Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows Recovery Console

• Please log in to reply

WilliamP

WilliamP

• PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
I had to do some house cleaning and used ComboFix which installed the Windows Recovery Console. Now every time I boot the Recovery Console screen pops up for about 3 seconds. How can I stop the pop up?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Very simple to do in just a couple of steps. :thumbsup:
This is for the bootup part so if you are talking about after Windows loads then I can get the uninstall instructions for that also.

Please do the following in the exact steps. Failure to do so could make the boot.ini damaged and cause unstable or unusable results with your system.:

Save a Backup Copy of Boot.ini

1. Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl and then click OK.
2. Click on the Advanced tab, and then click Settings
3. In the Startup and Recovery area at the bottom click Settings.
4. Under System Startup click Edit. This opens the Boot.ini file in Notepad ready for editing.
5. In Notepad, click File on the Menu bar, and then click Save As.
6. First in here change the location in the top white drop down box to Desktop. Then in the file name change to Boot.old and save as Text Document(*.txt) and save it to your Desktop and then click Save

Please copy and paste all the lines from your Boot.ini file in your next reply.

WilliamP

WilliamP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
Thank you for the help. I was just wondering if I should just leave it on there? What do you think?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It is up to you. The RC is a good tool to have in case your system will not bootup. You will still have access to the diagnostics stuff in case you don't have a OS disk.
Did you have a malware tech assist you with Combofix? If so then once they had cleaned the system they would have given you the instructions to uninstall combofix.

WilliamP

WilliamP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
Yes I did at Bleeping Computer.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Firstly I feel bound to say that ComboFix, is a tool for experts and it is extremely easy to ruin your system if you do not really know how to use ComboFix

Here is the authorative statement on its use

You should not be using Combofix unless you have been instructed to do so by a Malware Expert. It is a powerful tool intended to be used under the guidance and supervision of an expert, not for private use. Using this tool incorrectly could adversely impact your system and prevent it from ever starting again.

Secondly, I would whilst still being of the opinion above, leave the recovery console, as a boot option, it could prove invaluable in the event of problems, loading windows.

However if you wish to proceed here is an example of the boot.ini on XP with the recovery console
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

that part of the boot.ini being in red.

This is only an example and yours may not look like this, for instance, depending on how your system is set up depends on what is shown for partition and rdisk

Here is what I mean
[boot loader]
timeout=5
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

Now if you go to
Start and right click My Computer and then click properties
Then click the advanced tab and then the startup and recovery settings button - you will see on the system startup the time to display the options, you can reduce this if you decide to keep it.

To remove it see this
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022

CAUTION ensure you are certain what you are editing from the boot.ini

FOLLOW carefully the procedure here

• Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties. -or- Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.
  • On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
  • Under System Startup, click Edit. This opens the file in Notepad ready for editing.
  • In Notepad, click File on the Menu bar, and then click Save As.
  • Right click in an empty area of the Save As dialog box, point to New in the context menu, and then click Folder.
  • Type a name for the new folder, for example temp, and then press the ENTER key to create the folder named temp.
  • Double-click the new folder named temp, and then click the Save button to save a backup copy of the Boot.ini file.

Edit the Boot.ini File
To view and edit the Boot.ini file:

• Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties. -or- Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.
  • On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
  • Under System Startup, click Edit.
FINALLY I was going to proceed on the issue of why you used combofix in the first place and your best course of action now BUT my colleague has posted whilst this was being typed, and whilst we are more than willing to help, it may I think have been better if you had continued with this question on the other site.
http://www.bleepingc...opic464678.html

I feel sure that the expert who was helping, would have continued, with any further advice you wished, as indeed he indicated on his closing post.

That all said, we at Geeks to Go, are of course pleased to help

WilliamP

WilliamP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
Thank you for the help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What steps if any are you following?
:confused:

WilliamP

WilliamP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
I have decided to leave well enough alone.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK thanks for letting us know and for allowing us to answer your question. Let us know if there is anything else we can help you with. :thumbsup: