Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How many Codecs can I safely install?

• Please log in to reply

Jemcrystal

Jemcrystal

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Can I keep downloading Codecs till my PC bursts or should I make an effort to remove the ones I already have before installing more (if possible and I wouldn't even know how)?

In Sims 2 my movie capture has never completely worked even after reinstall and use on several home computers and different disks. It let me capture uncompressed and I have been happy with that until now. Now I want to know what it would be like to alter the video shoot options. If I try I get a popup that says, "You do not have the correct codec installed," even tho obviously I do because it came with the Sims 2 CD.

Thinking of trying vp6_decoder and/or K-Lite. When I go to K-Lite's site they advice download all packages for 32-bit and 64-bit just in case you run into someone's 32-bit PC made vid (mine is 64).

I do not know anything about Codecs other than they compress movie files. I do not know what Codecs I already have. I do not know if you can install to many on your PC. Any thoughts?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Normally with something like this where the codecs would be stored in one area or folder you would not need to uninstall anything because as you update the older versions will be replaced with newer ones and anything you don't have will be added to the folder and used only when needed. :thumbsup:

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 31 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.