Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

98 Crashed?..things have gone very wrong!

• Please log in to reply

drgrim

drgrim

• Pip
  • 6 posts
[B][I][FONT=Arial][SIZE=7][COLOR=purple] :help: My daughters laptop(old unit with 64 mb ram,win98se) had a bit of a freakout the other day when she tried to start it and do her homework. It took over fifteen minutes starting up but just never completed the process. The hard disk was making all the normal sounds etc.I suggested she turn it off and try restarting..this brought up an eroor saying it couldnt find C drive. :tazz: I then shut it down and tried to restart it but scandisk wanted to do its thing after improper shutdown so I let it. It took three days to complete it and found many bad sectors on the hard drive and apparently fixed them. The problem I have now is that when I start windows it does load..but I get the desktop with no icons, startbutton, taskbar...anything..just her wallpaper. If I cntrl/alt/del there is nothing running in processes at all and thats the only way (apart from turning it off at the switch) that I can shut it down :help: I can access the bios and the menu for cmmd prompt etc but thats all..I have tried using a boot disk but it doesnt seem to recognise the floppy or cd drives. Is it possible to reinstall windows on this pc? ;) Im not sure how to format the hard drive for a complete reinstall and need a bit of guidance. :help:

Advertisements

RCTJ

RCTJ

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
-I had the same problem before! I ended up buying a new hard drive & Installing it myself. :tazz:

Now my Win98 runs great...But I lost all my files.

There might be a way to get it back up, but I didn't want to screw around with my hard drive.

But I am not a computer wiz either.

-RCTJ ;)

drgrim

drgrim

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I can install hard drives in desktop systems but wouldnt have a clue where to start with a laptop. Also I really cant afford to do that at the moment. I was just hoping to get the unit operational so my daughter could use it for her homework again.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot it to the command prompt and type scanreg.exe /fix then press enter

It will run and then say Windows repaired the registry, press enter then press ctrl + alt + delete to restart.

mohsin

mohsin

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
yups kieth .. same suggestion here ..

but try to buy new one too