Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with hard drive upgrade in laptop

• Please log in to reply

Ozzy13

Ozzy13

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I have a pretty old laptop, maybe 5 to 6 years. it still runs well, but the hard drive went out recently. i haven't been able to find a replacement that is the same interface because it is an ATA-100. I have been looking for a ata/pata to a sata adapter, but have tried 3 different ones with no luck. can somebody point me in the right direction for an adapter, or help find an ata hard drive? thanks!

Advertisements

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Getting harder and harder to find PATA hard drives these days.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822136345

Ozzy13

Ozzy13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thank you so much for the quick reply! If anybody can help me find an adapter, that would really be a better option for me i think, i don't have very much money to fix this right now.... but i can get a newer hard drive from a friend who repairs laptops.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You will need to be a little more specific on what kind of adapter you are talking about.
Pata to Sata?
ATA100 to ATA133?

Ozzy13

Ozzy13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
well, from what i understand,the old drive was a ATA-100. so i guess then i would need an ata100 to sata adapter?

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
I honestly don't believe there is an adapter that would suite your purposes. You can do it on a desktop, but I think for a laptop you're stuck with a native PATA drive. There simply isn't enough room to fit an adapter on a notebook.

You could choose one of these in mulitple sizes as well:

http://www.amazon.co...k/dp/B001SQH1DY

Edited by kidnova, 17 August 2012 - 09:32 AM.

Ozzy13

Ozzy13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
okay. thank you so much for your help, i will try and see if my mom will lend me some money for a hard drive :) you guys are always so helpful! thanks again!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Kidnova did all the work and a great job at that. :thumbsup:
Let us know if there is any other questions you may have.