Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop crash with bootable CD

• Please log in to reply

ramaflore

ramaflore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
My batterie already was taken out.

Look at screenshot from yesterday night

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is why I'm saying it is not a battery issue.
The temps are high and I'm sure that is part of the issue.
If you have cleaned out the vents and blown out the inside of the laptop then the only other possibility is that the fan is not cooling correctly.
Since this is happening when booting to a cd would suggest that it is not a hard drive issue.
The boot sequence in my opinion should always be
  • cdrom
  • hd

This will ensure you can always boot your system in case of a problem.
Setting it to boot from the cdrom when asked does not mean it will work correctly.
The other option is to do a parallel installation and see if it still does it. That way you have a fresh OS with no programs except the windows default ones. To do this you would need a genuine OS installation as the manufacturers installation disk will not work.

ramaflore

ramaflore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
I've not yet cleaned out the vents, I need to buy a canned air as I didn't find how to remove the fan from my laptop. I removed all the screws but I couldn't taken out the entire plastic cover. Do you have an idea ?

My boot sequence is USB, CD-Rom and finally, HD.

Other thing, to do a parallel installation, do I need another computer/laptop ? If yes, I don't have one. If no, let me know more details, please.

Edited by ramaflore, 17 August 2012 - 07:33 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Other thing, to do a parallel installation, do I need another computer/laptop ? If yes, I don't have one. If no, let me know more details, please.

No what you need is a OS installation disk that matches what is installed on your system.
Obviously XP but it needs to be the right version of XP... Home Media or Pro. Also the right SP 1,2 or 3.
Normally on laptops if you take the hd out, take the battery out and open the lid where the memory goes you can blow the dust out with a can of compressed air with no problem. No need to take the laptop completely apart and I would not recommend it if you don't feel comfortable doing this.

ramaflore

ramaflore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
I recently did an upgrade, I suppose this is not a parallel installation.

Is a parallel installation a reinstallation ? yes, I have my Vista Installation DVD from a friend.

"open the lid where the memory goes", do you mean the kind of rack or trail (sorry for my bad english) ??

Edited by ramaflore, 17 August 2012 - 07:52 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
There should be a cover with a screw in it that covers the memory compartment on the laptop. Some have it on the bottom. If yours doesn't have it then it may be under the keyboard and then you don't have to worry about it.

Is a parallel installation a reinstallation ? yes, I have my Vista Installation DVD from a friend.

In a way yes it is. What you would be doing is actually installing a second OS on the hard drive. This should not affect anything with the original OS but allow you to boot the system up with only the default drivers and see if the system will work then.
If so then you can update all your drivers and verify everything is working correctly.
Then we can move the data from the old installation to the new one. You would have to reinstall any programs you have and get all the Microsoft updates for Windows again.
Once this is all done and the system is working correctly we would then delete the old installation leaving you a now working and up to date system again.

ramaflore

ramaflore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
I found the exact word, I was talking about cleaning the memory bay with the can of compressed air when you said: "open the lid where the memory goes you can blow the dust out with a can of compressed air with no problem."

I suppose I will have a dual boot option when startin my laptop.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I suppose I will have a dual boot option when startin my laptop.

Yes till we get the new installation stable and you verify everything works. Then we will get rid of the dual boot option.

ramaflore

ramaflore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Look at these pictures, I hope you can see it

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0564.JPG
  • DSCN0565.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I see burnt ends badly if that is what you mean.

Advertisements

ramaflore

ramaflore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Yes, exactely :thumbsup:

I see burnt ends badly if that is what you mean.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK and this is still what you are using to power your system?

ramaflore

ramaflore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Yes, rshaffer61 with the adaptor power from the manufacturer, of course.

Edited by ramaflore, 17 August 2012 - 12:58 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok then I suspect replacing it and trying to get a safe outlet to use. If that is not possible then you need to get a surge protector that will protect your system.

ramaflore

ramaflore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
I have on surge protector but I had also little sparks when plug in, that's the problem. I bought also another one, and the same problem occured.

Do I need to replace the entire adaptor power or only the cable with the outlet ?