Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The most obscure problem ever

• Please log in to reply

Bisho42

Bisho42

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Okay, so a month or so back I reformatted my laptop's hard drive and reinstalled Windows XP, got all my drivers back and started using it as normal. However, occasionally (usually when I'm installing something, although sometimes it happens when I have my external hard drive connected as well) the laptop will start playing up, anything that was working would either start glitching out, give an error message or just randomly close, if I tried to open Task manager it would give me a "0xc000012d" error, the text in the Start button would disappear, my user name at the top of the start menu would also disappear, if I was in a folder and put my mouse over one of the little side bar menu things it would turn the same colour as the side bar.
This issue is making it almost impossible to use my laptop how I want it, since my desktop broke the other day I need this to function in its stead, just the basics though, a few games, iTunes (one of the installers that causes this error), stuff like that. However I can't install half the things I need, for instance the dotnet framework, as they all cause this error.
I've never heard of anything like this and anytime I try to Google it I find nothing that helps, any form of help would be very very much appreciated.
My laptop is an Acer Aspire One (model number ZG5) with a 1.60 GHz processor and 0.98 gig of RAM.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
what is error code 0xc000012d ?

Basically, it means that the application failed to start/initialize properly.

Prior Security Software?

Any security software still installed?

A possible reason for this problem is that you have conflicting security software installed fully or partially on the PC. Remove all other security software from the PC.

You may need to use a cleanup tool to remove your prior security software:

Bisho42

Bisho42

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Do you mean as in anti-virus software? In that case I'm using Avast, and it's what I used before I reformatted too, it was also one of the first things I installed after I fixed up all of my drivers.
Also I already checked out that error code earlier, it was actually the reason I found this site, I count myself lucky for that.
Something I think I left out before is that some programs, when having error messages will pop up saying that there's insufficient system resources or something like that (I'm not sure exactly, whenever this happens it's usually when I'm half way through something, so I'm way too frustrated to take note of it as I usually just slam the enter key)
It's this mix of errors which is making this problem so hard for me to figure out.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
If you have 2 kind of anti-virus working like Avast & maybe Microsoft Security Essentials (that might have install itself without you noticing) then it is normal that the conflict of the two working at the same time would use most of your resources leaving almost none for your other programs.

Do a thorough search to make sure only avast is installed.
Ceck your add remove programs or install REVO Uninstaller and run it to see if it finds any other programs like anti virus or malware programs that are all running simultaneously

Bisho42

Bisho42

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I don't appear to have that installed, just judging from the add/remove programs list.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
If you start your task manager and look at the processes running, which ones takes most of your resources

Bisho42

Bisho42

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Right at this moment it's Chrome but if that weren't running I think it'd either be AvastSvc.exe, svchost.exe, RTHDCPL.EXE or explorer.exe.
This problem has had me completely stumped for this entire weekend, I don't understand it one bit.