Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

server connection problems

• Please log in to reply

h2oman

h2oman

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, I have a mac in my bedroom with a network setup for my wifes laptop and son's desktopPC (which is in the garage 30' away)
no prob with the laptop but my sons desktop computer doesnt get connection all that great some of the time. He is on online gaming often, with freezing etc..
There is no internet connection in the garage and was curious what can be done to boost his connection to my server..??
Any help is much appreciated..best!!
Kirk

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi and welcome,

So he is using a wireless connection, is that right? The best option would be to put a wired cable in, however sometimes this is not achievable due to budget.

There are bigger aerials that may be of assistance, also do you know the make/model of the wireless router and also the connection card in his computer?

Troy

h2oman

h2oman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi and again thanks
The router on my computer is NetGear 54 Mbps wireless router WGR614 v7.
He has no connection card, being a noob it looks like thats what I need...correct?
thanks

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
OK I'm confused. If he has no connection card, how is he connecting to the internet to play games?

h2oman

h2oman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
hey he does have a built in card 802.11n wireless lan card.
The problem is the internet speed is very slow, with only 2 bars connection to network, thanks

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Well if he has a 802.11n wireless card then the first suggestion would be to upgrade your router to one that supports 802.11n (known as "Wireless N"). This will allow his computer to connect at full speed and also the new router will have much better range.