Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

not sure whats wrong..but need help to fix

• Please log in to reply

anaday26

anaday26

• Pip
  • 1 posts
;) Hi, okay when i turn my comp on it goes thru the motions like it is loading then i get the following screen:

WE APOLOGIZE FOR THE INCONVENIENCE BUT WINDOWS DID NOT START SUCCESSFULLY. A RECENT HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE CHANGE MIGHT HAVE CAUSED THIS. IF YOUR COMPUTER STOPPED RESPONDING, RESTARTED UNEXPECTEDLY, OR WAS AUTOMATICALLY SHUT DOWN TO PROTECT YOUR FILES CHOOSE,
LAST KNOWN GOOD CONFIGURATION TO REVERT TO MOST RECENT SETTINGS THAT WORKED.
IF A PREVIOUS STARTUP ATTEMPT WAS INTERRUPTED DUE TO POWER FAILURE OR POWER RESET WAS PRESSED OR DONT KNOW CHOOSE,
START WINDOWS NORMALLY.

SAFE MODE
SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING
SAFE MODE COMMAND PROMPT
LAST KNOWN GOOD CONFIGURATION
START WINDOWS NORMALLY

so we have done alll that and it keeps coming right back to this same screen as typed above!! we cant even get to the page where we can log in or anything....we have not installed anything new and have the current 2005 virus protection, etc...what has happened what is the cause and can it be fixed ??? please any help would be greatly appreciated.......you all have helped so many people and i hope you can help me...i miss my computer!! :tazz: thanks, riss

Advertisements

pgarvie

pgarvie

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
you did try the last know good config setting??

e&jemerson

e&jemerson

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
:tazz: hey we are having the same problem. i even tried to change my bios setting to start up from cd drive but could not change any settings in advanced startup. the xp disk would not even run!!!!!!!!!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
did you have windows autoupdate on?

e&jemerson

e&jemerson

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
i am pretty sure that autoupdate was on but not positive

Chawoobie

Chawoobie

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have had the same problem on one of my computers, except that if I select start normally, the computer proceeds to operate normally. I tried the repair idea and other things with no luck, and have searched the web extensively for a solution - without success.
Finally I found what seems to be a solution on my own - might be worth a try for your problem, if you can get to windows in Safe mode, or one of the other ways. May have to try to go to Command prompt to change the attribute.

Go to C:\Windows and right-click on bootstat.dat, then open properties. At the bottom, under attributes, uncheck the Read-only box, then close and reboot. See if that helps. So far, I have no longer received the "We are sorry..." message.
My guess is that bootstat stores data about the configuration of your computer when it shuts down, and refers to this data when it reboots. If it is marked Read-only, it can't store the current configuration on shut down, thus pops up the message on reboot.

Edited by Chawoobie, 17 June 2005 - 09:08 PM.