Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Possible bad memory slots?

• Please log in to reply

Moose78

Moose78

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
I've just finished up my first pc build, and when I install all four sticks of ram, the computer will not start, but it goes into a cycle where it just restarts itself. I went down to just the basics (processor and one stick of ram and it booted fine. Put all components and memory back in, and same issue as before. Went down to two sticks of ram, with everything still installed, and it boots fine. So for now, I'm running it with the two memory sticks and it seems fine, got the OS installed as well. I've moved the sticks of ram around as well, and it seems it is the two slots farthest away from the cpu fan that are problematic. Could those two slots be faulty?

The system is:

Windows 7 Home 64 bit
MSI Z77A-G45 Intel Z77 Socket Motherboard
Intel I5 core due 2500k processor
Thermaltake 750W Modular Power Supply. 80+ Bronze
EVGA 560 TI 2gb
Corsair vengance blue 4 gb sticks

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts
Hi Moose78

Sorry to hear that you are having issues with the new build.
It may be that one or two of the memory slots are bad meaning that the board should be returned, one suggestion for you first though is if you have not done so already clear the CMOS by removing the silver CR2032 battery for a few minutes and then replace it, just in case it is a bad MB setting that is causing this.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Moose78

Moose78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Unfortunately, after clearing the CMOS, the condition still exists. At least I can still use the machine, but now begins the process of rma's and what not. Anyhow, thank you for your prompt response, always very thankful of the help I've received here.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts
Sorry to hear that the issue is not resolved Posted Image

I hope that you have better luck with the replacement MB, please let us know how it goes and any questions give us a shout.