Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer freezes when I try to close websites

• Please log in to reply

lfshadow

lfshadow

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Computer freezes at random times, Mostly when I'm online, on a web page, and when I click the “x” in the upper right corner to close the website. When that website freezes, and I have other open behind (or collapsed), then they all freeze. I can still move the mouse pointer. If I click on something it usually does nothing, but sometimes if I click on the “Minimize” “-” (at the top right) I can get it to minimize, but nothing else.
I've run Disk Cleaner, Advanced System Care 5, Defraged. I went to PC Pitstop and they didn't find anything. I've tried rebooting (which is the only way I can get it working again after it freezes).
I was told to check and see if I needed driver updates - I checked using 3 different programs and got 3 different answers, so who knows if it's the drivers or not.
Now what?

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version          6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
System Model s5713w
System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD Athlon™ II X2 240 Processor, 2800 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What browser do you use and have you tried a different one to see if the problem follows on other browsers?

lfshadow

lfshadow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I am using IE 8. That's all I've ever used.
I will download and try a different one and let you know.
BTW - Now my back button is not working. This almost acts
like a virus, but I've scammed for malware and virus and they
both come up clean.
Malwarebytes
AVG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Don't be to sure because most scanner can't go that deep. Try FireFox and Chrome. Let me know if the issue happens with them. If so I will direct you to the malware forum and the steps to take to get them to look at the system for you.