Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can Connect to Wireless Network, but no Internet Access

• Please log in to reply

VicViper22

VicViper22

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Windows 7 Professional, 64-Bit
Dell Studio XPS 9000
DW1525 WLAN PCI-e card
Linksys E-3000 Router (Dual-Band router)

The problem started yesterday.

Whenever I try to connect to either SSID on the Dell machine, the little wireless icon that indicates wireless strength has a yellow ! sign in front of it. When I run ipconfig, I have an IP address, but no internet access. Yet, I have an old IBM Thinkpad R40 with Debian on it and it can connect to the 2.4 GHz network just fine.

Pinging the router IP from the Dell gives me 4 "request timed out" errors. (router ip: 192.168.5.1)

Is this a router problem or a Windows problem?

Rebooted the router, still no internet access on the Dell machine. This is so frustrating.

Tried a 2nd wireless card, Linksys wusb100, in the Dell Machine. Connected to the 2.4 GHz network and still no internet access, despite being connected to the router.

I am typing this from the Debian laptop, which is connecting to the 2.4 GHz network.

Can anyone help me?

Edited by VicViper22, 19 August 2012 - 09:00 AM.

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts
What IP address do you get when you connect?

Regards,
Olrik

VicViper22

VicViper22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Artellos, you can now ignore this topic. I resolved the problem by using the image on the Dell partition to go back to factory settings and wireless is now working. The issue is resolved.