Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Very high ping

• Please log in to reply

snooplove

snooplove

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Hi G2G.I want to make a question because i was wondering if that's normal.Whenever i play a game (most noticeable) or even when browsing the internet and another pc in my network is browsing the internet i get in game like 300-700 ping but when each computer is the only one using the internet the ping is always lower than 60.If it is not normal what can i do to fix it or if it is normal is there anyway to reduce the ping?

We are talking about a home network most times are two pc in the internet but sometimes 3.
If i need to say something more please post what info you need and i will tell you.

Thank You

Advertisements

snooplove

snooplove

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
any help?

snooplove

snooplove

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
One more thing i noticed.when i try to find for solutions even when i have internet i get this message

your computer seems to be correctly configured but the device or resource is not responding.

can someone help?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hello, what device is it that isn't responding?

How are you connecting to the modem/router, wired or wireless? It sounds like there is some sort of traffic prioritising configured on the modem/router and when other computers are on the network yours comes after the others.

snooplove

snooplove

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
As the error says DNS server is not responding..my router is working fine and i can connect to internet

i can connect both ways but i connect only wired (Wireless is closed)

Btw i did a Speedtest yesterday and my speed from 7+ mbps has gone 1,70 maximum.I think i must contact ISP

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Good idea, perhaps the ISP support may be able to give you some ideas. Let me know how you go.

snooplove

snooplove

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Well there was a mistake and the speed i was given was to low than the one i was buying..this happened last week cause of some changes in the company..anyway now it is fine and when someone else gets i nthe internet i have no problem.But the DNS server not responding i still get it and i don't know what is causing it..Maybe i sould let it as it is cause i don't have any other problem?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
What DNS server settings are you using? Have you tried changing them?

snooplove

snooplove

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Actually i have to admit i don't know exactly what is DNS server.But whenever i reset router i do the same things from the day i took it...i just go into my router's ip and write my username and password..It restarts and all it is ok

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
If the DNS settings in the modem are automatic and you aren't manually configuring them, your modem will be using the ISP DNS servers.

And if you reset your modem to defaults and things start working OK for a while, I'd be tempted to think the modem needs replacing. How old is the modem?

snooplove

snooplove

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
3 months max.my old modem was broken because i had lag spikes and i changed it

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Oh that's very interesting, so you've previously replaced the modem however the issue still continues?

Perhaps it's time to try configuring your modem to use a different DNS server then, such as Google DNS or OpenDNS. They are free to the public:

Google DNS
https://developers.g...eed/public-dns/

OpenDNS
https://www.opendns.com/

Choose one, configure your modem to use the settings and report back.

snooplove

snooplove

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Thanks.I used google dns and now works fine.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Fantastic, great result. I also would be tempted to report it to your ISP support, sounds like they need to fix up their own DNS servers.