-guide for help I didnt realise that posting in two topics would cause problems.
- The disk drive was later put in successfully, I didn't realise the whole front thing first came off and thought you just pushed out one of the grated bits, but later figured it out (my case came with no manual so I googled it)

iammykyl
- Yes the mobo's I/O is in
- I did unlock the RAM bits first, and then put them in... the locks moved forward but not as far as before... though the RAM doesn't move unless I unlock them again and wont go any further in.
- The PSU question was about the 4pin ATX12V or 8pin EPS12V plug... my mobo manual does mention ATX12V so I assume I use one of the two 4pins, however the mobo has space for 8pin and the single 4pin seemed to fall out really easily so do I use both 4pins together?

also I am unsure of what cables connect to the HDD and disk drive (they are both installed in the case but currently cableless)
and also what to connect the (I think it's a SATA cable?) big red flat cable that's attached to the case too.
I'm sure there will be a lot more questions incoming :(

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I will leave my colleague to answer the parts he has raised but in respect of the thermal paste you got from your brother - what exactly did you do please
Starting with the thermal paste that was already on the cooler

In respect of posting on the other topic, please do not concern yourself, but it is far easier, as I said, to keep all queries here.

Also for your own good, is your brother available to actually help - with the computer in his physical presence, as if so and he is knowledgeable, the build when you have it front of you, is always easier and better than online.

as if this means he can help and you trust his knowledge

told me it was going to overheat and refused any additional help

that is your ideal and best way forward

Please do not take that as meaning we are not more than willing to continue.

Vixie

Vixie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Also for your own good, is your brother available to actually help - with the computer in his physical presence, as if so and he is knowledgeable, the build when you have it front of you, is always easier and better than online.

- no he was talking to me on skype at the time

Also the RAM question from earlier has been worked out - I tried it out a few more times and now the clips line up straight.
I've coupled a cable from the PSU to the HDD and the Disk Drive (it's flat and went in next to the Sata part on the parts)
I'm currently plugging in sata cables between the HDD and mobo, and the disk drive and mobo... Still unsure as to where to put the red sata cable that comes from the case? i guess the mobo but unsure.

Still have the graphics card to put in.

theres a socket in the HDD (next to the sata, next to the power-sata-thing) that I don't know what to put in.

2 case fans (that had 2 large white plugs each) i have been told to plug one of these for each fan into the PSU.. there's a cable from the psy they kinda fit into however it has 3 prongs and a gap and the fit 4 so.. hmmm..

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Vixie
Lets deal with just one issue at a time

1. What did you do as I asked with the thermal paste.

what exactly did you do please
Starting with the thermal paste that was already on the cooler

Vixie

Vixie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Oh sorry, I just added a little more to the gaps where there was none and put the fan back on

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Not the best idea.
The thermal paste that is pre applied is the correct quantity for use. It does NOT need any added.

When the cooler LOCKS in place, that thermal paste is then positioned across the surface of the CPU and the cooler exactly correctly

When you then release the clips of the cooler and remove it from its mounting you disturb the thermal paste.

When you then, add more to the gaps where there was none, you have very likely ended up with too much.

My personal opinion is that, you have AND it is not your fault, except for not following our advice AND coming back to us before doing as your brother suggested, unfortunately created extra difficulties for yourself, as you are now faced with the prospect of too much thermal paste.

The thermal paste is not, as many people think there for cooling as such. It is there to fill the minute imperfections in the surface of the CPU and that of the cooler.
Those imperfections are indetectable to the human eye.
If they could be made without those minute imperfections thermal paste would not be necessary, as there is no more efficient contact and heat transfer than absolutely perfect metal to metal.

I honestly do not know the best advice to offer, as if you KNEW there was not now too much leave it.

That said, you do not of course, with respect KNOW.

I will post again shortly - off for an hour.

Vixie

Vixie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
=/
is it possible to remove the paste on there and start fresh?
also I didnt add that much more

Edited by Vixie, 08 September 2012 - 03:30 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I think the best advice I can offer is this

When you unclipped the cooler, the gaps you noticed may well have been gaps in the layer of thermal paste on the CPU, but you may well have found that these areas were in fact the same areas as where the thermal paste had stayed adhered to the surface of the cooler, where of course it was originally.

See this
http://www.geekstogo..._1#entry2050286

and even with that information, the decision as to leaving it as is or starting again can only be yours.

Vixie

Vixie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Well I guess leaving it for now wouldn't be too bad as there was not much... and if it's overheating then i can take it off and try again once it's tested. At this point just looking at the pc stresses me out.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well I sincerely hope it works, the choice as I said can only be left with you.

I will deal with one other issue as I am signing off.

However either phillpower2 or iammykyl may well come back in to help, before I return at 1800

The red lead from the front of your case is for a front "e sata" External SATA port, if you look at the connection at the end of the lead you will see it is the same as those from the hard drive to the motherboard sata ports.

YOU also have an external sata e sata on the motherboard I/O the plate at the rear of the case mentioned by my colleague iammykyl

It is for connecting, in simple terms, an external sata device. External HDD via e sata rather than usb.
Rather unlikely with one at the I/O you will need it and very easily connected if you do

Vixie

Vixie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Thank you for all your help today :)

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi Vixie, glad you enjoyed your holiday.

I/O Shield, sorted, OK.
RAM seating and locking, installed in A1 and B1, sorted OK.
Power to HDD and Optical Drive, sorted, OK.

SATA connection, Please check and confirm. see your Mobbo user manual.
(SATA3_0_1: see p.13, No. 12) connect your HDD to #12, (Gray, second down on the right.)
(SATA2_4_5: see p.13, No. 14) connect your Optical Drive to #14 ( black, forth one down on the right)

Still unsure as to where to put the red sata cable that comes from the case? i guess the mobo but unsure

See Macboatmaster"s Post #56. Where to plug it in, (SATA2_4_5: see p.13, No. 14) (forth one down on the left.

theres a socket in the HDD (next to the sata, next to the power-sata-thing) that I don't know what to put in.

In this build, you do not have to connect any cable to this socket.

PSU, Installed with the fan facing down? (please confirm)
It has 3 fixed cables,

1x 20+4-Pin Main Connector.

1x 4+4-Pin ATX12V/EPS12V Connector. [/font]

(8-pin ATX12V1)
(see p.13, No. 1). Then read,

[ATX 12V Power Connector, Look at the little picture to the right of this text. 4-Pin ATX 12V Power Supply Installation. When connected with the pin #1 at the bottom right, it should not be loose.]

1x 8-pin EPS12V Connector Not used in this build.

FANs.

The CPU cooler fan is connected to CPU fan 1,

(see p.13, No. 3)
The rear exhaust fan connect to (4-pin CHA_FAN1) (see p.13, No. 22
The top and front fan only have a molex power plug, use a cable that has 2 Molex + a floppy connector. Plug one fan into each Molex socket, (the floppy plug at the end is not used.

Cables that come from the front of the case.
USB 2.0 plug it into USB socket, (9-pin USB4_5) (see p.13, No. 25) This will power both of the sockets on the case front.

Front panel audio plug, connect to front audio socket. (9-pin HD_AUDIO1) (see p.13, No. 31)

Edited by iammykyl, 09 September 2012 - 03:57 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
iammykyl

Another quality post here from you - :thumbsup:
What is your opinion please on the thermal paste issue 51 to 54 please.

Vixie
You are in excellent hands here with my colleague iammykyl.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
If I may chime back in with a link that will hopefully help http://www.arcticsil...l_line_v1.1.pdf

Vixie

Please note the cleaning, preparation, application and contamination information, this is in no way suggesting that you should start afresh merely to highlight the importance of the correct application of thermal paste from the outset.