Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black Startup Screen, Activation related

• Please log in to reply

Sarous

Sarous

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
Computer, Stock:
Windows Vista32 Basic
Toshiba Satellite, Laptop. Model L355-S7915

Computer History:
Drive C virus infected beyond repair.
Installed Windows Vista32 Basic into partition Drive E, creating Dual-Boot.
Months later, intended to delete Drive C & merge space to Drive E (unable to format primary drive)
Clean Installed Drive C, Windows Vista32 Home Premium (with intention to eventually merge E's space to C)
Immediately following clean install, Drive E displayed bottom-right notice of being "Not Genuine"
Attempted from Drive E to use a program "Windows Vista Activation Tool Kit 2.2" to get rid of the notice, failure resulted in problem.

Problem:
Bios appears to begin properly. Normally, it gives an option as to which OS to run--it currently finishes the bios screen, then displays a black screen with a blinking dos-cursor. F8 accesses 'Setup' and 'Boot Manager' (have tried neither option). I currently cannot access either OS, and am afraid to do anything further without advise.

Acceptable Conclusion:
Willing to accept total loss of both OS if necessary. Ability to salvage or Clean Install Drive C, with ability to retrieve saved files from Drive E.

Clarify: I do NOT want to bypass activation. I DO want to return this computer to a state that is usable, preferably without losing personal files on Drive E.

Requesting assistance, please.

Edited by Sarous, 16 August 2012 - 12:11 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
In my opinion, and I regret that if I am correct it is NOT good information

This from your previous topic where Amlak and rshaffer61 were helping you, may well be the cause of some of the problems

Original disk for which the slipstream was made was a torrented HomeBasic/HomePremium/Ultimate

That is from this topic
http://www.geekstogo...__fromsearch__1

Two issues come to my mind

1. Creating partitions on an OEM computer is always a risk.
On many OEM machines the HDD is already parttioned, but one of the partitions is hidden and contains the means to recover to factory condition - which in the case of this computer - was accomplished I think by the use of the provided

Software Included
Toshiba Recovery DiskCreator,
Toshiba HDD recovery.

Recovery disc which then allowed you to access the hidden partition on the HDD.

There is every possibility that by creating a partition on which to install VIsta WITH as I read it the torrented download of the installation disc, slipstreamed to include the SP, means that your system is now ONLY going to be fixed with a clean install

Because of the way Vista installs and the Boot Configuration Data, as against the old boot.ini on XP a parallel install can only be made on a separate partition, it cannot be installed on simply a differently named directory as XP could, and therefore of course you had no choice but to create the partition by taking the path of the parallel install

Also and I will stand corrected it is my understanding that this

"Windows Vista Activation Tool Kit 2.2

is basically - software to circumvent the requirements of WGA - Windows genuine Advantage - in otherwords a "crack" for activating non-licensed software.

PLEASE NOTE IF I AM WRONG I APOLOGISE NOW

So in short if I am correct and bearing in mind that you say this

Clarify: I do NOT want to bypass activation. I DO want to return this computer to a state that is usable, preferably without losing personal files on Drive E.

although I feel we cannot help with the actual problem itself - other than to advise that you obtain the disc from Toshiba or if they no longer supply the reinstallation disc, from one of the offerings on the web, as to recovering your data use this.

http://www.geekstogo...over-your-data/

Follow the guide, make the CD using the suggested BurnCDDC, as it is an ISO, then boot from the CD, if necessary changing the boot priority order.

I have notified my good colleague rshaffer61, who was helping before, so that he as Moderator may review my opinions.

I have NOT checked your specific computer but this may assist
http://aps2.toshiba-...02140000R01.htm#

with your eventual attempt to recover, although as I said - the chance is slim

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Windows Vista Activation Tool Kit 2.2 is a way of bypassing the activation on systems. This bundled with the torrent version of you OS is probably the cause of all your issues. :whistling:

I would have to agree with Macboatmaster and with all the partitioning you have done I would suggest backing up the data you need. Purchase a set of recovery disks from Toshiba or purchase a legal copy of the OS that matches what the sticker says on the system.
From there it will depend on which way above you go. If through Toshiba the partitions will be recreated as it was when the system left the factory. If you purchase a new OS installation disk then you would need to wipe out all partitions and do a fresh install of the OS. Of course this would be done after you backup the data you need to keep. .

Please let us know how you would like to proceed now. :thumbsup:

Sarous

Sarous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
As stated, so long as a Clean Install on drive C works, I'll be happy. I'm just terrified to touch the thing because it won't boot up. Would it even accept an install disk in this condition? Hoping to get my hands on the machine later tonight & look at it with my own eyes.

Yes, WV Activation Tool Kit is a crack. However, the slipstream attempted in the previous thread failed, its using a standard install with updates.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK first is there any data to save?
If so then we need to address that first.
Second and not to sound rude but we need to get this back to as close as possible as factory that we can.
Without the original OS disk then we need to use the legal disk you have.
Then we need to wipe out all partitions. Reset up one partition for everything, format it with NTFS and reinstall the OS fresh.
I think the issue arrived when you did the merge attempt and the bootmgr is now corrupted trying to find a OS that is not there anymore.
What do you think is this the direction you want to follow?

PS: can you tell us where the OS installation disk you have now that is legal came from? Be honest because we don't want to mess with something that is going to cause issues or not work at all.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
1. Get your data using puppy that runs only in ram so it cannot possibly do any more damage

Would it even accept an install disk in this condition?

The only way you are going to find out is to follow the link I sent you at the end of my post and if it does not work, format it and start again.

AND it must be me as I am confused

Original disk for which the slipstream was made was a torrented HomeBasic/HomePremium/Ultimate

but now you say

However, the slipstream attempted in the previous thread failed, its using a standard install with updates

and I thought you said you did not have a reinstallation disc, as the one you borrowed was the wrong edition

IS THIS the situation.
That laptop was supplied with Vista Home Basic.

You installed Vista Home Premium

That laptop will not validate Vista Home Premium using the porduct key for the Vista Home Basic.

The only way you can use that key is to install Vista Home Basic and possibly or indeed likely from a TOSHIBA Vista Home Basic reinstallation CD

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
There is no reason it won't accept the install disk if it is a legal version. You run into problems with these torrents because files are normally missing or replaced with malware. :thumbsup: