Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

acer aspire not connecting to internet

• Please log in to reply

Jodi-Lyn

Jodi-Lyn

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello all my mothers Acer Aspire 7741Z-4815 Connected to the internet yesterday and now it wont, we have tablets and another computer that is connecting to the interent. I have restarted both the modem and router and computer multiple times and uninstalled the driver to let Windows 7 re-install it. My mother goes to online school and I could really use the help since I have tried everything I know.

Thank you

Advertisements

narenxp

narenxp

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
what antivirus do you use?

Uninstall your antivirus and see if you can connect

Edited by Macboatmaster, 21 August 2012 - 06:22 PM.
Caution is required. Do not browse the internet without an Anti-virus installed.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Jodi-Lyn

Welcome to Geeksto Go

It is rather unlikely, that your anti-virus program is involved in this problem, if the computer simply will NOT make any connection to the Internet.

In order to assist we need to know

1. Are you connecting using a wireless connection - the more likely I presume on that Acer
or hard wired by ethernet

2. What is the exact problem - when you open a browser and attempt to connect what error message is received please.

3. If you are connecting by wireless to the modem/router is the icon on the taskbar showing that the wireless adaptor is seeing signals from the router.
This is not indicative of the fact it will then connect to the internet, but without that it most certainly will not

4. When you open the control panel and network and sharing centre - what is shown there please insofar as the connection - on that page click the troubleshooter and see what report is received when you then click on Internet Connections and then Network adaptor

5. If you still have no connection, whilst on the network and sharing centre page and on left pane click on change adator settings please, what are shown please on adaptor settings and do any of the adaptors shown indicate a problem

6. If the difficulty is with a wireless connection explore this please
http://acer.custhelp...et%20connection

checking this aspect FIRST
On most notebooks and netbooks, there will be a physical button or switch, an FN key combination or both to turn on the wireless feature of the computer

whch returns back to my question at 3 above

7. If connecting wirelessly double click the wirless adaptor in the adaptor settings window mentioned above and then on wireless properties and security check your wireless key by clicking to check show characters.
Retype if necessary and do not forget to uncheck show characters.

8. It is included in the link, but do check device manager, network adaptors to ensure there is no warning against entries for those devices.
That is start (Windows button) right click Computer, properties and then on left pane device manager.

9. Here is the link to drivers for your computer
Depending on which connection you are referring to download and install the LAN driver and the wireless betwork driver as appropriate
http://support.acer....ault.aspx?tab=1

Please post for further advice if you work your way through all of this and it still fails.

Caution - be extremely careful uninstalling anti-virus and using internet connection.

narenxp

narenxp

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

It is rather unlikely, that your anti-virus program is involved in this problem, if the computer simply will NOT make any connection to the Internet.

You're wrong.There was a bug in mcafee update last week that is causing network issues.Reinstalling mcafee would fix it.I didnot suggest user to surf internet without antivirus but to check if uninstalling mcafee has restored the internet connection.

Jodi-Lyn

Jodi-Lyn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Mcafee oddly enough if not on this computer just some sort of Verizon protection. And now it wont connect through a Ethernet cable either.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try the most obvious suggestion first.

Please Go to

1: START and the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Mcafee oddly enough if not on this computer just some sort of Verizon protection. And now it wont connect through a Ethernet cable either.

just as a note, the verizon protection suite is made by McAffee...so it might be vulnerable to the same updates that have caused problems recently for regular McAffee users.

while it's not suggested to browse the internet without an antivirus installed, it is worth checking to see if the antivirus is to blame

http://service.mcafe...spx?id=TS101446

McAffee's suggestion for testing if the issue is related to the AV update is to start the computer in safemode with networking and see if your network connection works. if it does, then it could be the fault of the antivirus

Jodi-Lyn

Jodi-Lyn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Jodi-Lyn

Welcome to Geeksto Go

In order to assist we need to know

1. Are you connecting using a wireless connection - the more likely I presume on that Acer
or hard wired by ethernet

2. What is the exact problem - when you open a browser and attempt to connect what error message is received please.

3. If you are connecting by wireless to the modem/router is the icon on the taskbar showing that the wireless adaptor is seeing signals from the router.
This is not indicative of the fact it will then connect to the internet, but without that it most certainly will not

4. When you open the control panel and network and sharing centre - what is shown there please insofar as the connection - on that page click the troubleshooter and see what report is received when you then click on Internet Connections and then Network adaptor

5. If you still have no connection, whilst on the network and sharing centre page and on left pane click on change adator settings please, what are shown please on adaptor settings and do any of the adaptors shown indicate a problem

6. If the difficulty is with a wireless connection explore this please
http://acer.custhelp...et%20connection

checking this aspect FIRST
On most notebooks and netbooks, there will be a physical button or switch, an FN key combination or both to turn on the wireless feature of the computer

whch returns back to my question at 3 above

7. If connecting wirelessly double click the wirless adaptor in the adaptor settings window mentioned above and then on wireless properties and security check your wireless key by clicking to check show characters.
Retype if necessary and do not forget to uncheck show characters.

8. It is included in the link, but do check device manager, network adaptors to ensurethereis no warning against entries for those devices.
That is start (Windows button) right click Computer, properties and then on left pane device manager.

9. Here is the link to drivers for your computer
Depending on which connection you are referring to download and install the LAN driver and the wireless betwork driver as appropriate
http://support.acer....ault.aspx?tab=1

Please post for further advice if you work your way through all of this and it still fails.

Caution - be extremely careful uninstalling anti-virus and using internet connection.

I attempted this and It's wont connect even with the ethernet cable and I found most to be very confusing ... sorry , But thank you for your help.

Jodi-Lyn

Jodi-Lyn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Try the most obvious suggestion first.

Please Go to

1: START and the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Jodi no need to quote when you are answering directly to a suggestion. You can just direct your response to the person who posted the instructions saving you some time and having to go through a long quote to get to your response. ;) :thumbsup:

Advertisements

Jodi-Lyn

Jodi-Lyn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
moms comp1.jpg

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Try please the suggestion from my colleague dsenette on the link he provided in post 7
this is to start with

Workaround 1

If you are unable to access the Internet after the recent update, perform the steps in this section. If you have Internet access, proceed to Workaround 2.
  • Restart your system in Safe mode with Networking:
  • Save your data and close all open programs.
  • Restart you computer. While the system is booting press and hold the F8 key until you enter the Advanced Boot menu.

NOTE: Faster systems may boot before you can press the F8 key. If your computer boots normally, restart and try again.
  • In the Advanced Boot menu, use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode with Networking and then press ENTER.

2. When Windows finishes loading in Safe mode, open Internet Explorer and navigate to a few well know web pages.

• If you are able to successfully access the Internet, continue to Workaround 2.
  • If you are still unable to access the Internet, follow the uninstall and reinstall steps in Workaround 3.
  • FOR details of how to progress if on Safe Mode with Networking you have a connection, ie: Workaround 2 and if you do NOT have a connection, workaround 3, refer back to the link please.

Jodi-Lyn

Jodi-Lyn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I attempted this and all cmd promt and I still have no access to the internet and there was never Mcafee on her computer. She pays for verizon suite.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

I attempted this and all cmd promt and I still have no access to the internet and there was never Mcafee on her computer. She pays for verizon suite.

Yes , we read that the first time, you posted it, but as you can see, my colleague dsenette, posted as below

just as a note, the verizon protection suite is made by McAffee...so it might be vulnerable to the same updates that have caused problems recently for regular McAffee users.
- from his post 7.

What please is the answer to 2, 4 and 5, on my original post - that is post 3.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I have posted separately so you do not miss it, if you have already read my previous post

http://www22.verizon.../addonservices/

Verizon - go to the link above -
Verizon Internet Security Suite - powered by McAfee

that as my colleague said may well be the cause of the problem.

YOU may either proceed to uninstall Verizon, using the same procedure as on the link before
OR
as you say you have other computers that are connecting if they are also using Verizon, it may be reasonable to presume that it is not that.

Either way please answer the questions in my previous post