Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Gpu Advice

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
Sorry for my mistake Posted Image, don't know how a transcribed the number, though my wife says I am deaf when she talks to me and dyslexic if she leaves me a note Posted Image.
not a complete waste of time and no harm done.

So the CPU look good, memory slots are initialized, POST then gets as far as PCI Bus Assign Resources then halts at code 97 Console Output devices connect, looks like the video card is not seen. If you know that the Asus Matrix is good and had the correct cables attached, then the first suspect is the PSU, even though it is new and powers the system to the halt point, when it comes to the juice need for the video card, a fault could stop the POST.

Have you access to another PSU you could swap in and do a test?

Can you remember the number and sequence of the beeps you heard?

Edited by iammykyl, 03 January 2013 - 05:49 AM.

Advertisements

magnetmagmaa

magnetmagmaa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
ahaha dont worry :D And Well the only other power supply i have access to is on a six year old computer and i dont think it would be powerful enough, and the beeps i only heard one just a single beep near the begginning. also im pretty sure the graphics card should be fine as i heard the Asus matrix PLatinum video cards are hand slected from refernce cards also it has an led strip indicator showing how much stress it is under and when i turn the computer on it goes from slightly dark blue to light blue, i could try testing the graphics card from the old computer?

magnetmagmaa

magnetmagmaa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
I installed the old graphics card into the computer and turned it on and it posted, it only used 1 6 pin connector but i tried both wires on it seperatly to check that there's nothing wrong with the wires and they were both fine after it posted and came up with msi it sayed something about the boot device and displayed debug code 38 what's does that mean? also is there something wrong with my Asus Matrix graphics card then? also when i installed the old graphics card after it posted the keyboard and mouse where operable they both worked fine.
Thanks for any help :D

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
Please ignore this post and go to #35
One beep just after power on, usually means POST is being attempted. If the following does not work, then further testing will be needed. Please keep a note of beep codes at each step.

Remove the keyboard and mouse, all connection to the case headers, all HDDs, remove all the RAM and the video card.
All that should now be connected are, two cables to the Mobo, CPU heat-sink fan, case fans, system speaker.
A> Test. You should hear a series of long, single beeps?? (NO MEMORY, in this case) If OK, go next step. If silence?? Fail. First suspect the PSU.

B> Install one stick of RAM in slot one. Test.
Silence, long single beeps, or series of short beeps?? indicate a problem with the memory. If you get short beeps?? verify that the memory is in the appropriate motherboard slots. A fail here means checking every stick of RAM in slot one. (keep good and bad sticks separate) If all sticks fail, stop and post. If you find a good stick,
the Beep pattern should change to one long and several short beeps indicating a missing graphics card. Go next step

[quote]i could try testing the graphics card from the old computer/quote]

C> It would be worth trying if it requires less power, especially if it has no PEG leads needed. if it is only drawing power from the slot? try first using the new PSU, then swap in the six year old one, results?

Edited by iammykyl, 03 January 2013 - 09:26 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
Had a slight issue with my ISP today, so post seemed to have got out of order. For the moment ignore my post #34.

0x38 Post-Memory North Bridge initialization (North Bridge module specific) Sort of undefined this one, likely that there is a problem reading exactly properties of the RAM, would not be surprised to find the timing and voltage set to defaults. This can be checked later in the BIOS.

is there something wrong with my Asus Matrix graphics card then?

I don't think so, The six year old card requires less watts/amps, so no halt. The Matrix requires more power, so looks like ther is something wrong with the PSU as it is not delivering enough watts/amps for MSI or Asus cards.

Please try the six your old PSU with the six your old video card. If POST is successful. Please let us know exactly what is connected and installed. Do not make any other alterations.

Did you get any beep codes?
Did you get anything displayed on the monitor?

Your keyboard/mouse now work as they are initialized after the halt 97 error as well as the USB devices.

magnetmagmaa

magnetmagmaa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
I assume you mean install the old power supply and graphics card into my new set-up, well I was about to do it when i notice the old power supply is modular and doesn't actually have the cables connected hat would be compatible with my system, it hasn't got the right power cables for the motherboard etcetera so im stumped what to do now?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
A bummer your spare PSU is not suitable.

PCI-E slot and Mobo appear to be OK as you got the rig to POST.
The MSI GPU would not work and if the Asus GPU was OK when you stopped using it (I can't see a reason for it to suddenly not work) When you tested it in the new rig, did you use 2 x 8 pin connectors?? If yes, Looks more likely there is a fault on the PSU, (even though it could support a lower spec card) as against the other 2 cards both being faulty. Hope I am not rambling too much.

To sort the issue, I see the options as being.

Use a suitable know working PSU, take the Xigmatek PSU to a local computer store and have it tested under full load, RMA the PSU.
Test the MSI GPU in another computer, a friends maybe. RMA the MSI card.

If another watching member has any other suggestion, Posted Imageplease

Let us know what you think.

Some local stores here will test a PSU for free. Be worth using the telephone to check your area.

Edited by iammykyl, 05 January 2013 - 09:00 AM.

magnetmagmaa

magnetmagmaa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
The MSI gpu was the graphics card I was going to buy but Instead I bought the Asus gpu that wouldn't work with the new rig, the old graphics card that worked in the new rig is a Sapphire graphics card, which only uses 1 PCIe cable and only a six pin one not eight, what I will try to do is to see if a friends could be nice enough to lend me a power supply for a day or if they don't want to I could take my graphics card round there's to try it, if neither of them is possible I will find a local shop to test my power supply, Thanks for all your help I will get back to you when its sorted :D

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
Thanks magnetmagmaa for the clarification,, I was thinking you had 3 cards as the MSI was on you list in Post #28.

The ideal would be if your friend would let you try the GPU in their computer and if is faulty, saves you having to take out the PSU.
Your local store may even test the GPU but would probable charge you.

Will wait for your results.

magnetmagmaa

magnetmagmaa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
I was not able to test my graphics card tested in a friends computer but I took my power supply down to a local hardware store and got it tested for free and well the power supply is fine so does that mean the problem lies with the graphics card? just wondering would it make a difference if the cable I used that plugs from the back of the power supply into the mains electricity was an old about 5 years old would that affect the power delivery in any way?
Thanks for any help :D

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts

just wondering would it make a difference if the cable I used that plugs from the back of the power supply into the mains electricity was an old about 5 years old would that affect the power delivery in any way?

No. If the cable was faulty, it would blow a fuse or not delivery any power.

Can you try a different type of signal cable to the monitor, VGA or HDMI?
Can you try the video card in the second PCI-E x16 slot. If that works, the Mobo is faulty.

If still no success, I can't think of any other test to do yourself, I would RMA the GPU.

magnetmagmaa

magnetmagmaa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Ok I will do That Now Then tell you the results as soon as Im done :D

magnetmagmaa

magnetmagmaa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Ok I put the graphics card into a different PCI Express slot and it still came up with debug code 97 and there was no video output, then I took your advice about trying to connect by HDMI and the same thing happend.
This means that the problem lies with the graphics card right? I will probably try to get my Graphics card tested at the local hardware shop where I tested my PSU then if its Not working properly I will RMA it.
:D

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
Very disappointing and frustrating for you.
Will wait to hear the test results.

magnetmagmaa

magnetmagmaa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Well the Local Hardware shop did not want to test my graphics card in one for their computer for free but they said they would test one of there graphics cards in my computer for free, as we already know the power supply is fine it seems like a good idea, so im taking it down there monday i will tell you the results then :D