Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

memory/graphic card upgrade

• Please log in to reply

jojobo36

jojobo36

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
Hi I am looking to upgrade some of my components on my computer. We are Facebook fanatics and enjoy playing the games on their website. However, my computer can't handle some of the games that we play, It lags, slows down, etc.
My operating system is as follows-

Windows Vista Home
AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core Processor 4000+
1.0 GB ram
NVIDIA GeForce 6150sf Nforce 430

My question is.. If I would upgrade the 1.0 GB of ram to a 3.0 GB. Will the graphics card need to be replaced as well?? or any other components?
We aren't looking for a gaming system.. just big enough to handle facebook games...

I found a website that I used to check my Ram and what is compatible to put into the computer.. Is there a such website that can help me decide what is compatible for a graphics card if need one? or how do I know what one to purchase.

Thanks you so much for your time..
Joann

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Your problem is your RAM, Vista requires a minimum of 2gb to run smoothly and with only 1gb Vista will take most of your memory leaving none for any other programs that uses memory (games, video ect.)

2- Your actual video card is integrated so it takes part of your RAM to work making your 1gb even less for Vista to run.

Upgrade your RAM to 2gb minimum (4gb if you want to keep your Integrated Video) or upgrade your Video to a PCI-E card (if your motherboard as a slot for it) any decent video card will be good for the Facebook games.

You can go to Crucial website and have them analyse your system and advise you on what is compatible (you do not need to buy from them)
http://www.crucial.c...romo/index.aspx

Hope that helps

jojobo36

jojobo36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Thank you so much for your fast reply. Sounds like I only really need to do is upgrade the Ram.. I appreciate you help/advice. :thumbsup:

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Glad I could help, good Facebook gaming