Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PSU and Graphics Card Question

• Please log in to reply

p71p

p71p

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Quite sometime ago my graphics card died and i also replaced my PSU. As it was a rush job to get the pc up and running (due to work) i bought exactly the same PSU - Enlight - Model GPS-350AB C, Peak power 350w - Rated 300w, also states 285w max. My graphics card was inno3D (nvidia) GF-8400-GS-DDR2-64bit-256mb PCI express.

My question is, or rather questions, how do i know what PSU is compatible with my PC and then, what graphics card would be compatible with my PC?

My PC is Currently running on vista home premium service pack 2,
spec of pc as follows
Zoostorm ECS G31
Intel core 2 quad CPU Q9300 @2.50ghz,
4 GB ram

Not amazingly powerful but does the job and not too slow really. I am currently using my built in graphics port as i no longer have a graphics card installed. I was looking to install a 512mb graphics card rather than a 256. I think my PSU would have to be upgraded for a 256mb card. I need to upgrade as i watch a lot of video footage and picures for my work.

Any information on a suitable PSU and graphics card would be much appreciated.

I do apologise if i have not supplied the right information required to determine what i need.

Thank you

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
350watt is on the borderline as it is,

If you want to upgrade to a more recent and decent video card that the 8400gs you had you will surely need a better PSU.

For the PSU how to know which one to buy will depend on the video card you will purchase, some need a minimum of 350 or 400 or 500 watts to work properly. Purchase the Video card you want first and then buy a PSU at least 50 watts (100 to be sure) more than the minimum requirement for your card.

Suggestion for Video Card that should be good for your requirements
http://www.nvidia.co..._gt_240_us.html