Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hi All, I have a screen issue I need Help Please

• Please log in to reply

67mopar

67mopar

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
My laptop screen has gone haywire, I have fine vertical lines, and columns running horizontal, I connected to my tv with a svideo cable and there is no problem, Im wondering if my screen has just bit the dust, but this is a new one for me. Its a LG e500 laptop, 5 yrs old running vista, Im gonna try and include a screen shot. Thanks, Dean

Can you see the lines and blurryness, can anyone confirm my screen is junk or not. Thanks

Ok it does not appear that the corruption comes out on the screen shot. It might just be my screen is done how can I confirm this, Thanks again.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG

Edited by 67mopar, 13 August 2012 - 01:37 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you can connect it to a external and the issue is not happening then yes the laptop screen needs to be replaced.
You said you connected it to the tv but do you have a regular monitor you can try with also?

67mopar

67mopar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
Hi Ron, Thanks for replying , I dont have an external monitor that I can get my hands on right away I may have to wait for the weekend for that test, im leaning towards this screen is done, Its 5 yrs old now, and this crap seems to have a 5 yr life expectancy, I just want to rule out anything else before I go and spend money, This rig has been very good to me, Id like to fix it. Thanks

BTW I connected via Svideo,

Edited by 67mopar, 13 August 2012 - 03:01 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You might think about just replacing the screen. Youtube is a great source of video's to show you how to take it apart. You can look it up using the make and model and replace screen.
I could also try to find a website with instructions if you like. A screen can run between 30 to 100 dollars for a replacement but if the laptop works well other then that it might be worth the replacement cost.

67mopar

67mopar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
Yea I have sourced a few screens, just wanted to mke sure it wasnt a virus or something I missed before I take this apart. Thank you again, Im sure I will be looking you up again soon.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would suspect if it was a virus it would affect any screen since you would still be using the onboard graphics chip. :thumbsup: