Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Anyway to fix an external hard drive that was dropped?

• Please log in to reply

bobcat78

bobcat78

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
So I was moving my WD external hard drive and it slipped and fell about 5 feet onto a carpeted floor. Doesn't make any unusual noise and the light still blinks like normal when it comes on. Of course when I plug it in it doesn't register. Reading a few posts on the internet I didn't find any stories of this happening and it fixing itself much to my dismay. Is there anyway I can recover the data sort of taking it to an expert and paying big money?

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
It depends as to what is wrong. If it is not under warranty, I would open it up and make sure it is still properly connected. It might be that the interface is disconnected/damaged, not the disk itself. If that does not work, try directly connecting the disk to see if it works.

bobcat78

bobcat78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I beleive it is no longer under warranty but I will double check. Waiting to get a replacement drive before I try to fix it from what I understand (which is very limited) most of the time it will work only for a short while and die again so I'd like to have something on had to back it up. Any particular way to open it? Doesn't have any screws who anyway to open it that I can see.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Can you supply the make model of the external encloser.?

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Most of the complete external cases can be difficult to get into, which is why I prefer to get a disk and a separate external case. Also, it means if the interface fails, you can replace it easier and without an issue with the warranty.

In this case, the issue could be damage due to physical impact, which means that the drive might continue to work, if the problem is not with the drive, or it might not work at all, but it is good to have a disk to backup the data to.

The model of the external drive would be helpful since someone else might know how to get into it. It is also possible that you might have to destroy the case (carefully) to get the disk out.

bobcat78

bobcat78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Sorry for the delay having other problems with my laptop (when it rains it pours.) Anyways it is a Western Digital elements.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Go to the link below, open the case, and report findings.

>

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Still like to hear what your findings are but this may be a resource to use. this fellow,

fzabkar,

is a wizard with HDDs. register and post.

>

http://community.wdc...ge/user-id/4742

bobcat78

bobcat78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I took it apart easy enough with the help of that video. Don't know what I expected to find maybe a wire that was unplugged and a note that says make sure its plugged in. I didn't see anything wrong which doesn't say much. I couldn't go any further because I didn't have the screwdriver to take off the circut board.

I don't think it's an important part but I might as well ask nonetheless. Its the peice of bent metal that looks like its just there to hold the USB connecter in place but I don't know for sure, it is loose.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Try directly connecting the disk to your system and see if it works.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I don't believe that the metal piece is part of USB. It somewhat rides over the hard drive. If you look closer at the video you will see how it is positioned. I am suspecting some type of ground because it wraps over the drive part way.

bobcat78

bobcat78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Can I attach it to a laptop?

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Yes, you should be able to attach it to another computer, but the interface type needs to be what the computer has or you will need an adapter, such as an external case. Most likely the disk is an IDE or perhaps a SATA drive, both of which would be easier to attach to a desktop computer.

bobcat78

bobcat78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
The WD is a sata. The only desktop I have available is an old Dell XPS I purchased around 2002-2003 whould that be compatable? I'm afriad my knowledge in this area is nothing.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Most likely that machine would not have a SATA connection. You could buy an external SATA case which would attach by means of USB. You could also buy a SATA controller.

If you go with the external case and the drive does not work, then you could buy a replacement drive and then have an external drive again.

Another option is to see if you can find someone near you who has a machine with a SATA controller on their machine.