Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WIRELESS CONNECT PROBLEMS

• Please log in to reply

capper

capper

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
I got a Panasonic Let's Note series laptop. It's the Japanese version of the Toughbook. I have had it for about 5 years and originally installed Windows XP English into it.

A few weeks ago, I couldn't get my wireless connection to work at home. I tried it away from home and had the same problem. An error message -- something about a supplicant problem -- kept popping up everytime I tired to connect. A computer tech guy checked it and told me that my wireless card was not functioning. He suggested I get a wireless adapter. I went on Ebay and bought an LB-LINK Wireless USB Adapter (150Mbps). I installed the software and got it to work -- at a computer shop. In fact, I got it to work at 2 different computer shops I have visited in the past couple of days. However, at home and where I am currently take a course (my school), I am unable to hold my Internet connection for more than a few seconds before it disconnects.

Can anyone suggest anything? Obviously, I don't want to have to go out and buy another wireless adapter. The laptop WILL work when hardwired into my LAN at home. I would like to be able to take it with me -- at least for now so I can get my other laptop serviced (it has a problem with its heat sink and possibly CPU fan).

THANKS!

Advertisements

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
Have you tried relocating the laptop to somewhere where the signal may be better? If you have a smart phone it may be easy to find out how close or far away you are by keeping an eye on how my WiFi bars you have.

If you've tried that you may want to consider going back to the store to ask if they'll take it back for store credit so you can purchase a higher end one.