Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Anyway to fix an external hard drive that was dropped?

• Please log in to reply

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Buy something similar to this and test your hard drive, they are cheap and very useful.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16812232002

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.
Been a while since we heard from you. Have you solved your problem? An update on your Topic would be appreciated.

bobcat78

bobcat78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
My apologies for not posting a reply sooner. I just recently ordered the SATA adapter a small torx screwdriver to open up the drive. I also purchased and hooked up another external hard drive. I would have felt silly if I managed to retrieve the data only to not have the space to save it.

I will let you know what happens. I went for the cheapest shipping so probably 2-3 weeks. Hopefully this will work as I understand if this doesn’t work the drive is dead?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thank you very much for the update. I do hope you are successful in retrieving your date..

We would welcome an update on the outcome as this may help others reading the topic in the future.

bobcat78

bobcat78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Still waiting on it to arrive. I did think of a question though. If it does work and I can attempt to recover will there be a time window?

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
If the problem is not with the disk itself, then it should continue to work as any other disk, unless it was also damaged. In other words, backup the data asap and hopefully the disk will continue to work, but any electronic device can fail at any time.

bobcat78

bobcat78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
*EDIT*

Ok I found an L shaped extention in the box I missed before and was able to connect. I attached it along with the power for it. Didn't work sadly. It installed and said the device is ready for use. Whe I clicked on computer I can only see my C:, D: (Recovery), F: (my new WD I was going to move everything to), and E: (CD drive).

I can see from my taskbar the safely remove hardware icon. It has the UBS connection for it on there but I'm guessing that is just for the adapter itself not the harddrive.

Edited by bobcat78, 23 September 2012 - 11:46 AM.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
You might also look in the system settings (manage computer, devices), to see if the drive can be seen there. If the partition table was wiped out, it would not show up with a drive letter. It might not be there, but it is something to check. You could also see if there is a manufacturer diagnostic for the disk and see if it can see it.

Can you feel if the drive is spinning up? Is there any access to the drive when you power it up?

bobcat78

bobcat78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Posted Image

I beleive that it is showing. Is it one of those WD? I have I new WD external hard drive I just bought to replace the damaged one, it is currently connected along with the broken one. Not sure what that USB Device is. The only other thing I have plugged in the USB ports is my mouse.

The disk that came with it is a mini disk and I can't use it.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
You can typically download the diag. program from the manufacturer's web site.

I would disconnect the new disk, to make things clearer and see what you see.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
This is the drive that is showing,

Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD3200BEVT 320GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive

Below is a link for the Sindows ver of Data Lifeguard,. Follow the instructions to use. do not use WRITE ZEROS,

> http://www.free-down...ic-for-windows/

You can use a DOS ver from this link,

> http://support.wdc.c...119&wdc_lang=en

Sorry
Kemasa , your post was not shwing.

Edited by iammykyl, 23 September 2012 - 04:50 PM.

bobcat78

bobcat78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Ok I unplugged the other one and all that is left is the WDC one. I ran a quick test and it passed, running the extended one now. So for it says smart status has passed. I'm guessing it is damaged since its capacity is at 320 GB and it was a 1 TB drive.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

If you have unplugged your new external HDD and if WDC WD3200BEVT

is showing, you might well be right that the drive is damaged, or you

received

a package not containing a 1TB drive.

bobcat78

bobcat78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Just finished the extended test and it passed. Says the capacity is 320.07 GB. Is there anyway to reach the data in it?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Try this one first,.

> http://www.piriform.com/recuva