Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building My First PC - a lot of advice needed!

• Please log in to reply

Vixie

Vixie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hey
thanks so much for the really clear instructions.

To answer your question yes the PSU is fan down to the vent at the bottom.

Fans -
the rear exhaust fan only had 3 pins so I put it in Cha_fan2 (p13,38) instead and cha_fan1 is empty

I'm still a little confused by the other fans. (sorry, I don't know what things like molex plugs or floppy plugs are)
Each fan both has these 2 cables coming from them:
Posted Image
The only cable I could see that would fit them to the PSU was a cable with 2 of these:
Posted Image
so the outtie psu one fits in the innie fan one but it doesn't look quite right.

Everything else is plugged in where you said.

Phillpower2 thanks for the cleaning instructions I'll keep them handy incase I need to start again with it

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
You are welcome Vixie :thumbsup:

Vixie

Vixie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Additionally (I really want to start getting this finished :(!)
The graphics card is now in place in the pci 3.0 slot but I'm unsure which cables to connect for that to the psu
I figured out the 6+2 (with the 2 spare not plugged in) are the only ones that fit into the graphics card due to the shape of the plug (on the right)
Posted Image
however I am unsure as to whether to use an 8pin end or a 6pin end to go into the power supply.
also I assume it needs 2 as there are 2 slots

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Your card requires two 6 pin pci-e connections from the PSU.

Requirements
Minimum of a 550 power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 38 Amps.)
Two available 6-pin PCI-E power dongles
Full details http://www.evga.com/...=012-P3-1570-AR

You can use the 6+2 type connection but only the 6 pin connection is actually plugged in and the 2 pin connection can be tucked away safely.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Also the top image on your post 61 are the MOLEX a male one end and a female the other

The next image is a male molex to a four pin female. If you look at the male molex and compare with the one above you will see that the two yellow are connected to one pin and the two black ate then connected each to one pin and the fourth pin - red on the diagram above is not there, as the 4 pin ATX at the other end requires only the yellow and black -

Now to your question aboout the loose connection please see post 58 and refer to you motherboard manual as asked by iammykyl page 13 i if it is loose that is because you are not connecting it firmly enough to engage the clip, look at the connection on the motherboard there is a ridge on one side onto which the clip fits. It is then released by squeezing the clip
NOTE that is not the cable in your image.

(8-pin ATX12V1) (see p.13, No. 1). Then read,

Go to this page
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293

On the image of your motherboard - the plan view looking down on the board see TOP edge, slightly left of centre
8 CPU connector

Now you know where it goes refer to the manual page 13 item 1 and page 40

I have said it before and I make no apologies for repeating it - However tempting DO NOT RUSH IT

Vixie

Vixie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Ok, found a different wire from the PSU that leads to the fan, it has 3 fan sized ones on then one (what im guessing is for the floppy if i had one) - which seems right with the manual and they fit :D

Also I have fit one ATX12V 4pin thing into the righthand of the 8pin mobo bit as the manual said on page 40 and it seems to fit perfectly :D

Edited by Vixie, 10 September 2012 - 12:47 AM.

Vixie

Vixie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
main problem at the minute -
Posted Image - this is refusing to happen!

the problem is putting the 6pin power connector into the power supply (cable running from the video card)... the other one went in with a bit of a struggle but this one is seriously fighting me no matter how hard I try, so possibly due to some bent pins in there perhaps? I'm not sure... Going to find a torch and shine it down to see if I can see any problems... I know for sure it is the right plug into the right socket (the houses and squares as I've named them all line up)... either cable goes into one of the psu holes but not the other so I know its the hole not the cable. very frustrating

I guess something like:
Posted Image
using the two 8pins instead wouldnt work? (or would it...? my guess would be it would fry it but I thought it might be worth asking rather than struggling away with the 6pin) the other ends of the 8pins are the same as the before (6+2) and fit into the GPU fine

Edited by Vixie, 10 September 2012 - 12:52 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thank you guys for your very helpful input.

Also I have fit one ATX12V 4pin thing into the righthand of the 8pin mobo bit as the manual said on page 40 and it seems to fit perfectly

:D

Great Job.

Ok, found a different wire from the PSU that leads to the fan, it has 3 fan sized ones on then one (what im guessing is for the floppy if i had one) - which seems right with the manual and they fit

:D

Good, Posted Image that cable will do fine. That sorts one question from Post #61. You also said, >

the rear exhaust fan only had 3 pins so I put it in Cha_fan2 (p13,38) instead and cha_fan1 is empty

[/size]]

The fan will work on that socket but, sometimes the sensor it reads from may not be in the best place for sensing the temps accurately. The rear fan plug, even though it only has 3 holes, will fit (only one way around) on the

(4-pin CHA_FAN1) (see p.13, No. 22}. then see instruction, page 39, right hand side.

An apology, looks like I made you buy a system speaker, and there was one included with the case, very unusual. Install one of them,

(4-pin SPEAKER ) speaker to this header.(see p.13, No. 17) See picture, page 38. Make sure to match the + on the plug with + on the socket.

PSU

, You have the correct cables. If both plugs will not go into the top socket, I think you may be right, and there is an obstruction. Let us know what you find.You may not be able to see, but look in the little slot where the locking tab hooks on. Excellent Pics.

Vixie

Vixie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
PSU - I tried it with a fresh feel this morning and voila it went in... maybe me fingers were sore last night or arm or something or i just hit the right angle today but whatever happened I'm so relieved

also changed the fan to the right side of the cha_fan1 as told :)

oh and the speakers in too from a while ago

...Am I ready to turn it on?? *praying it works so so so much*

Edited by Vixie, 10 September 2012 - 04:16 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
From my aspect
NO

as I would prefer a final check

and I cannot do that NOW tonight as I am signing off it is 2311 in UK

Advertisements

Vixie

Vixie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
*rolls around on the floor like an insane person*......... ok :( lol

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I will make a start and then one of my colleagues will I am sure come back while I am offline,

1. CPU FAN from the fan on the cooler - where we talked about the thermal paste is it connected to position numbered 3 on motherboard diagram - layout page 13 of the manual

2. PROTECTION COVER Page 17 of maual
for CPU load plate

Press down the load lever, and secure it with the load plate tab under the retention tab. The protection cover will automatically come off by itself

DID it and have you saved it as recommended and indeed you have secured with the lever I presume.

3. Page 19
CPU cooler
You must ensure that you did this correctly - STEP 3 and FOUR
DO NOT DISTURB UNLESS YOU HAVE A SEVERE DOUBT
Step 2. Place the heatsink onto the socket. Ensure that the fan cables are oriented on side closest to the CPU fan connector on the motherboard (CPU_FAN1, see page 13, No. 3 or CPU_ FAN2, see page 13. No. 5).

Step 3. Align fasteners with the motherboard throughholes.

Step 4. Rotate the fastener clockwise, then press down on fastener caps with thumb to install and lock. Repeat with remaining fasteners.

If you press down the fasteners without rotating them clockwise, the heatsink cannot be secured on the motherboard.

That will do for me I have gone - goodnight

Vixie

Vixie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Ooh :D thankyou
1 - check in CPU_fan1
2 - check, I still have it in a draw, and yes the levers back in place
3 - check the pins show through at the other side in there holes
4 - check - found one I hadn't done before as when I pressed down I felt it drop into place, the fans not shakeable or anything and there all rotated the right way

Goodnight :)

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
0007 gone
will leave you with my good colleagues
Good luck
Please do NOT boot until we have said that we are happy.

Vixie

Vixie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Just to help and make stuff as swiftly as possible I've checked some stuff myself that I guess would be asked about :D

List from the mobo manual p13.

1 - Has a ATX12V 4pin cable in the right side
2 - Has the cpu in with fan on top (checked before by Macboatmaster)
3 - CPU_fan1 has the pin cable from the CPU fan in
4 - Empty
5 - Empty
6 - Ram securely in A1 and B1 and the lock is pushed in the whole way
7 - (see above)
8 - Has the really big 24pin cable in from the PSU
9 - Empty
10 - Just a big shiny thing... it has a sticker on it should i take it off?
11 - Empty (I didnt put the red sata in since I didn't think I'd use it so it's tucked out the way instead)
12 - The lowest slot has the HDD sata cable in
13 - Empty
14 - The lowest slot has the disk drive sata cable in
15 - Empty
16 - A button
17 - speaker in, the side with the arrow/red wire (i assume means positive) is on the left, the black wire is on the right.
18 - A button
19 - Empty
20 - Again I assumed the arrow means positive, all cables have a coloured wire on the side of the arrow and a grey wire. They are laid out like:
Posted Image
and theyre all in securely.
21 - some 88 display thing
22 - 3pin rear fan cable in it, to the right hand side.
23 - has a sticker on it
24 - empty
25 - has the case USB cable in, only one possible orientation
26-30 - empty
31 - has the case HDD audio thing in
32-35 - empty
36 - has graphics card in secured against back panel and screwed in there
37-39 - empty

The HDD and disk drive both are connecter to the mobo through sata cables (as mentioned before), and connected to the psu through something else (i dont know what its called, like a longer sata one)

The other 2 case fans are both connected to the PSU through the molex(x3)floppy cable.

the graphics card is connected to the psu by two 6pin pcie cables, that go into the 6pin holes in the psu. (yay)

... I think that's everything???

Edit - just looking at the picture makes me wonder if I should have put the power and reset cables in horizontally rather than vertically...?

Edited by Vixie, 10 September 2012 - 11:31 PM.