Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help! hard drive died

• Please log in to reply

davehawkinge

davehawkinge

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi All

a couple of days ago my hard drive decided to die, I have now brought a cable to turn it into a external drive to take off all my files i really need. It now says i need to format two local disks, i really dont wont to do this as im sure i will lose important files, could anyone suggest a way i can get the files off please. thanks in advance

dave

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi and welcome,

Sounds like the partition information has been lost. Perhaps you could confirm by taking a screenshot and posting it here?

Also wondering why it wants to format two local disks, do you know how many partitions the drive had originally and sizes?

Cheers

davehawkinge

davehawkinge

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for your reply

I have no idea why it wants to format just two, when i first pluged it all in to use as a external it was working fine and all came up until i tried to access photos need and word files, then it just went and crashed. im wondering if the files will still be recoverable ? sorry im not much help with provdng information. i think it has 1 partiton the laptop isnt even 1 year old yet. i have never formatted the hard drve before. i suspect this was caused by me leaving laptop on bed and over heating, or held the latop upside down im unsure. soon as i plug in the hard as a external it pops up with. you need to format the disk in drive H before you can use it.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
What kind of errors were you getting while it was still in the notebook?

Why do you think plugging it into an external enclosure will help?

Generally hard drive errors occur in one of 2 areas. Either a something happens to the external PCB (circuit board), or something happens internally to the heads, platters, spindles, etc.

The PCB is about the only thing you can attempt to repair yourself, and I wouldn't recommend it if the data on the drive is critical. The PCB is generally attached with T9 torx screws, and can be replaced if you can find another drive of not only the same make/model, but firmware. There are sites that specialize in the sale of replacement PCBs.

Finally, if you decide to leave it to a pro, hard drive recovery will probably cost at a minimum $500, and can be in the thousands if the damage is internal.