Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

unable to get online

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

I'm disconnecting the 1394 cable...

I very much doubt it is connected it simply shows that the computer has a firewire port it is not used.

That is why my colleague said disable it. - in device manager - right click the entry.

It may help if you answered my query regarding the network connections

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The registry fixes are made for the system he was helping with. They would cause adverse affects on your system since they are made specific to the issue with that system.
This is the description for Farbar I found.

Farbar Recovery Scan Tool, or FRST, is a portable application designed to run in the Windows Vista and Windows 7 Recovery Environment in order to diagnose and fix boot issues. This tool can also be used in Windows XP if the system can boot to Recovery Environment by using a PE Boot CD.

This program will display detailed information about the Windows Registry loading points, services, driver services, Netsvcs entries, known DLLs, Exe associations, drives, and partition specifications. It will also list some important system files that could be patched by malware.

As you can see it deals with registry, dll's and exe associations. I stay away from registries because of the possibility of causing the system more harm then good. The others are fixable with other programs. I don't see where running the program would be a problem but fixing anything without instructions from a trained tech can be hazardous to your system.

btrfly55

btrfly55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
PS nope, still no connection but I didn't go in2 network adaptors and disable it tho I did try that the other night...
Also on microsoft page, they suggest doing a sfc/purgecache command- what do u think of trying that?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
With the greatest of respect instead of telling us what it says on this place and that, it may help if you would just deal with what we suggest

PLEASE what happens when you open Network connections from Control Panel - as per my last post and the one asking you to do that and tell us exactly what you then see. - my post 28

btrfly55

btrfly55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Again, I did disable the 1394 connection but when I go under trying to set up a new connection- it keeps showing up as the adaptar/connection on the last page and then I get an error?? When I open the network connections page- it's blank=nothing is shown except on the side where it lists make a new connection etc.

btrfly55

btrfly55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Ok, I just checked my other desktop right next to the one that's not working and it uses the 1394 adapter to connect! along with the Local connection.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hey Mac try in the bios under onboard peripherals or integrated peripherals for that 1394 and lan settings. Make sure the lan is enabled.

btrfly55

btrfly55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Hopes Mac can explain what Ron just wrote in english?:)
Is thinking of setting up a tent in here! If u hear screaming, just ignore... :whistling:

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What I meant was if you boot into your bios usually DEL when your system first turns on. That will take you into the bios or setup area.
In there you need to find the area marked as Peripheral Configuration and see if there is a setting for the Lan and for the 1394.

If so post back with what they are set at and then Mac or I will instruct you to the next step.
Mac probably won't be back tonight but will return in the next 12 hours.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
btrfly55

The three interfaces side-by-side:Posted Image

1394 or Firewire as it is commonly referred to is NOT I can assure you used for an ethernet connection and the ethernet connection is what is used for a broadband connection from the computer to the modem/router.

1394 connection showing on XP in Network Connections simply means that the computer has a Firewire port, either on an add-on card or on the I/O plate, that is the place on the rear of the tower where the mouse, keyboard and monitor (unless it has a separate graphics card) and the ETHERNET and USB connections are.
Basically the 1394 connection is a way of connecting another computer, that also has a firewire connection and was commonly used for cameras and other items. IT IS NOT used for a broadband internet connection.

So when you say

Ok, I just checked my other desktop right next to the one that's not working and it uses the 1394 adapter to connect! along with the Local connection.

I can assure you, that you are wrong in your assumption. It is shown, but it is NOT used.
The simple test for you to assure yourself that I am correct is to check yourself using the image above.
I will be extremely surprised if you have a cable connnected to the 1394 port.

Also if you go to the computer that you say uses THIS and the ethernet connection and in Network connections, you right click the 1394 connection and if DISABLE appears on the menu, click that.
If ENABLE appears then it is already disabled.

If it is disabled it is NOT being used.
If it is enabled and you disable it, you will find that the connection still works the same as it did. The only exception to this is if you have the most unusual arrangement of connecting.

NOW to the issue in hand

1. Go to device manager, right click the entry for the VIA RHINE 11 Fast Ethernet, click UNINSTALL, reboot the computer.
Watch to see if it has found new hardware and is installing the driver.
Post any details of any message indicating failure.
NOTE PLEASE
I am unsure NOW as to what cable you have connected and which you have disconnected. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE the ethernet cable connected from the computer to the modem/router, please CONNECT IT BEFORE uninstalling and rebooting the computer
NOW go to network connections and what is then shown please.
If the VIA RHINE connection is now shown test the internet connection.

IF the connection is still not shown in Network connections - proceed as below please

2. ONBOARD LAN, in otherwords the VIA RHINE may be enabled or diabled in BIOS, on booting the computer and on the POST SCREEN, it will very likely say to enter setup key F2, Delete or another key.
As soon as you see that message do so.
If it does not enter setup that time, reboot and now you know the key to press, do so immediately you see the post screen
When you get into the BIOS setup, find the screen showing
ENABLE ONBOARD LAN.
If it is ENABLED there is nothing to do, simply exit which is F10 usually. MAKE NO OTHER CHANGES
If it is DISABLED, click as shown on the right of the screen, and then select ENABLED from the options.
Again exit by using F10 - which is normally SAVE and EXIT.
The Bios screen will tell you.
DO NOT MAKE any other changes please.

IF IT WAS disabled, althougn I VERY MUCH doubt that it will have been so, reboot and check again what is shown in Network connections.

IF having done both the VIA RHINE is stil not shown in network connections proceed as below please.

3. Go start, in run type
msinfo32

when that opens
It should be on the system summary page, click edit, click select all, click edit, click copy, minimise that window, then open a word document and right click on the blank document and click paste, save the doument.

Now go back to that first window, that you minimised

on the left pane click to expand components, click to expand network, click adaptor.

when that opens, click edit, click select all, click edit, click copy, open a word document and click paste., in otherwords do the same as before

Do the same please on problem devices.

Then send me those pasted results by copying to a flash pen and attaching the actual copy and paste of the results to your reply.

Also attach to that reply, please the make and full model of the desktop if it is branded.
ie: Dell Optiplex 390 - or whatever it is.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Come to think of it I have not ever used a 1394 since it came out. I may have to do some research on it and see if I can have some fun with it. ;) :ph34r: :whistling:

btrfly55

btrfly55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Ok, I figured out how to get in2 bios but couldn't find the peripheral configuration? Should I copy all the list for u? I looked in all the listed items? I tried using the F2 but it didn't work. Maybe I'll try that again later...
However the post screen does say something about f9 after posting? Is that standard?
We are hooked up to att uverse with a wireless network but LOTS Of wires...the 1394 is used for our camera.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

the 1394 is used for our camera.

There ya go the 1394 is not the network but shows up as a network device I'm guessing much like a lan would show up on a computer.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
btrfly55

Why ever would you try F2 again, if you have already entered BIOS
I did say it may be
F2 or Delete or another key but the post screen will tell you

What please was the result of my suggestion regarding the VIA RHINE entry in device manager.

and re onboard lan
Posted Image

not your BIOS but it will be similar. It is ONBOARD LAN CONTROLLER enabled.

However if you do not have that entry, proceed as previously explained.

and with respect you may get further if you read the posts to you CAREFULLY and work your way through them CAREFULLY
LOTS of cables means NOTHING

My question was CHECK the ethernet from this computer to the ATT is connected and as at item 1. on my post 40

btrfly55

btrfly55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
The Lan is enabled but the MODEM is disabled?? I can see the connection so I don't know what's going on??