Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP Compaq NC8430 won't boot.

• Please log in to reply

Rhiea

Rhiea

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Yesterday out of the blue my laptop crashed, then restarted it's self right away, so against my better judgment I continued to use it. After it rebooted I noticed a spot to the left of my track pad, that when touched made my screen get blue and green pixel blotches. After bumping it a second time my computer screen went completely black for a second. When it came back up my laptop had a window up that said my graphics settings were reset due to inability to access the drivers (This isn't exact, and now I regret not making a proper note of what it said) The spot on the computer no longer made the screen act funny after that. A few minuets later the computer crashed again and refused to boot.
I got it to start up earlier, by removing the battery and only leaving it plugged in, but I would not start again after I shut it back off.

Any idea what's wrong, or how to fix it? I'm at a loss, and not nearly as good at hardware problems (Which I think this is) as I am software.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
:welcome:

There is a strong possibility that your notebook is overheating, when if ever was the last time that the computer was cleaned out of heat trapping dust.

When you power on the notebook can you hear the CPU fan working and if so does it sound as it normally would.

To comprehensively clean out the dust from a notebook requires an almost full disassembly of the computer and this is not a task that the average user should undertake, you can however do a partial clean using a can of compressed air.

Remove what covers you can on the notebook such as the memory, battery and hard drive etc and then direct short bursts of air through such openings as the exhaust vents, memory opening and such and this will hopefully provide an adequate clear out of dust.

Please note that when using canned compressed air you should not upend the can as it is possible for fluid to be expelled.

A guide to help you with removing the memory and battery etc http://www.leong.nl/...8420-nw8440.pdf

Rhiea

Rhiea

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks dearly for the help!~

I've gotten it to start up again, though it feels like the fan may not be blowing properly or moving as much air as it should. An awful lot of dust came out when I blew it out with the canned air. Could the fan be jammed/slowed with dirt? I also have a lot of cats and I'm sure that could be adding to the problem. Keeping my keys cleaned out is a nightmare.

Any other tips to help keep the computer cool?

Also, what about the problem I had while touching my computer? it that a heat problem as well?

Edited by Rhiea, 18 August 2012 - 02:38 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
You are welcome Rhiea :thumbsup:

though it feels like the fan may not be blowing properly

This is a concern the CPU fan may be clogged with cat hairs, will the computer now function?

Normal everyday dust is an issue for computers and pets whilst we adore them they inadvertently add to the problem.

Tips for keeping your notebook cool include the following;
Always use the notebook on a flat, hard, even surface to allow air to circulate freely.
Do not use the notebook on soft furnishings such as pillows or cushions etc.
Avoid using the notebook with it resting on your lap as this also restricts the air flow.
If you live in a particularly warm/hot climate use a notebook cooler such as the example @ http://www.google.co...ved=0CGQQ8wIwAQ (example only)
Finally a regular clean out is a must.

NB: I have been called out to work and will not be able to reply again for a few hours but rest assured I will be back online later.

Rhiea

Rhiea

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm going to try to clean the fan out better, but aside from that The computer won't start again, and I have no clue why it started when I tried it last night.
The fans come on and the keyboard lights up, but the screen stays black and then the lights go back off. With the battery pulled out and the laptop plugged in nothing happens if I press the power button. I've heard that this type of computer has a problem with the a/c power input going bad, could that be part of the problem?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Yes the AC adapter could be the related to the issue as could the power jack that it plugs into on the notebook.
When the AC adapter is plugged in and powered on is there an illuminated green light on the adapter itself.

As you are going to do a full clean out of the system you can also inspect the power jack is securely attached to the MB.

A tip for you when dismantling a notebook is to have separate containers for the different size screws, this will help avoid using an incorrect sized screw in the wrong place which can potentially short out and destroy your MB.

If the problem persists after the full clean out I suggest that if you can you borrow a compatible adapter to try, if you cannot do this ask a local tech store to test it for you (many will do this for free) this will avoid any financial outlay until the cause of the issue is identified.

Rhiea

Rhiea

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have borrowed a second of the same laptop, and the one that works doesn't have a battery. It works fine off of the AC Adapter I use for my other computer. The battery also worked fine when put into the spare laptop.

I think it may have messed up something when it overheated, which will nee to be found and replaced. A problem like this is beyond my scope of skill to repair, so I think I'm going to try to take it to a computer repair place as soon as I have the money.

Thank you dearly for helping me out, and humoring a poor girl who has no clue what she's doing. XD

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
That is a sensible approach if you are not confident to undertake the task yourself,
I am sorry that it was not a quick repair for you, good luck with it and please let us know how it goes.

NB: Just to add, good trouble shooting on your behalf :thumbsup: