Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless in laptop failing

• Please log in to reply

ComputerKid

ComputerKid

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi. I have an Acer Aspire One 722 netbook with a Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter in it. I have only had this laptop for 8 months, so I'm hoping that the wireless adapter is not failing on me.... Recently, it can't connect well to WiFi. In the attached picture,wifi.PNG you can see that it shows the wireless bars with the yellow dot over it, saying I only have "limited" access to my WiFi. It doesn't show that I have internet access, it just shows that I have "limited access" to my WiFi in my house. It was doing the same thing at the WiFi at a hotel, so I don't think it is my router (although I will try resetting my router just in case).

HOWEVER, while it is not showing that I have internet access, I can still browse webpages and use the internet. But it seems to be a weaker signal, so webpages are loading slower, and it seems to be draining my battery life much quicker (due to a weak signal, im guessing).

I have tried rolling back the Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter driver, no luck. I tried then re-updating the driver. No luck. What should I try next?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Advertisements

SupeR GeekiN CognitO

SupeR GeekiN CognitO

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Hello ComputerKid.

So I'll assume you have no issues when connecting to
the router through ethernet(wired).

What make/model router? Have you recently/ever updated
the firmware?

How far away from the router are you when you experience these issues?

Make sure it's connecting to your network and not auto-connecting to a neighbor's
unsecured network, or something of that nature.

It was doing the same thing at the WiFi at a hotel

You should be careful at public "hotspots".
Never know what kind of nasty stuff you might run into.

:ph34r: SGC :ph34r:

ComputerKid

ComputerKid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Hello ComputerKid.

So I'll assume you have no issues when connecting to
the router through ethernet(wired).

What make/model router? Have you recently/ever updated
the firmware?

How far away from the router are you when you experience these issues?

Make sure it's connecting to your network and not auto-connecting to a neighbor's
unsecured network, or something of that nature.

I actually have not tried plugging it in through ethernet. I will try that now...

The router is a Netgear WNDR3400 N600 Dual Band Wireless Router. I have the most recent firmware for the router.

I am up 1 floor from the router, prob about 50 feet away. I will try moving closer to see if this helps, but I have NEVER had an issue in my room (which is where my desk is) before with getting a signal.

It is definitely connecting to my own, secured network. I have checked multiple times to be sure, I have turned off wifi and turned it back on to check, its definitely connected to my own (like I said in my original post, it even works okay. But it's just slower and drains my battery life).

The hotel was actually a hotel I was staying in, and while it technically was a "public hotspot", it was password protected, and you had to get the password from the hotel. But my only point about the hotel was that it seems to be an issue with my wireless adapter and/or computer, and NOT my router, since it has happened connected to different networks. I tried connecting to a neighbors unsecured wifi as well (only for a minute), and the same problem existed. So that leads me to believe that it is DEFINITELY a problem with my own computer/adapter.

Thanks!

Edited by ComputerKid, 18 August 2012 - 12:08 PM.

SupeR GeekiN CognitO

SupeR GeekiN CognitO

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Hello again.

Try running a speed test while connected through Wi-Fi.
Just click "Begin Test" when page is done loading.

Do not post the results, just see if the download speed matches the
advertised speed of your connection.

Next let's try connecting the laptop through an ethernet port
on the router, and see if the same issues occur.(not likely)

The hotel was actually a hotel I was staying in, and while it technically was a "public hotspot", it was password protected, and you had to get the password from the hotel.

That is good that it was password protected.
However, did this problem occur before your stay at the hotel,
or is this when you first noticed it?

The only reason I ask is that even protected hotspots
can be vulnerable to malicious activity.

Like for instance, if a commonly used program on
your system alerts you to an available update, while
connected to this hotspot, malware could be
uploaded through the update.

Though I think this would be pretty rare.

When did you first notice this issue is
my main concern.

After you do what I requested we'll see if
we can get a g2g tech. to help us along on this issue.

The reason I say this is due to the fact that
I am a student here and do not want to violate
any rules by having you run software/system scans
which I am not authorized to.

Thank you for your patience.

Edited by SupeR GeekiN CognitO, 18 August 2012 - 11:56 PM.

ComputerKid

ComputerKid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I did speed test both through WiFi and ethernet, and I get nearly the exact same results on both, which are exactly on par with what my service is providing... However, when I am just browsing the internet (e.g. Facebook, youtube, gmail), the WiFi is NOTICEABLY slower than the ethernet, so this seems non sequitur. However, when I plugged in the ethernet cable (I turned off wifi to ensure it is using ethernet, not wifi), the networking symbol in windows stayed as "not connected" as opposed to showing that I am using an ethernet connection...
ethernet.PNG

The problem first occured when I connected to the WiFi at the hotel. However, I was never able to get a full connection there. This problem did not occur after downloading any updates (I turn automatic updates off on everything, and in msconfig I uncheck any "Automatically Update" startup items to ensure that they wont even run in the background). The very first time I tried to connect there, this was a problem.

Two days ago, I ran a Quick Scan of Malwarebytes which found a few items, but none that solved this problem. I also ran a Quick Scan of my AV (Avast), which found nothing. Yesterday, I ran a Full Scan of Malwarebytes and it found nothing else after the Quick Scan. I am about to run a Full Scan of Avast.

Thank you for your help! I am a student too, so I understand, and hopefully a g2g tech will find this and help me.

SupeR GeekiN CognitO

SupeR GeekiN CognitO

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Two days ago, I ran a Quick Scan of Malwarebytes which found a few items, but none that solved this problem.

You might want to have a staff member check
your system out just to be sure it's not
some form of malware causing this problem.

Just follow the steps here and
a staff member will assist you a.s.a.p.

ComputerKid

ComputerKid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Staff member help needed!!!! Thank you!!

Edited by Troy, 20 August 2012 - 11:25 PM.
Deleted OTL log

SupeR GeekiN CognitO

SupeR GeekiN CognitO

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

This is not the proper forum for malware issues.

Create a new topic in here and post your OTL log
along with a link to this topic.

Hopefully we can get this issue resolved for you. :thumbsup:

ComputerKid

ComputerKid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thank you!! Here is the link in case you want to follow it.