Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question about having two OS's

• Please log in to reply

Gizzy57

Gizzy57

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
I have a friend that has a Solid State Drive (SSD) which he has Windows 7 on right now but he isn't really happy with 7 and would like to put Windows XP on it so if he wanted to put both OS's on that drive, would he be able to do that and make XP the Primary OS? How would he do this and would he have to unplug his other WD hard drive to be able to do this. Can a (SSD) be formatted for this? I am not sure I am wording this all right cause for some reason its not making any since to me so hope somebody can understand Old age talking...lol..

Thanks
Hugz
Gizzy :lol:

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First question is where is the system that the drive was installed in originally?
Second question is was Win7 the original OS on that drive in the system?
Third Observation is yes you can do it but why?
Fourth is you can't make it the primary boot since Win7 is the original OS installed without formatting the drive forst. Then you would have to partition the drive and install XP first and then Win7.
Fifth and the reason why I question putting XP on is that you will most likely not find drivers for the newer system that had Win7 installed originally for XP.
Sixth is where is the XP OS coming from and is it installed already on another system right now?

Gizzy57

Gizzy57

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

First question is where is the system that the drive was installed in originally?
Second question is was Win7 the original OS on that drive in the system?
Third Observation is yes you can do it but why?
Fourth is you can't make it the primary boot since Win7 is the original OS installed without formatting the drive forst. Then you would have to partition the drive and install XP first and then Win7.
Fifth and the reason why I question putting XP on is that you will most likely not find drivers for the newer system that had Win7 installed originally for XP.
Sixth is where is the XP OS coming from and is it installed already on another system right now?

Thanks

This is for that system I built with lots of help from this forum and it is a new system that Windows 7 was installed on an SSD but he really don't care much for 7 and would rather have his XP back on it but not sure how that would work...This windows CD was installed on the computer that crashed so I know he will have to probably go through a new Licenes number and all that but I think he would be happy to go through all that just to have it back..I was asking if he could have them both only because I am hoping he will keep trying to get used to 7 and if he has it on there he he more then likely to use it..So to do this he would have to do a complete reinstall only use the XP CD this time? reformat the drive and all that?

Thanks
Hugz
Gizzy

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Basically yes you have to to setup two partitions on the hard drive and then the XP would have to be installed first on the first partition.
Then Win7 would be installed on the second partition. Win7 would then setup the bootmgr so that when the system boots up he would be given a choice of which OS he wants to boot to.
I still have to remind you that since this is a new system the chances of XP drivers being available for sound, video, motherboard chipset, internet is going to be slim to none. Without those driver none of the listed parts will work.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 28 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

Gizzy57

Gizzy57

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 28 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

Opps sorry about the long delay in a reply to this issue..I really thought I did so can you please forgive this old lady..lol..This problem was resolved by just deciding to stick with the windows 7 and fight the battle of getting used to it and he now has since decided its not so bad and still uses his other PC with XP on it while he is getting used to 7. Just a man that hates changes is all this really was..lol..

Thank you so much for your time and patients

Hugz
Gizzy

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome and thank you for the update. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to assist you. :thumbsup: