Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problem With Recent Build

• Please log in to reply

Light Knight

Light Knight

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
Hello,

I've just build this computer (Note: don't look at the first post build, but the end of the thread) and everything worked as planned, except the card reader.

Now I bought two of these readers, identical, one for my computer, and one for my fathers. I was using the one for my computer for about a week before I build my dads, downloaded all the drivers and software and updated the bios.

On his computer, the card reader is detected and not detected, back and forth. Sometimes it will stay fine for hours, and then (usually when you are using the computer), the "disconnected" and "connected" sound repeatedly cycles. If I open and look at the Device Manager, I see one of the USB entries pop in and out of existence when it does this, and the little LED on the card reader also turns on and off.

Here is what I've done for trouble shooting so far:
  • Tried swapping it for MY identical card reader - Still the same (And his card reader does no give my computer a problem)
  • Tried plugging it in different USB ports on the Mobo - Still the same
  • I've tested the Cases' and Mobo USB drives a lot - they work fine
  • Unplugging the Card Reader - The problems go away, it is not present for other USB drives

Any help appreciated.

Edited by Light Knight, 13 August 2012 - 06:44 AM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Hello

I contributed briefly to your other topic when you were planning this build.

Despite this problem, congratulations on the build.

You may already have tried, but if you have I do not think you have mentioned it.

Disconnect all usb devices connected to the Rosewill - see how it is then.

If still not solved disconnect ALL possible USB devices except of course keyboard and mouse.

You may see this as of interest

A copy and paste from a rather similar problem

Well, it looks as if I solved the problem.

The culprit was my Rosewell RCR-IC001 Internal Card Reader that suppots 4 card slots and a USB port.

As long as that beast was plugged into a motherboard USB socket, neither the RCR-IC001 or 2 USB Case ports using a second MB socket would read USB flash drives.

Interestingly, the USB sockets directly on the MB back panel continued to work properly for a mouse, KB and printer.

I had a second RCR-IC001 and tried it too.

On this one, The USB port on the RCR-IC001 would not work, but at least this unit did not clobber the second MB USB socket.

In both cases, the SD card slot on the RCR-IC001 continued to work.

I did not have memory cards to try the other 3 card slots.

In looking at the feedback on the RCR-IC001 at Newegg (my source),

I now see that problems of this sort have been seen by others. I suspect that perhaps the fact that 4 card reader slots and a USB port are all connected to one USB socket on the MB may be a marginal overload (even with nothing plugged in the slots) and at some point some motherboards can not support the load.

Light Knight

Light Knight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Thanks Macboatmaster!

Let's assume I have the same problem and my Rosewill card reading is "overloading" my Mobo, where could I find out what card readers wouldn't? And now I think I might go for a USB 3.0 card reader.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Unfortunately I do not know the answer to that one, but returning to the original problem, is there anything shown in event viewer relating to the apparent failure of the USB port.

I consider it worthwhile checking

Do you need guidance please.