Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building a Gaming PC

• Please log in to reply

JonnyProgrammingDude

JonnyProgrammingDude

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, I am looking to make my own gaming PC, although I really need help here. I sort of understand computer hardware, although I do not know what to buy. In case you are wondering, I currently have a $250 budget. Now, from my very light research, I read that you cannot build a Gaming PC for that price. Well, I have a 2007 Macbook, with 2 GB of RAM and an Intel Core 2 Duo processor with a Clock Speed of 2.0 GHz. You can look up the rest of the specs yourself. I did upgrade the RAM slightly. What I'd like to know is if I would save more by using the Parts within this Macbook, or just sell it altogether? I also have an old PPC G4, 500 MHz, 2 GB RAM, etc. Would I be able to use the RAM from that one? Also, is a Core 2 Duo 2 GHz processor good for gaming? I'm not looking at something top-of-the-line, just something that will play, for example, the Civilization Series. I have a copy of the Windows 7 Ultimate install DVD with both 32 and 64 bit installs. I have an 80 GB HD from my PPC G4, don't know if that would be compatible, but it's there. I would probably want a lot of HD space since I'm going to dual-boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.04. Plus Windows 7 will be used for gaming. So, the main questions are, what is the best set up for this budget, and can I use the Macbook parts, or should I just sell it? Thanks.

Advertisements

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Well, I've got some news. First, the bad news...there really isn't anything you could salvage from your Macbook that would be useful in a gaming PC buid.

Now the really bad news...$250 really won't even get you started on building a decent gaming rig.

JonnyProgrammingDude

JonnyProgrammingDude

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
So, how much would I expect to pay to build a decent rig?

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

So, how much would I expect to pay to build a decent rig?

This is just ballparking, but assuming you need a monitor as well an estimate would be:

Mobo: $75-$100
CPU: $100-$200
Case: $50-$100
PSU: $75-$100
RAM: $40-$60
GPU: $120-$250 (depending on your personal preferences and monitor chosen)
Optical Drive: $20
HDD: $70-$100
KB+Mouse (if necessary): $20-$50
Monitor: $100-$200

So, you could probably cobble together a system that can play most games at medium settings with future updgrade potential for around $600-$700, maybe a bit less if you went with a low cost AMD mobo and CPU. Obviously the more you spend the better the performance.

JonnyProgrammingDude

JonnyProgrammingDude

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Okay, thanks for your help. I guess I'll save that much. Are you sure I wouldn't be able to use the Hard Drive or RAM from my old Mac Desktop? (The PPC G4)

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Take a look here for some more options. > http://www.hardware-...-2012/#SixTiers

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Nope, the RAM isn't going to be compatible with a modern mobo/CPU and the HD is probably IDE and too small to be of much use anyways.