Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp restore not working

• Please log in to reply

melgor

melgor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I tried pinging yahoo domain and url on both the old and new accounts, results were pretty much the same for all and were much worse than previous, before it was over 200ms, now it is over 800ms.

Correct me please if I am wrong but even if I can identify and remove the bad installation this will not let me reinstall IE8, or will it.

If not then reluctantly it would appear that the best bet would be a complete XP reinstallation

If I have to do that I do have a back up of all my data on an external disc so should be ok in that respect but the only XP discs I have are the recovery discs I made when I first purchased the pc. I also have the original discs for my main design programmes. Is this all I would need and are there any other precautions you could suggest I take. I've never done this before but I presume it should be easy enough to follow Windows instructions.

I'm going to call it a night now and tomorrow, depending on what your reply, I will either try uninstalling one programme at a time or will perform full surgery, or try anything else you suggest..

Your advice would be appreciated.

Thanks again for all your help

Gordon

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

I tried pinging yahoo domain and url on both the old and new accounts, results were pretty much the same for all and were much worse than previous, before it was over 200ms, now it is over 800ms.

In view of this I would wait PLEASE until I come back at 1800 I have to go. I am too late now.
Early start

melgor

melgor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi Mac

Do I detect a note of cautious optimism?

Whatever, I will wait.

Meanwhile, out of curiosity I repeated the ping tests on google domain and url - both as before about 25ms
also pinged 192.168.2.2 and 192.168.2.1 - both returned 0ms

This morning I managed to identify the programmes I have installed recently.

I started this thread on 17th August and know I had been experiencing my problems for maybe a week before that so I looked for programmes I installed on or after 1st August - this revealed

1. Auslogics + Data Lifeguard Diagnostic + Speccy - all installed at your suggestion since this thread started therefore not considered a threat
2. Speed Bit Video Downloader + Speed Bit Video Acceleratot , both installed 12th August, last used 18th August - possible suspect
3. Screen Step Maker, installed 4th August, last used 14th August - possible suspect

Going further back, I installed during July

4. Document Marketing Robot (a well know Social Site for Document Sharing) installed 6 July, last used 11 July
5. Keyword XP (a keyword reearch tool, sold thousands on Warrior Special Offers, no complaints that I know of) installed and last used on 24 July

None of items 1-5 above are present in pc B (goodie)

I have not taken any action on any of these but am quite happy to uninstall any or all of them if you consider they might have caused my problems

One further thought I notice Firefox have isued a warning about Java v7. I installed Update 4 and a Java Fix to v7 on 6 June and it remains in my pc although the Add-On in Firefox was disabled several weeks ago.

See you tonight
Gordon

Edited by melgor, 28 August 2012 - 05:34 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. I am slightly confused

I tried pinging yahoo domain and url on both the old and new accounts, results were pretty much the same for all and were much worse than previous, before it was over 200ms, now it is over 800ms

Meanwhile, out of curiosity I repeated the ping tests on google domain and url - both as before about 25ms

If one time it is 25 ms and another is 200 and then 800 it is more than likely a line fault, not something on the compuer.
Such faults on the line may not effect in anyway the telephone - voice, but can easily effect the broadband, as the broadband is FAR higher frequency and travels along - in simple terms a different part of the wiring, from the exchange to your house.

HIOWEVER that would not account of course for the other computer being OK

Do we know for certain that AT the same time as close as you can get it - ping returns on one ARE so different from ping returns on another.

Go to the computer that is connected wirelessly make a note of the settings for the adaptor TCP/IP Properties and the DHCP and DNS, as you did on this, then come back to this computer and compare, both will of course be IP address automatically I am sure and both will be DNS automatically however compare please the NETBIOS over TCP/IP, and the DNS settings.

It will NOT be Auslogics, providing it is only the defrag, neither will it be the disk check, or Speccy, it MAYBE the others. HOWEVER I thought that as soon as I saw the
Speccy and latterly the winaudit, but we had already tried safe mode, and most of those will not be running in safe mode and we have since tried a new user account

SORRY you detected anote of optimism, I wish it was true, it was simply time to go. Early start 0700

melgor

melgor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
ok, the computers are almost side by side so I was able to set up the same settings on each and press ENTER on both simultaneously

I ran one test and was a little surprised by the result, particularly the "timed out" so ended up by testing 3 times, the results are shown below as test1 - test2 - test3
TO = timed out, (3) = only 3 received, 1 lost

GOOD PC
192.168.2.2 - TO - TO - TO
192.168.2.1 - 1 - 2 - 6
google.com - 42 - 27 - 28
173.194.34.66 (google) - 27 - 27 - 27
yahoo.com - 731 - 698 - 328
72.30.38.140 (yahoo) - 1062 - 1117 (3) - 961

BAD PC
192.168.2.2 - 0 - 0 - 0
192.168.2.1 - 0 - 0 - 0
google.com - 25 - 25 (3) - 25
173.194.34.66 (google) - 25 - 25 - 25
yahoo.com - 186 - 183 - 175
72.30.38.140 (yahoo) - 1002 - 738 - 937

Hope it means more to you than me, especially where the bad pc seemed to perform better than the good pc

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
It is clearly NOTHING to do with THIS computer.
I personally do no think it is anything connected with the other computer either.

I think it is the line

TRY a new or at least replacement ADSL filter, between line and modem

melgor

melgor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
changed filter for a brand new filter, improvement if any is small

whereas before download speed was below 15kbs now it tends to fluctuate between 15 and 23, could this just be due to time of night?

still cannot understand how a line fault could only affect 1 computer, my other computer is still downloading around 120kbs

tomorrow I'll have another try at getting some sense out of TalkTalk re line fault but am not holding my breath, failing that I'll start getting rid of some superfluous installations, then if still no joy all I can think of is to reinstall XP unless you can suggest otherwise

I did try again to reinstall IE but got blue screen again

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Are we not just slightly beginning to go round in circles

still cannot understand how a line fault could only affect 1 computer, my other computer is still downloading around 120kbs

It does NOT - surely

Hope it means more to you than me, especially where the bad pc seemed to perform better than the good pc

To which line socket is the modem connected, the master jack where the service comes into the house, or a slave jack.
If a slave jack connect to the master jack.

AND
type in address bar of browser

key enter

you should now be on this page
Untitled.jpg

are you please

melgor

melgor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
got my ISP TalkTalk engineers doing line checks, they've promised to get back to me in 24/48 hours

will contact you as soon as they do

many thanks

Gordon

melgor

melgor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi again Mac and sorry for the extended delay

It appears that you were correct in diagnosing a line fault.

Spent 3 days talking to ISP Engineers with a final word from them that they could find no problems

Then decided to do another speed test only to find an error message "there is a fault on your exchange", nevertheless performed speed test using both computers and results were very similar to before.

The "Exchange Fault" remained listed for about 1 week. When it eventually cleared I did another speed test with definite improvements.

Download speeds on Good pc up to average 5.5mbps from 1.2 and Bad pc up to average 0.6mbps from 0.15. Definite improvements but the Bad pc is still way below par and still a problem.

Also tried pinging Yahoo and Google again, slight improvements here but Yahoo still taking between 500 and 800ms on both pc, google better at about 27ms

Incidentally as part of the line tests I can confirm that I am connected direct to the master jack and I have taken the cover of this and have tested direct into the test socket with no difference to results

The only other thing I have done is to restore my bad pc to the earliest possible restore point (remember most of my restore points were wiped out in the process of testing). Good News - This restore point actually restored IE so that particular problem is rectified. I also managed to identify everything I had installed on to the bad pc subsequent to a date approx 2 weeks prior to my troubles starting and have now uninstalled all these.

Although speeds have now improved I am still left with one pc which downloads ok and another which is not ok.

Have you any suggestions as to where we go now?

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Welcome back

You will not be surprised to know that I have lost the fine details of the topic, in the intervening period since the 29 August

To save me reading again to see where we are
ON the computer that apparently has the problem are you NOW connected wirelessly or wired

If wireless - try wired and see if the result is different

melgor

melgor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Thanks for the welcome

The problem pc is the one which is hard wired, the good pc is wireless

I have tried swapping them around, no difference

On the problem pc I have so far checked the hard drive (no problems) checked (including replacing) both router and ethernet cable, both ok

If it will help I can briefly summarise all the tests undertaken to date with results, just let me know

Thanks again for your help

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Might be easier to see what device manager is showing. :whistling:

Please Go to

1: START and the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Please while I am working with you again, do not change connections, do not change back to wireless, do not run any test or any possible fix, except what I ask.

I APOLOGISE if that sounds instructional, it is not meant that way, but I end up not knowing exactly what has been done, what has not been done and indeed which connection you now have.

THAT of course does NOT include the requests made by my good colleague rshaffer61

After you have done what he has asked
please do this again

GO start, run, type cmd
then at the prompt type
ipconfig /all >c:ipconfig.txt
note please the space between all and >c:
key enter

then type exit and key enter
Go C Drive
open the txt file with word
copy and paste the actual results pls not as a file that I have to open

melgor

melgor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
ok, understood

device manager screenshot attached

to get the text file details after the command prompt I typed

ipconfig/all >c:ipconfig.txt exit (that is no space between ipconfig and /all but with a space between all and >c: and also a space before exit

then I keyed Enter - Was this correct?

I had to hunt for the file but eventually found it in Documents and Settings, file details below:

Error: unrecongnized or incomplete command line. USAGE: ipconfig [/? | /all | /renew [adapter] | /release [adapter] | /flushdns | /displaydns | /registerdns | /showclassid adapter | /setclassid adapter [classid] ] where adapter Connection name (wildcard characters * and ? allowed, see examples) Options: /? Display this help message /all Display full configuration information. /release Release the IP address for the specified adapter. /renew Renew the IP address for the specified adapter. /flushdns Purges the DNS Resolver cache. /registerdns Refreshes all DHCP leases and re-registers DNS names /displaydns Display the contents of the DNS Resolver Cache. /showclassid Displays all the dhcp class IDs allowed for adapter. /setclassid Modifies the dhcp class id. The default is to display only the IP address, subnet mask and default gateway for each adapter bound to TCP/IP. For Release and Renew, if no adapter name is specified, then the IP address leases for all adapters bound to TCP/IP will be released or renewed. For Setclassid, if no ClassId is specified, then the ClassId is removed. Examples: > ipconfig ... Show information. > ipconfig /all ... Show detailed information > ipconfig /renew ... renew all adapters > ipconfig /renew EL* ... renew any connection that has its name starting with EL > ipconfig /release *Con* ... release all matching connections, eg. "Local Area Connection 1" or "Local Area Connection 2"

Attached Thumbnails

• devmg.JPG