Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keyboard and Mouse Work in BIOS but not in XP - Dell Inspiron

• Please log in to reply

maverick0987

maverick0987

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
I have seen many topics on the web about this but no resolutions. I am using a logitech wireless keyboard and mouse. The lights on the USB transmitter come on when BIOS is booting. I am also able to hit F8 to get to the Windows option screen. I can get to a command prompt and have tried safe mode. To no avail. I ran chkdisk in DOS and it found no issues with HDD. At this point I have no idea what to do. I have a USB linksys wireless signal reciever and the lights on it go off at the same time as the keyboard and mouse transmitter, which tells me that all USB functions are being lost once the XP boot screen begins. The computer has no ps/2 connections so I have to use USB peripheral devices. Any advice? I have important things on the HDD but i dont mind reinstalling windows as long as my stuff can be preserved.

Thanks you in advance for any help!

P.S.

I forgot to mention that this trouble all began after a blue screen error occured and I rebooted the system.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

. I am using a logitech wireless keyboard and mouse

connect a non wireless usb keyboard and mouse.

maverick0987

maverick0987

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I purchase a wired USB keyboard and mouse. To no avail. I think it may be a HDD failure. I tried booting from Windows XP CD and choosing repair option but it said there was an error found sym_hi.sys was corrupted? Has to be something on my computer thats corrupted because the CD has never come out of the package? If indeed it is HDD failure I need to know a few things. Best way to back up my hard drive if I can only work in MS-DOS? I have large USB drives I can access from DOS and back up to. Is there a bootable utility I could use? Lastly, that system has a solo core pentium in it. Should I consider upgrading the motherboard and everything, I get the feeling that's the next thing to go. Thanks for the help!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. There are two repair options on the XP CD, one the first R is to use recovery console

The second option is to make a repair install of windows
So, as you can see from the image below, you need to try and select on that screen, not the enter key, but the R to enter recovery console.
If you were to key enter you would then have the second opportunity to key R to make a repair install shown on the second image

Posted Image

Posted Image

So please clarify which repair option you were trying.
If you can access recovery console at the prompt type

chkdsk C: /r

Note the space please between C: and /r

2. If that fails and
moving to recovering your data, you may either, take out the HDD and connect it in a docking station or enclosue, by usb to another computer and you should then see the drive and be able to copy your data irrespective of the fact that it will not load windows.

OR use Puppy and follow the instructions to make yourself a CD using the burning program provided in the link, as it is an ISO image and many standard burning programs will not make an ISO image CD.
http://www.geekstogo...over-your-data/

Please post back if you require any additional help with Puppy and of course in any case, wehn you reach the next stage

I purchase a wired USB keyboard and mouse

You may try entering BIOS setup and see if there is an entry - enable legacy USB, if there is set that enabled.

maverick0987

maverick0987

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
The frustrating part is that I received the "sym_hi.sys corrupted file" alert before I made it to the screenshot you provided. The blue setup screen was still loading drivers at the bottom when I got that. Just an idea, is there a way to see if one of my RAM modules is bad? Could this be the root of the problem? If one was bad I'd assume the other one would default. I have 2 2gb DIMM's. I just tried a different WIndows XP CD I had lying around and now it won't boot from CD. It looks at the disc for a minute and then skips ahead to the windows startup screen. This thing is possessed!!!

At this point, I guess I'll have to back up my data. That will afford me the ability to take some chances and format the Hard Drive and see if I can fix the thing lol. Thoughts?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
When you say you booted from the CD and chose repair option

I tried booting from Windows XP CD and choosing repair option

you mean I presume, you were going to choose repair, but as you then post - you never got that far. = am I right please.
Sorry if I have misunderstood
You did not press F6 - did you- install drivers.

It maybe ram, but I doubt it, the sym_hi.sys
is the file that allows the system to see the hard drive - in this case.

The SYMLVDSCSI driver (sym_hi.sys) is named "Symbios PCI
High Performance Driver" It supports the following device
and associated Symbios host adapter(s):

To test the ram, the easeist way if you feel able is to open the case and take out one stick of ram - if of course you have more than one and then if it still fails change them over.
There are precautions to take, so if you are unsure please do ask.

Also you may run memtest

http://www.geekstogo...sing-memtest86/