Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop crash with bootable CD

• Please log in to reply

ramaflore

ramaflore

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Hi,

From more than a year, I can't boot with a bootable CD without praying for God.
It becomes dramatic. After a few minutes, my laptop, Amilo Pro 3505 is drastically shutting down.

Also the same issue, from time to time, under my Safe Mode, after log in into my user or admin account.

My laptop shut down unexpectedly when doing a memory test with a boot CD, after 4 minutes.
I tried several times.

On the other hand, I have a KSOD issue from one year or more that it could be linked to the firs issue (see at the top):

- KSOD before the 'Welcome' screen where all accounts appearing: user account, admin account, guest account...
- KSOD when logging into my user and/or admin account (before appearing the dekstop)
- KSOD when I switch into another account, ie, from my user account to admin account (KSOD during more than 15sec)
- KSOD when closing my account

Let me know if you or someone here in this forum, could help me to fix this issue. Let me know where I can submit on this forum.

I disabled my drivers one by one on Bios and on the Device Manager to find the culprit, but I couldn't find anything: Black screen is always appeared.

I have the latest drivers, checked with the manufacturer Fujitsu Siemens site, even if they don't make any update since 2008.

PS: Six months ago, I formatted my HD (low-level format) and reinstall with the manufacturer Installation DVD, but this haven't solved these troubles. My laptop start in Normal Mode without any troubles except KSOD.

Thanks for your help !

Edited by ramaflore, 15 August 2012 - 08:19 AM.

Advertisements

ramaflore

ramaflore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Any help please ?

Why my post has been skipped ?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, try the Hitachi DFT CD Image version of the software

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

A If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip). If you prefer to use the USB version then use this link USB KEY
2. Unzip downloaded /memtest86+-4.20.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find /memtest86+-4.20.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-4.20.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

ramaflore

ramaflore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Thanks for your reply :thumbsup:

I don't have any bootable floppy disk and a bootable CD won't work.

How to do it ? The diagnostic tool to test my fujitsu HDD is an exe file.

Could I run it with the command prompt of Repair Computer F8 ?

Edited by ramaflore, 15 August 2012 - 03:10 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK first are you running off the battery or plugged into the wall?
Second why won't a bootable cd work?
Did you change the boot order in the bios?
Are you sure you are burning the cd correctly?
The file you need is not a exe file but is a ISO file. If you downloaded a EXE then you have the wrong file.
Running within a windows environment is what we are trying to get away from.

ramaflore

ramaflore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
1. Plugged into the wall
2. It's working but the laptop shut down unexpectedly after a few minutes.
3. Yes, sure !
4. Inside this zipped file, there is an exe.file you can check this

My link

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Was the file the ISO file ?
If the system is shutting down going to a bootable disk then this is not a Windows problem but most likely a power issue or a heating issue. How old is the laptop and what does it sit on when you are using it?
What is the temperature in the room you use it in?
Can you hear the fan speed up inside the laptop?
When was the last time you cleaned out the vents?

ramaflore

ramaflore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
1. Yes, iso files. The only bootable CD whith whom there is no drastically shutting down is Ubuntu CD. Others like, Memtest86, Hirens Boot CD, Fujitsu Diagnostic Tools are loading with the interface, but after a few minutes, laptop shut down.
2. Four years old. Laptop is sitting on the table, on two phone books
3. 25°C in the room
4. Yes, I can hear the fans
5. Never, I don't know how to access.

PS: My laptop batteries are taken out.
When I plugged into the socket wall, I have little sparks in the inside of the socket. It occurs from time to time.

Edited by ramaflore, 15 August 2012 - 05:29 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

1. Yes, iso files.

Then using the instructions for the hd burning create the bootable disk. That file you say is a exe is actually not showing correctly. If you use the instructions and choose that file it should be fine.

5. Never, I don't know how to access.

Vents should be on the side and\or the bottom of the laptop.

PS: My laptop batteries are taken out.
When I plugged into the socket wall, I have little sparks in the inside of the socket. It occurs from time to time.

Woah woah woah, disconnect from that outlet immediately. :tazz:
This may have damaged the laptop with the arcing in the wall.
Can you try a different outlet that doesn't arc because I believe what you are getting is a brown out in the current.

ramaflore

ramaflore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Yes, on the instructions it's said to : "3.2.1. Boot from a clean DOS disk.
3.2.2. Change to the drive/directory where FJDT.EXE is located." It's an exe file, and not an iso.
How do I run an exe file at boot without floppy disk ?

I know were the fans are located, but the problem was how to remove the plactic cover (on the fans). I will make a few screenshots. Fans need to cleaned. Could I break the grid plastic covering the fans as I can't remove the plastic cover ?

The others outlets here are more or less the same as I already had arcing with my old laptop, and few home appliances if I remember.

How do you explain that my laptop doesn't shut down at boot with Ubuntu CD and this,not occurs with others boot CD (not a burning troubles as it's working on others computers) ?
Why I can working on my laptop during hours without any shut down ?

Edited by ramaflore, 16 August 2012 - 05:54 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I know were the fans are located, but the problem was how to remove the plactic cover (on the fans). I will make a few screenshots. Fans need to cleaned. Could I break the grid plastic covering the fans as I can't remove the plastic cover ?

Use a can of compressed air to blow the dust out.

Yes, on the instructions it's said to : "3.2.1. Boot from a clean DOS disk.
3.2.2. Change to the drive/directory where FJDT.EXE is located." It's an exe file, and not an iso.
How do I run an exe file at boot without floppy disk ?

You don't unless it boots to the disk.
Can you please download the Seagate SeaTools DOS CD ISO and make the cd disk as instructed.

How do you explain that my laptop doesn't shut down at boot with Ubuntu CD and this,not occurs with others boot CD (not a burning troubles as it's working on others computers) ?
Why I can working on my laptop during hours without any shut down ?

This could be the hard drive or memory causing the issue with your laptop as the damage may already have been done.

ramaflore

ramaflore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Look at the screenshots, please.

About Seagate SeaTools, I have a message from their support :
"The Seatools for Windows are designed to be used on Seagate and Samsung drives only.

Using this software to test any other drive will most likely not provide the correct information.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact Seagate Technical Support.

Best regards"

Not for Fujitsu HDD.

"Use a can of compressed air to blow the dust out." Where the dust is it gone ?

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0548.JPG
  • DSCN0445.JPG
  • DSCN0447.JPG

Edited by ramaflore, 16 August 2012 - 04:10 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

The Seatools for Windows are designed to be used on Seagate and Samsung drives only.

Again Do not use the windows versions. The point of this is to not boot into windows at all when doing the hard drive diagnostics. With the DOS CD ISO and the disk burned correctly, when you boot with the disk in the cdrom drive it should never get to windows at all.
Inside of system looks pretty good.

ramaflore

ramaflore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
I couldn't make the test as the laptop shut down drastically.

It looks pretty good, but fan are dusty, I can see it beyond the grid plastic cover.

I forgot to mention that I removed my HDD in order to test my Ram memory.

I booted on a Live CD with one ram memory stick and then, I did the same with the other ram memory stick. On both test, my laptop shut down after a few minutes with a bootable CD (and my HDD removed). Maybe it can help you for the diagnostic.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yeah that tells me either heat or maybe a motherboard issue. Since it is plugged into the wall then we can discount it being a battery issue.