Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

unable to get online

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

btrfly55

btrfly55

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
About a week ago, the desktop just stopped showing the mini computers that show up on the bottom letting me know I'm online. I have recently got ATT uverse so called them and did the usual checking the ethernet cable-as there is another desktop right next to it and it's working fine but even with that cable, no connection tho laptop runs fine too. Plus system restore has disappeared. Ran superantisypware last night-it got stuck but found lots of things so I got rid of them but still no go? I think I saw that maybe firefox not configured right but don't remember how to fix this?
Rockmilk has suggested I download the farbar and minitoolbox but I"m not too proficient with this stuff. How do I copy it back on2 the USB which I'll have to use to report it back on my laptop? And is posting all this info hazardous at all? I'm really more concerned about figuring out how to to do it! Any simpler way?
Thanks

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Please go to Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide...
HERE....

That will help you clean up 80 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) follow the instructions and start a new topic
here
post the OTListIt2 and Rooter logs ...
The "Topic Title" should contain the name of the infection that you are having a problem with...Use the "Topic Description" to include more details. This will help you get faster responses as some people are more familiar with certain infections....

if you are unable to download or run ANY of the tools...try downloading them on another computer and put them on a flash drive or cd and try installing them that way..
no joy...
start a new topic and let them know you can't run any of the tools..

if your still having issues after the malware pros give you a all clean...come back here and we will see if we can get it straightened out out

btrfly55

btrfly55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
I ran the superantispyware and it says not infected. Can we proceed with something else?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you say

system restore has disappeared

so you have more than connection problems and until you get a all clean from the malware pros there is no sense trying to fix anything

we can try power cycling the modem and router but if that fails
Download and Run OTL and post the log in the malware removal forum

Lets try and see whether you have equipment related problems. In this step, we will allow the equipment to self-diagnose and resolve the problems.

If you suddenly lose connectivity over your High Speed Internet line, have a slow connection or are unable to browse the Internet despite indications that you are connected, it is possible that your modem is not communicating properly with the Internet network.

Save all your current work, close all open applications, then shut down your computer ...unplug router and modem

Power up the modem first and after it gets initialized and all the lites are steady..
power up the router...after all the lites are on...
power up the computer

The above steps should take care of your problem

no joy then try this..

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands click on Start.... Run..... type in...CMD ....press enter....to open a command prompt box

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults...type in ... netsh winsock reset catalog .... press ...enter

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults...type in...... netsh int ip reset reset.log ... press ...enter

btrfly55

btrfly55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
HI,
So you think maybe supersantispyware missed something? Which is why I should try OTL first?

btrfly55

btrfly55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
PS I did check under network adaptars which are working "fine"...

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you don't want to follow my advice then maybe someone else can help you

btrfly55

btrfly55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Sorry, I was just trying to clarify if it matters which step I do first!? The computer is working fine except for not being able to get online so I don't want to mess it up like I've done in the past!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I am coming in to try and help.

Please understand that even if we manage to get the connection working the advice would still very likely be the same as my colleague happyrock posted

1. What do you mean by this please

Plus system restore has disappeared

Does that mean that there are NO restore points listed OR does it mean that you simply cannot access it in the first place.

2. Open Control Panel please Network Devices, what is shown please. and against the entries does it show any indication of a problem. - eg this device is disabled etc.

3. Also please go Start, right click My Computer click properties, click hardware tab, click device manager
What please is showing THERE on network adaptors, click to expand that entry and are any of the entries then showing a red or yellow warning.

btrfly55

btrfly55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
The device managers listed are the 1394 and the via rhinet and both are working "fine"=green and not disabled. When I try to access system restore- page comes up blank just like when i try to get network connections...When I do the %system restore command- says pathway cannot be found...
I was just trying to clarify if it's worthwhile to run the OTL since I've already done antisypware-all I was asking:)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
May I add something here folks?

I was just trying to clarify if it's worthwhile to run the OTL since I've already done antisypware-all I was asking:)

I understand what you are asking but that program is used only in the malware forum by a trained malware tech to look through. We do not allow their posting outside of the malware forum.
The issue with Restore Points is if one is corrupted then they are all bad. That may answer why none are showing up. The other option may be they have been turned off.

btrfly55

btrfly55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
I just downloaded the OTL but got a popup from mcafee with a warning that "it's a dangerous" site??!!

btrfly55

btrfly55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
I'm running it now. am I to post the results here? I"m so confused and blonde!:)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nobody has asked for a OTL report here btrfly55 and I'm confused why you are wanting to run it without the guidance of a trained malware tech?
Please forget about running OTL as I will only delete it from your post because it is not allowed in this topic.
If you fear of a infection then I suggest go back to post 2 that Happyrock responded instructing you to the malware forum. There a trained malware tech will be able to run deeper scans to see if you are infected. Once they declare your system healthy then you can return to this topic.

If you post a link to this topic in your malware topic then that tech can see what was attempted here and contact either Macboatmaster or myself with any questions pertaining to the tech part of this issue. Do not hesitate to ask either Macboatmaster or myself for clarification of anything in this topic you are not clear with. That is what we are here for. :thumbsup:

btrfly55

btrfly55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
If U will scroll up to the first posts from Happyrock=he is telling me to run the Otl to make sure I don't have any virus! I"m just trying to do what i"m told here.
What am I supposed to do now?...