Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

I think the hard drive wants a vacation! I hope it's not perm

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts
Depending on the length of the beeps it may be a memory issue, if you are getting 3 long beeps it could be a keyboard error,, please see http://acronymsonlin.../beep_chart.asp let us know which is the appropriate description please.

How do I get the drivers to download if I can't see anything? not being sarcastic- just puzzled.

From your reply #12

I have to do hard shut down and then wait a minute or two and turn it back on - which gives me safe mode options.

This suggested that the computer would work in safe mode, sorry for the confusion.

Not having a PSU to swap in is a problem as it cannot be ruled in or out as the problem unless you get it tested by a local tech store, some will do this for free.

If the problem is with the integrated video chip you can fit an add on video card but be aware that not many video cards will function with a PSU that only has a 250W output.

For now check out the Ram (see my canned text below) and if necessary the keyboard, try swapping it if you can or disconnecting and then reconnecting it if you cannot.

How to physically test your Ram.

The following checks require the computer case to be opened so take the following safety precautions 1st, disconnect the power cord from the wall socket and take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case.

Have a pencil and notepad to hand.

Remove each stick of Ram and blow out the memory slots.

Insert the first stick of Ram in memory slot one, reconnect the power and in the case of a desktop computer the video to screen cable.

Power up the computer and see how it goes.

Make a note of the results.

Repeat the procedure until the first stick of Ram has been tested in each memory slot and the results written down.

Remove the first stick of Ram and put it to one side on top of a piece of paper with the number one on it for identification purposes.

Repeat the procedure with all Ram until each stick has been tested in all slots, the results written down and the sticks identified numerically.

Please note that some MBs (motherboards) will not boot unless there is Ram in slot one so please provide us with your motherboard details, brand, model name/number and any revision number, these details may be found by the CPU, between the PCI slots and/or around the edge of the motherboard, once we have the MB details we can look for the user manual.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
Hi.

It has been some time since we heard from you, have you resolved your problem? An update would be appreciated. Following your Thread to a conclusion helps all who may read this Topic in the future.

Thanks.