Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Key functions

• Please log in to reply

thefoomom

thefoomom

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This is likely a silly problem for folks who are much more advanced technologically than I, but it is annoying and very frustrating to me, so I decided to post it. While typing, one of the fingers on my right hand apparently hits some key that causes my just typed narrative to highlight and then disappear. I have no idea why and would love to be able to stop this from happening. Can anyone explain this so that I might stop it. Thank you very much.

Advertisements

MikeMason

MikeMason

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Try pressing the "Insert" key once. If that doesn't work try pressing it twice.

thefoomom

thefoomom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks Mike - I assume this suggestion is if I continue to hit whatever key is causing the highlight and disappear, then this can recall the deleted narrative. Right??

MikeMason

MikeMason

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
The insert key is most likely the key you're accidentally pressing. If you overwrite or accidentally delete a word or a block of text. Whether it be in a word processing program or simply writing an e-mail in your web-browser. Simply click the "Edit" button at the top left of your screen and then click "Undo". This will bring back any text that's been accidentally deleted or overwritten.

Quick note: I only have and use Firefox for internet browsing. So I'm not sure if other web browsers have the "Edit", "Undo" feature but Firefox definitely has. If you find yourself constantly deleting what you've written. It would be worth you using Firefox as it would eradicate this problem for you.

Edited by MikeMason, 14 August 2012 - 08:31 AM.

MikeMason

MikeMason

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Re-reading what you've said. Maybe as you're typing. You're accidently hitting the "ctrl" button. If you hit "ctrl" and then press "a" this will highlight all your text. When you then type the next letter it will replace everything you've typed with that single letter. You will then need to do what I posted before this to get your text back.

Hope this helps, Mike.

Edited by MikeMason, 14 August 2012 - 08:30 AM.